Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/15/2017 11:34:49 PM EDT
I was originally getting a couple of the new vortex gen ll PST's, but may be changing my mind.

Budget is $1,800 which was going toward 2 new gen ll's, but I may just want to blow it on one high quality optic.

I can get a Leupold Mark 6 1-6x20 for $1,800 or the new Trijicon 1-8x28 or a Burris XTR 1-8X24 for quite a bit less.

1-6 vs 1-8x is not a big deciding factor, but so far what may bother me about the new Trijicon 1-8x28 is a member here mentioned the reticle is a little thick at 8x.

What I really dig about the Leupold is the 17oz and it still being rugged.

Weight is not a deal breaker for me, but glass quality is one of the biggest factors, and I'm wondering how they compare.

I'm thinking the Burris is going to take last place out of the 3 I mentioned here glass wise? or not?

I don't want the reticle to be to thick at max power, maybe at least 1 - 0.5 moa or 0.3 mils or smaller etc.

Please don't start any pissing contest with each other in this thread. I just want some suggestions and ideas. We all have our preferences. In the end I realize it will be what I think will work best for me, but it helps you to hear what works for other like minded shooters.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:14:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Pretty difficult to make a comparison of a bunch of scopes that are just coming out. I was able to look though the Burris 1-8 a few days ago. The over all feel of the scope was what you would expect from a nicer model Burris. The turrets, illumination, and magnification ring  controls felt ok but unpolished. The illumination was very bright. I didn't care for the circle dot reticle. 1-8x is a large magnification range and it's difficult for manufacturers to execute the design without issue. At 1x the Burris was very close to true 1x and would funtion as a red dot well. The glass at 1x was really pretty good the color looked pleasing to the eye and resolution was very clear. When I cranked the scope up to 8x it was like I was looking though a different scope the resolution dropped off and the color that was there on 1x wasn't. The Burris seamed to stuggle a bit more at 8x with light transmission when I looked into darker areas of shade and such, when I looked into areas with more light the scope didn't do too bad at 8x. All in all the from what I've seen which was limited in my time with it however I think the Burris does offer a lot for the money.

Being so new I've yet to get my hands on the Trij or G2 PST. It is also expected that MK6 would out perform all of the above which the price reflects, but Vortex often gives us a lot of scope for the money so I say that knowing the PST could be a wild card there. If you don't need turrets, you're ok with the weight and glass quality is high on your list you may want to keep the Razor gen 2 in mind as well Vortex put some great glass in that one. However I would definitely wait and see what the PST G2 is all about.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:55:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you planning on buying used or new?

Used gets you a hell of a deal. I've seen Kahles and Swarovski's well within your price range. The vortex razor, steiner's and the MK6 are all within your price range.

It's going to come down to what your needs for the gun are. Do you want an FFP optic? If so, the MK6 is damned hard to argue with. For a SFP scope, I really enjoy my Swaro Z6i.

I feel your first world pain though, I'm going through it myself. Looking for another 1-x LPVO for my mini recce.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you planning on buying used or new?

Used gets you a hell of a deal. I've seen Kahles and Swarovski's well within your price range. The vortex razor, steiner's and the MK6 are all within your price range.

It's going to come down to what your needs for the gun are. Do you want an FFP optic? If so, the MK6 is damned hard to argue with. For a SFP scope, I really enjoy my Swaro Z6i.

I feel your first world pain though, I'm going through it myself. Looking for another 1-x LPVO for my mini recce.
View Quote

Thanks, I forgot about those other two and have been surfing the EE  every now and then as I am in no hurry. I definitely would like an FFP.

I am also looking at some 2-10x variables because I would like something as kind of a do it all optics where I could leave it right on the rifle for when I'm working up loads instead of having to switch optics all the time.

Thanks for the ideas, appreciate it much!
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pretty difficult to make a comparison of a bunch of scopes that are just coming out. I was able to look though the Burris 1-8 a few days ago. The over all feel of the scope was what you would expect from a nicer model Burris. The turrets, illumination, and magnification ring  controls felt ok but unpolished. The illumination was very bright. I didn't care for the circle dot reticle. 1-8x is a large magnification range and it's difficult for manufacturers to execute the design without issue. At 1x the Burris was very close to true 1x and would funtion as a red dot well. The glass at 1x was really pretty good the color looked pleasing to the eye and resolution was very clear. When I cranked the scope up to 8x it was like I was looking though a different scope the resolution dropped off and the color that was there on 1x wasn't. The Burris seamed to stuggle a bit more at 8x with light transmission when I looked into darker areas of shade and such, when I looked into areas with more light the scope didn't do too bad at 8x. All in all the from what I've seen which was limited in my time with it however I think the Burris does offer a lot for the money.

