Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2003 8:46:42 PM EDT
I read an article that said that ARs can and will be able to be chambered in the new 223WSSM cartridge. Any word on anything any maker yet?

The article mentioned that the magazine can handle it. That is would just be a single stacker instead of the normal double stacked style. I think they mentioned Oly Arms as the one coming out with or at least testing for the new caliber.

So anyone heard anything yet?
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I not being of any help with this reply...
I haven't heard anything about it yet. But I'd imagine you've encounter some ejection problems with brass that large. Unless they increase the size of the ejection port...just a wild guess of mine.
In any case i want one! anyone got any ballistic reports of this caliber?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I had heard two months ago that they were waiting for Winchester to release the ammo to the public. Well, I was in Wally World picking up a USA big box of 9mm and what did I see on the self? .223wssm Winchester silver tips. Hopefully this means they are just around the corner from a release date. I am sure someone with recent contact with OLY will post an update when it is out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I read a few days ago that Winchester released thier proof loads for the caliber and Olympic Arms did thier stress test on thier uppers and everything went well. They should be shipping in the next 3 to 4 weeks. I can't wait I think I am gonna have to get one of these! Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw the rifle offered on the Oly sight. Hopefully they will sell and upper only that can work with a standard AR lower. Anyone know if they can be used with a standard Colt lower? If that is the case I'm in business and will be the first in line for one!
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:38:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Wal~Mart has been stocking .223 WSSM for over a month now (no word on the .243 WSSM yet).
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I hate to be the lone voice of dissenting opinion here, but what the heck would you need an AR in 223WSSM anyway ?

As I understand it, the trend toward shorter/fatter cartridges with new powders allows higher bullet velocities at lower pressures, and thus flatter ballistics. I eally wanted a 300WSM for a new hunting rifle, but decided on a 7mm Rem Mag in the end due to lower cost of the rifle, and wider availability of ammo. The ballistics work out to give flatter trajectory, but only after 250+ yards. That's a shot I'm not likely to take anyway, and the less than 1" difference up to that distance is certainly nothing to get excited about.

In 223, what would you do with this rifle ? A short-barreled AR (in comparison to 24" rifle barrels) would probably not allow for the full potential of the 223WSSM anyway. If you're hardcore into varminting, then I don't know if an AR is your first choice anyway.

I think the best applications for the short magnums is still in replacing the current long-action hunting rifles with flatter shooting short action rifles of lower weight. A 223WSM is awfully esoteric in my opinion and carries a lot of minuses for the minimal pluses it provides.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Olympic will be selling just the uppers that use the standard AR lower.  The difference in engineering has to do with the upper receiver, bolt and barrel extension.  Any Milspec lower should be compatible.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Saw a WSSM Olympic upper at Camp Perry Friday, impressive looking!! Heavier locking lugs on bolt/bbl extension, no other obvious differences.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top