User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2009 4:57:11 PM EDT
...wish me luck!
Before:

After:

All in all, didn't run into any real issues...although I did put the gas tube thru the wrong hole on the larue spacer AFTER I had installed the roll pin...also, discovered that the PRI wrench won't fit over the gas block.  So you could say I did some backtracking during the build, but even with that everything took me about an hour.  Also much props to Nullogic for equipping me with the spare peel washers to finish the FSC556 install, thanks again.

SPECS, BTW:

Larue 12.0
BCM SS410 16" Recce barrel
LT LP GB
Std. BCM CH
BCM FA BCG
CMT upper
FSC 556

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck!

Ought to be a nice rig.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks....once this is done maybe I can get something accomplished for the lower.  Right now all I have is a RRA LPK and Tactical Innovations forged lower.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 4:27:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Well dang....

Went to install the FSC 556 and noticed that it overclocks from TDC by about 20 degrees using the peel washer that came with it....guess I'm gonna need a second thin peel washer to get it to time correctly?...

Anyone else ever encountered this problem?
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I like crush washers, way easier for me. BTW Like the forearm
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well dang....

Went to install the FSC 556 and noticed that it overclocks from TDC by about 20 degrees using the peel washer that came with it....guess I'm gonna need a second thin peel washer to get it to time correctly?...

Start peeling off layers, there are a lot of em...
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well dang....

Well...I was thinking that since each layer is about 10 degrees and I'm about 340 degrees away from TDC, I'd have to take off about 31 layers to get hand tight, then wrench tigth would put me at TDC...how many layers you reckon there are?
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well dang....

Well...I was thinking that since each layer is about 10 degrees and I'm about 340 degrees away from TDC, I'd have to take off about 31 layers to get hand tight, then wrench tigth would put me at TDC...how many layers you reckon there are?

A whole lot of them. I'm not sure of a number though, sorry.

How's it look with no washer?
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well dang....

With no washer its about 80 degrees short of TDC fully seated...If I back it out to TDC (less than a full turn), I can get the whole peel washer between the brake and the barrel shoulder....I think it needs to be just a tad thicker...
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well dang....

With no washer its about 80 degrees short of TDC fully seated...If I back it out to TDC (less than a full turn), I can get the whole peel washer between the brake and the barrel shoulder....I think it needs to be just a tad thicker...

From your description, that sounds right. But I would wait and see if someone more knowledgeable chimes in.

For this reason I bought an extra...
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well dang....

From your description, that sounds right. But I would wait and see if someone more knowledgeable chimes in.

For this reason I bought an extra...

I was looking at the PWS website and they sell a set of shims intended to supplement/replace the washer that comes with the compensator....looks like that may be what I need....hopefully they have some in stock, otherwise this build is stalled.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#12]
That barrel should be a monster, mine is.

Why not use a crush washer?
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 3:11:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I will have to check later, but I have maybe half of a peel washer from the install of my fsc556.

If you want it (after I make sure I have it) I'll send it your way...
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 3:37:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I will have to check later, but I have maybe half of a peel washer from the install of my fsc556.

If you want it (after I make sure I have it) I'll send it your way...

That would me awesome, if you didn't mind....I'll keep my ears open....
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 3:40:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That barrel should be a monster, mine is.

Why not use a crush washer?

Well, I am contemplating a Gemtech for this thing at some point and everything I've read says you need to use a peel washer for optimum install....
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#16]
BTT for update on finished upper....thanks again to Nullogic for hooking me up with the spare peel washers...2 more did the trick.

Next, gotta build the lower and decide on an optic and furniture options.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
BTT for update on finished upper....thanks again to Nullogic for hooking me up with the spare peel washers...2 more did the trick.

Next, gotta build the lower and decide on an optic and furniture options.....

No problem

Looks awesome!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Very Nice Looking Upper You Got There!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I want one just like that,  let us know how it shoots.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I want one just like that,  let us know how it shoots.

Will do....it will probably be awhile before I get it out and run it....need to decide what i want to do optics-wise, thinking something of a 2X10 or 3X9 variable flavor.

All of my other AR's are black thru and thru...thinking I may go FDE/tan or foliage green with the furniture on this one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Super nice.  Looking at the same rail for my project.  I'm now pretty torn since I'd prefer the sweet button and hand-finished rifling of your barrel over a the hammer forged barrel found here, but do want a 1:7 twist and phosphate or other dark finish.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Super nice.  Looking at the same rail for my project.  I'm now pretty torn since I'd prefer the sweet button and hand-finished rifling of your barrel over a the hammer forged barrel found here, but do want a 1:7 twist and phosphate or other dark finish.

I was kind of torn over the same things you are...ultimately I leaned towards the hand finished rifling...I've really grown fond of the stainless finish, although I did ponder having ADCO bead blast it for me...

You could get the stainless and have it Ion Bonded by a company whose name now escapes me at the moment....then you'd have the best of both worlds.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top