Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 10:39:31 PM EDT
I bought this Guarder Aimpoint mount on eBay for $17.89 plus shipping.  I got it and installed it on my M4gery.   It doesn't shoot off and retains zero pretty fair.  I think it is a pretty good find.  What do the rest of you guys think?

cgi.ebay.com/GUARDER-Quick-Release-AIMPOINT-Ring-Mount-30-25mm-NB01_W0QQitemZ7205194310QQcategoryZ52512QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
i think it looks like the burris xtreme high mount or whatever...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Just don't expect it to take any kind of hard use/abuse.

Made in Hong Kong = Pot Metal
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:16:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it's made in Hong Kong by an AirSoft company, BUT if it makes YOU happy, then maybe I'm the dumb one

Before I knew better, I once bought a $20 airsoft KAC rip-off VFG.  It worked, and I still have it, but I don't actually put it on a real weapon  It also won't stay tight and the threads are a glued in SLEEVE that, when you tighten it, starts to slip towards the opening...  But I got to play Special Forces Guy in my bedroom when no one was looking, so that's all that matters, right?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:25:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
It seems pretty sturdy and is basically a KAC knockoff almost.  I am not sure of the metal on it.  It has regular hex bolts that tighten right up.  But we don't know how it will stand up to abuse.  So for now, I am putting back on my Aimpoint mount.  It's actually lighter than this.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:06:29 AM EDT
[#6]
They are high quality rings-- not larue PRI or KAC quality but a strong ring that you won't have problems with.  

I had a couple of them but couldn't sell them for free so I gave two of mine away with an Aimpoint copy I recently traded.  

I'ld rather have one of them than an Aimpoint rail grabber.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:26:53 AM EDT
[#7]
"They are high quality,super cool and qualified".
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:38:04 AM EDT
[#8]
From GreenO

They are high quality rings-- not larue PRI or KAC quality but a strong ring that you won't have problems with.

I had a couple of them but couldn't sell them for free so I gave two of mine away with an Aimpoint copy I recently traded.

I'ld rather have one of them than an Aimpoint rail grabber.

So your endorsing a Pot metal $18 Made in Hong Kong Airsoft Knock off that you could not give away ...is that about right????
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Need to add poll:
Dumb
What
Not sure
Yes
No
WGAS

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#10]
How is that mount quick release?

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#11]
As long as your life doesn't depend on it, I say more power to you.  I'll take the real deal just in case the zombies start knocking down the door.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#12]

AH! the zombie hoards
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Well it says they are made of 6061 Aluminum. Not the strongest alloy to be sure.

6061 - This is the least expensive and most versatile of the heat-treatable aluminum alloys. It has most of the good qualities of aluminum. It offers a range of good mechanical properties and good corrosion resistance. It can be fabricated by most of the commonly used techniques.

source

I generally stick with "High quality" mounts made of 7075 with a proper temper, such as T4 or better.
I noticed they did not list the temper value for the "Guarder". Not tempered at all? That could mean very soft metal.

7075 -  This is one of the highest strength aluminum alloys available Its strength-to weight ratio is excellent and it is ideally used for highly stressed parts. It may be formed in the annealed condition and subsequently heat treated. ... Applications: Used where highest strength is needed.

source

Definitely a pass for me.

ALUMINUM TEMPER DESIGNATIONS

Temper designations of wrought aluminum alloys consist of suff ixes to the numeric alloy designations. For example, in 3003-Hl4, 3003 denotes the alloy and "Hl 4" denotes the temper, or degree of hardness. The temper designation also reveals the method by which the hardness was obtained. Temper designations differ between non heat-treatable alloys and heat-treatable alloys. and their meanings are given below:

Non Heat-Treatable Alloys
The letter "H" is always followed by 2 or 3 digits. The first digit indicates the particular method used to obtain the temper. as follows:
- H1 means strain hardened only.
- H2 means strain hardened, then partially annealed.
- H3 means strain hardened, then stabilized.
The temper is indicated by the second digit as follows:

2        1/4 hard
4        1/2 hard
6        3/4 hard
8        full hard
9        extra hard
   Added digits indicate modification of standard practice.

Heat-Treatable Alloys
-F    As fabricated
-O   Annealed
-T    Heat treated

The letter "T' is always followed oy one or more digits. These digits indicate the meathod used to produce the stable tempers, as follows:
-T3        Solution heat treated, then cold worked.
-T351    Solution heat treated, stress-relieved stretched, then cold worked.
-T36      Solution heat treated, then cold worked (controlled).
-T4        Solution heat treated, then naturally aged.
-T451    Solution heat treated, then stress relieved stretched.
-T5        Artificially aged only,
-T6        Solution heat treated, then artificially aged.
-T61      Solution heat treated (boiling water quench), then artificially aged.
-T651    Solution heat treated, stress-relieved stretched, then artificially aged (precipitation heat treatment).
-T652    Solution heat treated, stress relieved by compression. then artificially aged.
-T7        Solution heat treated, then stabilized.
-T8        Solution heat treated, cold worked, then artificially aged.
-T81      Solution heat treated, cold worked (controlled), then artificially aged.
-T851    Solution heat treated, cold worked, stress-relieved stretched, then artificially aged.
-T9        Solution heat treated, artificially aged, then cold worked.
-TlO      Artificially aged, then cold worked.
Added digits indicate modification of standard practice.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top