Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 7:50:34 PM EDT
I was considering an affordable weaponlight idea for my Colt 6400MT and would like some input.

The Colt 6400MT is an M4gery with M4 handguard. I was thinking of mounting a light underneath the handguard using the following combination:

• GG&G Underforegrip Integrated Rail - The GG&G UFIR can easily be installed onto the underside of an AR15/M16 foregrip, standard or M4, using simple hand tools and a small amount of 262 Loctite. The three point mounting system insures a solid, rugged mounting platform. Installation does not require permanent alteration to the foregrip. Detailed instructions and all of the parts required are supplied in the kit. The UFIR is manufactured from 6061 T6 aluminum, is hard coat anodized flat black per mil spec and is machined to                MIL-STD-1913 specifications.
    http://home.insightbb.com/~karlknapp2/UFIR_AR_Btm.jpg

• Surefire 6P - The 6P produces 65 lumens of light for 60 minutes (as bright as a much larger four D-cell flashlight), or 125 lumens for 20 minutes with the optional ultra high output lamp. The 6P also features unique switching originally developed for law enforcement- twist for constant on, or depress the tailcap button for momentary illumination or emergency signaling.
    http://home.insightbb.com/~karlknapp2/6pblack_full.jpg

• 1" Scope Rings - Used to mount the 1" flashlight to the rail

The whole package would cost about $100. Seems like a fairly affordable solution. What do you think? Will this work? Anyone else using a Surefire 6P on their AR? If so, how did you mount it?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:00:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was considering an affordable weaponlight idea for my Colt 6400MT and would like some input.

The Colt 6400MT is an M4gery with M4 handguard. I was thinking of mounting a light underneath the handguard using the following combination:

[list][*][b]GG&G Underforegrip Integrated Rail[/b] - The GG&G UFIR can easily be installed onto the underside of an AR15/M16 foregrip, standard or M4, using simple hand tools and a small amount of 262 Loctite. The three point mounting system insures a solid, rugged mounting platform. Installation does not require permanent alteration to the foregrip. Detailed instructions and all of the parts required are supplied in the kit. The UFIR is manufactured from 6061 T6 aluminum, is hard coat anodized flat black per mil spec and is machined to                MIL-STD-1913 specifications.
[url]http://home.insightbb.com/~karlknapp2/UFIR_AR_Btm.jpg[/url][/*]
[*][b]Surefire 6P[/b] - The 6P produces 65 lumens of light for 60 minutes (as bright as a much larger four D-cell flashlight), or 125 lumens for 20 minutes with the optional ultra high output lamp. The 6P also features unique switching originally developed for law enforcement- twist for constant on, or depress the tailcap button for momentary illumination or emergency signaling.
[url]http://home.insightbb.com/~karlknapp2/6pblack_full.jpg[/url][/*]
[*][b]1" Scope Rings[/b] - Used to mount the 1" flashlight to the rail[/*][/list]

The whole package would cost about $100. Seems like a fairly affordable solution. What do you think? Will this work? Anyone else using a Surefire 6P on their AR? If so, how did you mount it?
View Quote

Karl, your choice for mounting the light is fine but the light you are thinking about mounting (the Surefire 6P) is not a weapon light.

Will the 6P "work"? Yes, of course. Will it stand up to the recoil? No. Lights that are specifically designed for weapons are designed to withstand the recoil. If you mount a 6P on a weapon, it WILL eventually fail. The batteries will bounce back and forth with each shot and eventually kill the light.

There are other board members who have tried this and come to these conclusions. If you just want to mess around with a weapon light, go for it knowing that eventually you will have to replace some parts on the 6P. In other words, if you don't have to stake your life on your light, you'll be fine but in the end you'll end up spend more than $100 if you want a weapon light again.

I'd suggest either watching the EE for someone selling a used Surefire weapon light or saving your $$$ for a real weapon light. Just my .02.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:09:01 AM EDT
[#2]
you can shoot holding the light in your support hand.  either grab the forearm with your thumb and wrap your fingers around the light and forearm or grasp the light in your hand bulb down (toward the little finger) and rest the forearm of the rifle on your wrist.  lots of options.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#3]
i have that set up on my patrol carbine at work.  I use a GG&G Down and Dirty ring to mount the 6P and have a small acces. rail to mount a forward pistol grip.  I've had about 300 rounds throught it with no light failure.

ALSO, the light is only on there for the meantime as a temporary solution.  I'm trying to get a SureFire m-900.  My departemnt will issue AR15s (fear of school shootings and all), but won't spring for weapon lights...despite range officers' input, patrol officers requests, and union request.  i guesss it is a $$ thing.

