Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2006 11:17:34 PM EDT
I am lookin to buy a scope and i cant decide.  What are the ups and downs of both?  I heard that price aside, the aimpoint is much better and that most SWAT hate the ACOG.  I always believe that you get what you pay for so im stumped.  Price aside, what do you guys think
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:56:18 AM EDT
[#1]

If cqb is your primary situation then the Aimpint is much better.  If you have to take longer shots with the occasional cqb then the ACOG is better or the AImpoint with magnifier.  As a general do-it-all optic, the ACOG is better IMHO.

My guess is SWAT guys like the Aimpont because most of their engagements are extremely close-in and short ranges.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:31:42 AM EDT
[#2]
While it is possible to use the both eyes open Bidon (sp?) Aiming Concept with the ACOG, I have found it much harder to use, even with practice than the red dot sights.  The way it works is you use both eyes open, and focus on the target with your non dominant eye (eye that isnt looking through the scope).  The red chevron (or triangle or donut) will superimpose on your left eye's image.  This gives a red dot scope effect.  The problem is, you will naturally look through your dominant eye first, and there you are greeted with a zoomed in blurry image.  Practice can overcome it I'm sure, but I'd stick with the red dot for CQB.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my TA31F, just not for cqb.

As for "most SWAT hate the ACOG"...having worked with members of a SWAT team for the past six months (I am not an officer by the way) I can tell you that they don't "hate" it.  As a matter of fact many love it.  It all just depends on WHAT you need an optic for.  The ACOG is NOT the best scope for close up, and should not be considered so.  If you need an accurate, fast shot at 100+ yds, it does great.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#4]
SWAT hates ACOG (allegedly) because SWAT goes door to door.  Aimpoint is the perfect application for that.

If you're going to the range and shooting at 100 yd. targets I'll take my ACOG.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#5]
up close the EOTECH is very "heads up" and "open"  BUT try both--it is Personal
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
SWAT hates ACOG (allegedly) because SWAT goes door to door.  Aimpoint is the perfect application for that.

Yea, from your statement and some extensive research, that seems to be the ideal explanation.
Aimpoint & Ecotech = Best for close combat (100 yards and less)
Trijicon ACOG = Best for long range and average for close combat.

Any recommendations on which ACOG is best all around?  Trijicon told me that the ACOG TA31F is the best all around.  Based on a new post on this site, it seems like a triangle optic would be best all around.  If possible, I would like an ACOG what would be able to have enough eye relief for me to be able to use my ARMS #40L flip up rear site for a backup.  I appreciate the time all of you put into helping me out.  I'm new to all this and I am in the process of building my first AR.  I got the RRA Pro-Series Elite with a colt preban lower.  I don't know much but learning something new everyday.  What scope do you guys recommend giving my situation?  I am basically trying to build the ultimate setup the first time around and have no regrets nor wasted money.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Checkout Trijicon's Accupoint TR21 it is a varialble power 1-4x. They use ambient light to power the reticle just like the ACOG. It also has more eye relief and a lower price tag compared to the ACOG, and can, in theory be used like a reflex sight at 1x then just turn up the power for those long distance shots. The 1x IIRC isn't true 1x though. Something to consider.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
SWAT hates ACOG (allegedly) because SWAT goes door to door......

"Door to door" till they find the correct house!

Sorry.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, from your statement and some extensive research, that seems to be the ideal explanation.
Aimpoint & Ecotech = Best for close combat (100 yards and less)
Trijicon ACOG = Best for long range and average for close combat.

Any recommendations on which ACOG is best all around?  Trijicon told me that the ACOG TA31F is the best all around.  Based on a new post on this site, it seems like a triangle optic would be best all around.  If possible, I would like an ACOG what would be able to have enough eye relief for me to be able to use my ARMS #40L flip up rear site for a backup.  I appreciate the time all of you put into helping me out.  I'm new to all this and I am in the process of building my first AR.  I got the RRA Pro-Series Elite with a colt preban lower.  I don't know much but learning something new everyday.  What scope do you guys recommend giving my situation?  I am basically trying to build the ultimate setup the first time around and have no regrets nor wasted money.

I know you want to do it right the 1st time, it's a lot of money, I had the same reservations when I was deciding on my ACOG.  They are definitly worth it though. The glass on them is outstanding.

Which ACOG to get, which is really asking which reticle, is a tough question.  It would be hard to argue against the standard TA01 crosshair being the most precise.  Plus almost everyone is already familiar with the crosshair.

I thought the TA31 F with the Chevron reticle would be too weird to get used to.  It isn't.  My buddy has one and it is precise enough but it's also much quicker in day light since it has fiber optic.

I went with the TA01NSN because I was too scared to try something different.  I would suggest the TA31F. It's quicker but also precise enough for minute of center mass.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#10]
two different optics for two different uses.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:52:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
two different optics for two different uses.

Seems to me the ACOG TA31DOC is the best of both worlds????
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Before dropping $800-900 on an optic, consider spending $25 to be able to search the archives of this site where all of the questions you are asking are discussed in tremendous, minutiae type of detail.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd personally choose the Akewpointe (Sp?) if you can't decide between the Aimpoint and ACOG.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:41:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SWAT hates ACOG (allegedly) because SWAT goes door to door......

"Door to door" till they find the correct house!

Sorry.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:14:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I ended up buying an aimpoint ml3-xd because of the price.  I figured at the time I would just use it for the time being and when I decide on something better, I will just sell it and take a small loss on it.  Basicly wanted it  just to get me going.  I got second thoughts about a half hour after I bought it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:03:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I ended up selling my ACOG.  It was a nice optic but I was faster with the Aimpoint, and accurate enough at medium ranges.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Do you think the aimpoint ml3-xd was a good choice?  I wonder why aimpoint discontinued the xd.  I dont even know what the difference is between the ml3-xd and the new ml3.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top