Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 12:41:56 PM EDT
I am getting low on my Fed 69 grain ammo (less than 500 rds).  I have been looking at ammo prices, and had an idea (after almost passing out).

How stupid would it be to just use a good 55 grain ball round at the 200 for highpower / CMP matches?  Does anyone out there do this?

I've always used Fed 69 grain at 2 and 3, and the 80's at 6, but I am really not that great offhand.  Am I wasting my money for the up-close stuff?  I mean, the 10 ring is 4 MOA, and I have never shot a 55 grain load that didn't hover around 1-1.5 MOA in all of my AR's, and wind is more of a factor on me that my bullet (pushes me and my barrel around).

What does everyone think?  Am I missing something?  Would I be made fun of by the other guys?  I'm starting to think 55 at 200, 69 at 3, and 80 at 6.  

Another advantage I see is more practice for less $$.  Am I just being a cheapskate?

All opinions welcome.  And be blunt - if you think I'm a moron, let me know.  I don't have the gas money to drive to your house and kick your ass.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Obviously, this is a wildly popular idea.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I know guys that use the H 52 MHP for offhand.  I, personally,  wouldn't use a 55 FMJ.

No one is going to inspect your ammo or heckle you.  Do what keeps you shooting.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:06:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I use M193/M855 for practice " mainly because it is free " but not in matches. In practice sessions I'm more concerned with working on fundamentals than group size-accuracy.

If I had to buy ammo I would just use BH 68's purchased thru CMP Club Ammo sales for $ 230 per K and have ammo both suitable for practice and matches at not much more $ than a case of XM193 BALL.

If you are a MK or SS you might not be good enough to notice a significant score diff offhand/sitting rapid M193 vs. match ammo.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top