Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2003 10:58:34 AM EDT
People have said that ‘where the dot is- that’s where the bullet will go’. But I’ve found that not to be entirely the truth. If I set my rifle down, and I look through the Aimpoint, I see the dot, and it moves slightly as I move my head while focusing on the dot and whatever is beyond it. That might not make a difference to someone aiming at something 25 yards away, but it seems like it could be at least 6” or so at 200 meters. So if someone does not have the exact cheek-weld that they used when zeroing the Aimpoint, the bullet will not go exactly where the dot is. Is this right, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:10:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Aimpoints are paralax free.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#3]
What they are saying is if you set the scope on the table and point the dot at a target as you move your eye in a circle around the back of the the scope the dot looks like it's moving in relation to the inside tube of the scope.  but it should stay on target.  if your dot is moving off target you have a broken scope and need to send it in for repair.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Right, just like EoTechs.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Right, just like EoTechs.
View Quote

Nnnnnnt...wrong answer [:P]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Paralax- that was the word I was looking for...

Yeah, I guess my dot is staying on the target. Maybe I was just overly tired, but earlier, it looked like it was shifting ever so slightly.

[noclue]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#7]

No, I'm right! Someone try putting their Aimpoint down, and put the dot on something 4 or five feet away. Then with your eye about a foot more away from the optic, move your head around.

I don't know about you, but my dot is not staying on the something! [:O]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#8]
[b]Quoted:
earlier, it looked like it was shifting ever so slightly.[/b]

How far away was the target that you were sighting at?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:14:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Aimpoints are not paralax free.

Not under 25 meters that is, per the Army TM.

They are zero'd at this distance and it is clearly stated that a good check weld is mandatory during the zeroing phase. After that and at regular comabt distances they are truely paralax free
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 2:16:54 AM EDT
[#10]
If you have that problem at 30 yards or more, call Aimpoint, explain the situation, they will ask you to send it back and replace the unit.
I bought 2 of them about a year ago and one had that problem, Aimpoint replaced the defective one.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:32:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Good reading on the subject of dot sights and the issue.

[url]http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Dreyer_infonet/dotsight.htm[/url]

Full-Auto

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:33:19 AM EDT
[#12]
If you believe that you have an Aimpoint sight with parallax error, try placing the front end of the sight flat against a window so that the dot is against something at normal target distances (not the doorknob 10 feet away) .  Now move your head behind the sight.  If the dot moves against the target, there is some error, and you will experience some shot displacement at that range.  If this is the case, you should call Aimpoint customer service at 877-AIMPOINT.

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Much thanks for the info, guys.

I am good to go at combat distances. [:)]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top