Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2004 3:26:32 PM EDT
Just in case I can't find any Dry Lube Teflon paint to re-do my AR mags would other paint would be good to use?  I need something that'll be scratch resistant, durable and look good in a matte finish.  Would any of the flat, matte cammo paints that are used on firearms be any good, I think they're more to put on and take off easy, aren't they?   What about some kind of flat/matte engine paint or BBQ paint, would they work.  I'm trying to do this for 6 mags so I really don't want to spend a bunch of money but would like em' to look good. I'll probably be shopping at Lowe's for my supplies. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Guy I know just refinished some with Brownells Areosol Baking Laquer.

They look good.

But, it's like everything.  It gets worn, and has to be re-coated after a period of time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#3]
can try K-kote
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are looking for long term "good looking" mags, get themsand blasted and refinish them with something decent.  If you are looking to mark them, or have them look nice for short term, baking laquer will work, but it won't hold up long term.  Neither will most other sprays I've used.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#5]
If dry lube wears off and gets in your rifles, it crumbles, it is a dry lube, and does not hurt anything.  If paint scrapings get up into the rifle, it will not easily breatk up.

It is just a mag.

"Just in case I can't find any Dry Lube.."

And you can get dry moly lube at a great many industrial hardware stores.  It is a common item.  It is used for lubing, among other things, conveyor belts (the chain type) in food manufacturing (ovens), and other food processing equipment.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:36:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If dry lube wears off and gets in your rifles, it crumbles, it is a dry lube, and does not hurt anything.  If paint scrapings get up into the rifle, it will not easily breatk up.

It is just a mag.

"Just in case I can't find any Dry Lube.."

And you can get dry moly lube at a great many industrial hardware stores.  It is a common item.  It is used for lubing, among other things, conveyor belts (the chain type) in food manufacturing (ovens), and other food processing equipment.  

Do you think that Lowe's would have something like this. I was even thinking of trying to stain them with some kind of ink like is used in a Sharpie Permanent Marker.  I just want them to look decent being that they're going to be used in my new "no ban" rifle.  I'd hate to put a worn looking mag in a new guy.  I'm sure I can find something that'll work.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#8]
If your looking for cheap then you might consider Krylon paint.  

There are some good topics about refishing magazines on the magazine forum.  

I did some in Perma Slik and Krylon.  I think the Krylon is better looking but probably not better performing then the dry lube...but no expert on the subject.  Just from what I have done can I speak of.

I cleaned and steel wooled the mags.  Then dried for acouple days.  Then I sprayed a fine layer of Krylon Primer and let it dry.  Then I put a sprayed a light layer of Krylon Semi-black paint.  It looks good and is holding up well.

My .02 cents.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#9]
The dry moly type lubes are usually available through larger industrial bearing suppliers. Not particularly inexpensive, but it goes a long way.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:18:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I think I'm just going to clean em' up and use em' "as is" for now.  I'll wait for the ban to end then pick up some new mags for a good price. I can use these for "beaters" when I go to the range. That way I won't have to worry about scratching em' up because they already are.  Thanks for the info guys, talk to ya'll later.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:21:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Just stick to the Perma-Slik. Refinish once per the instructions on this sight (including the baking). And then keep some on hand to occasionally touch up with.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#12]
We had a product in USAF that we called "SFD" (solid film something with a 'd').

Wish I could find that stuff, goes on nice and quick, dries fast (and flat grey) and works as a dry lube.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
We had a product in USAF that we called "SFD" (solid film something with a 'd').

Wish I could find that stuff, goes on nice and quick, dries fast (and flat grey) and works as a dry lube.

I used that in the USAF as well.  I used Perma-Slick G to finish some mags recently and I think it's the same stuff as SFD, although the propellant is a bit different.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Were you a weapons loader?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Frank,
 I have always bought beater field mags, so most of them look brassy.
I painted most of them camo, using the Camo paint cans that I found at
Ace hardware. I used OD, brown, & black. I'm sure it will eventually wear
off, but for now, they look great. I painted the entire mag OD, and just added
the brown & black below the rec'r line to limit the paint thickness in the rec'r.
It was quick & easy, & no one mistakes my mags for theirs...

I even painted a 1942 Ford with that stuff. It looked great!

Keep it simple... it's just a mag!

Johnny C!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Slip Plate Aerosol

Creates a slick, non-stick surface ideal for build-up areas
Extremely durable, long-lasting lubricant
Protective dry-film coating reduces wear
Convenient aerosol packaging eliminates cleanup
Dries tack free in 15 minutes

www.slipplate.com/html/slip_plate_aerosol.html

I think it was about 8 bucks a can.   I will try to find a good pick of a mag I refinished.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Before and after.  The finish has lasted for at least a year now without any problems.

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Now that looks good! I'll keep this product in mind.

I did my mags in AH II and they turned out great. My mags look just like his and they are holding up very well. All I did was degrease  and rubbed alittle steel wool over the mag while it was still we, sprayed them and when dry threw them in the oven at 300 for about an hour. I did this over and over until the can was empty.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Slip Plate Aerosol

Creates a slick, non-stick surface ideal for build-up areas
Extremely durable, long-lasting lubricant
Protective dry-film coating reduces wear
Convenient aerosol packaging eliminates cleanup
Dries tack free in 15 minutes

www.slipplate.com/html/slip_plate_aerosol.html

I think it was about 8 bucks a can.   I will try to find a good pick of a mag I refinished.

I may see if they've got that stuff at Lowe's. Heck, for $8 bucks a can you can't beat that deal.  The 3 Mags that I cleaned up last night look "ok" and I can use them for beater mags, the other 3 are really worn, 2 down to the brass looking anodizing so maybe I'll expirment on them with some of that Slip Plate spray.  Heck, it couldn't hurt.  Thanks for the tip.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I got mine at grainger.  Here is the link

The cost is 6.75 a can.  Each can refinished about 15 mags.  

Grainger
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Lowe's didn't have anything, they suggested a car parts store. I'm going to look around more on Saturday.  Like I said, if worse comes to worse I'll just use these for beaters and buy new after Sept. 14th.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Acrotech Industries
8411 Pyott Rd.
Lake in the Hills, IL. 60156

Tel:  (815) 788-8891

I had to call and find out who their local deal was.  If I found the stuff in Hawaii, you should have no problem.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#23]

I had to call and find out who their local deal was.  If I found the stuff in Hawaii, you should have no problem.  

I thought you guys in HI couldn't have Hi-caps?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I thought you guys in HI couldn't have Hi-caps?

I would reffer you to -

Chapter 134 of the Hawaii Revised Statutes

What I can tell you is nothing in the above pic is illegal in the state of Hawaii

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top