Being so new I've yet to get my hands on the Trij or G2 PST. It is also expected that MK6 would out perform all of the above which the price reflects, but Vortex often gives us a lot of scope for the money so I say that knowing the PST could be a wild card there. If you don't need turrets, you're ok with the weight and glass quality is high on your list you may want to keep the Razor gen 2 in mind as well Vortex put some great glass in that one. However I would definitely wait and see what the PST G2 is all about.
View Quote

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I did own a razor gen ll 1-6x but was thinking if I'm going to get something that heavy I might as well make it more magnification and go up to 8X.

There is a good review on the new Trijicon here and everything is pretty positive except what kind of bothered me was the reviewer said the radical at 8x was a little thick which might be a detriment for me when working up my reloads. I'm trying to find out how much the raticle covers at 100 yards. I'm getting on the Trijicon website to see if they have any of the substentions.

The Leupold has been out for quite a while and the Burris has been out for at least six months  but your review on the Burris mirrors some others that I've read which is making me a little hesitant on that choice.

I did own one of those for about five minutes and sold it but it was the SFP and not the circle dot FFP. I was hoping that might be a little different but it doesn't seem so from your personal review.

Of course I may end up just  waiting it out and seeing what the PST gen ll's are all about.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I did own a razor gen ll 1-6x but was thinking if I'm going to get something that heavy I might as well make it more magnification and go up to 8X.

There is a good review on the new Trijicon here and everything is pretty positive except what kind of bothered me was the reviewer said the radical at 8x was a little thick which might be a detriment for me when working up my reloads. I'm trying to find out how much the raticle covers at 100 yards. I'm getting on the Trijicon website to see if they have any of the substentions.

The Leupold has been out for quite a while and the Burris has been out for at least six months  but your review on the Burris mirrors some others that I've read which is making me a little hesitant on that choice.

I did own one of those for about five minutes and sold it but it was the SFP and not the circle dot FFP. I was hoping that might be a little different but it doesn't seem so from your personal review.

Of course I may end up just  waiting it out and seeing what the PST gen ll's are all about.
View Quote

No problem.

I see that Trij's does have the reticle substensions here's a link for ya, download the PDF but you've prob already found it Link.

Looks like the center + of the reticle is .75 MOA on the MOA reticle and 0.69 MOA on the MIL based. That is a thicker reticle than I perfer for benchrest accuracy shooting such as load work up.  Especially with low magnification (for bench shooting) like an 8x a finer reticle helps me personally tremendously. But that may not be a problem for you. On scopes with a thicker center of the reticle I often hold somewhere else. The lines off to the side on the are much better for the bench. If I'm doing my MIL-MOA conversations and reading Trij's reticle substensions correctly the outside lines on the MOA reticle are 0.25 MOA and on the MIL reticle are 0.171 MOA both of which are much better. I have the 3-9 Accupower and it's reticle lines are 0.125 MOA, it has a very fine reticle and 0.125 is very helpful from the bench. 0.25 wouldn't be as nice as 0.171. For bench work the thinner the better but 0.25 would be very doable I wouldn't let the difference between the MIL and MOA reticle influence my reticle choice much if at all. However from 0.171 to 0.25 is more of a variance than I would expect between the two you may want to shoot Trij an email to confirm, according the substensions it seems to be right though. If they are I wouldn't worry about the reticle thickness of the Trij.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No problem.

I see that Trij's does have the reticle substensions here's a link for ya, download the PDF but you've prob already found it Link.

Looks like the center + of the reticle is .75 MOA on the MOA reticle and 0.69 MOA on the MIL based. That is a thicker reticle than I perfer for benchrest accuracy shooting such as load work up.  Especially with low magnification (for bench shooting) like an 8x a finer reticle helps me personally tremendously. But that may not be a problem for you. On scopes with a thicker center of the reticle I often hold somewhere else. The lines off to the side on the are much better for the bench. If I'm doing my MIL-MOA conversations and reading Trij's reticle substensions correctly the outside lines on the MOA reticle are 0.25 MOA and on the MIL reticle are 0.171 MOA both of which are much better. I have the 3-9 Accupower and it's reticle lines are 0.125 MOA, it has a very fine reticle and 0.125 is very helpful from the bench. 0.25 wouldn't be as nice as 0.171. For bench work the thinner the better but 0.25 would be very doable I wouldn't let the difference between the MIL and MOA reticle influence my reticle choice much if at all. However from 0.171 to 0.25 is more of a variance than I would expect between the two you may want to shoot Trij an email to confirm, according the substensions it seems to be right though. If they are I wouldn't worry about the reticle thickness of the Trij.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem.

Thanks again.
I'm considering ordering both and keeping the one I may like better.  Having second thoughts on blowing my entire load on the Leupy but we'll see.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top