Regardless, I have the 6p on the gun but expect it to fail...just like everything else on the gun, Eotech, sling, etc.  Murphy always rides with Police.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Murphy always rides with Police
View Quote

yea but he is usually in the back seat.. [:D]

mike
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#5]
[url=http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/makeaflashlightmount.msnw][b]How to Make a Flashlight Mount[/b][/url]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetPubPhoto&PhotoID=nJwAAAH4Lh7QmhDHefYjgQD8LIYywLXorPxA6tAqT3TVSEbwSs3naAy9CwMFydzKzblA96eTnt3M[/img]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/isapi/fetch.dll?action=MyPhotos_GetPubPhoto&PhotoID=nJwAAANcL8b*DJhDxWECGEtSI*VudqI7nlYIMEH5ocl3UKKCDm0HI1FL6FtIBjn5AcyQU6GvqF7w[/img]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#6]
[url]www.wholesalehunter.com/privatespecials/bargdes/stre69045_m3_w.htm[/url]

Streamlight 69045 M3 w/Batteries/Holder/Lamp
Tactical Light
[b]Bargain Basement Price $97.00[/b]
Retail $266.85 You Save 64%

Lightweight polymer body tactical light. Momentary or constant “on". For Glock with rails. With appropriate adapters/mounts fits Beretta 92/96, Remington, Benelli and Mossberg shotguns, and M-16/AR-15 rifles. Uses (2) 3-volt lithium batteries (included).

- Battery: Two 3-volt lithium
- Lamp: Halogen
- Material: Chemical-resistant polymer. Tempered glass lens for easy cleaning.
- Color: Black
- Weight: (with battery) 3.3 oz.
- Dimensions: 3.4" (L) x 1.57" (W) x 1.52" (H)
- Run Time: 60 minutes
- Power: 80-90 lumens
- Special Features: Momentary or constant on switch
- Gun Type: (with rails) For Glock. Fits Beretta 92/96; Remington and Mossberg shotguns; shotguns with extended magazines; M-16/AR-15 and MP-5 style rifles and carbines with special adaptors/mounts.

Kydex Sheath Included.

[url]www.wholesalehunter.com/privatespecials/deals.htm[/url]

888-900-HUNT (4868)
8:00AM-5:00PM Central
[url][email protected][/url]

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:07:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Get the AAC rail, it is just as good quality as the GG&G, cheaper, and extends the full length of the handgaurd. $25 for rail or $45 with a QD foregrip included. Get the foregrip, the rail isn't very comfy to grab on to.
[url]www.advanced-armament.com[/url]

Get a Fobus QD light mount for rail so you can quickly attach or remove the light. $20-$22.

Get a Surefire G2 light, the polymer construction absorbs shock better and looks nice with the handgaurd. $35

total price with vertical foregrip=$102.00

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get the AAC rail, it is just as good quality as the GG&G, cheaper, and extends the full length of the handgaurd.
View Quote

It may be cheaper but I don't think its just as good quality.  The angle of the rail on the underside doesn't seem to match spec.

I tried a bunch of add-ons to the rail (a bunch of Fobus/First Samco, scope rings, and a Bushmaster BMAS grip).  The only thing that would fit were the items that 'clamped' on rather than slid on (even then the fit was less than optimal).
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:14:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I decided to go with the GG&G UFIR/Surefire 6P combination, knowing that under a lot of fire the 6P will break.

As a result, I would like to be able to easily take off the 6P when I go to the range. I know about the ARMS #22 lever scope rings, but don't want to spend $100 for a ring for the light.

Anyone know of a cheap, quick release 1" scope ring that would attach to the rail?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#10]
i have had a G2 on my AR for over a year and never had a problem w/ it not working.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=11230[/img]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I've used a Surefire 6P with the Z32 shock proof bezel for years with zero problems. I prefer the Knights Armament 1" flashlight mount($40-$45). Its a relatively inexpensive light setup and you still get Surefire reliablity.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#12]
If I were to do a handguard rail mount, it would likely be the GTS rail.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=161056&w=searchPop[/url]

Seems to me that having the light parallel to the bbl would be a big plus with this system.

PS  I have no association with GTS.  Just mulling over ideas for my own rifles.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#13]
my g2 and mount
[img]http://pimpcat.myftp.org/g2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I decided to go with the GG&G UFIR/Surefire 6P combination, knowing that under a lot of fire the 6P will break.
View Quote

Spend an extra $23 and get the Z32 Shock Isolated Bezel for your 6P and you'll extend the life significantly.

I just ordered one for mine.

As a result, I would like to be able to easily take off the 6P when I go to the range.
View Quote

I've tried the $5 quick detach 1" scope rings and the Fobus Light Mount.  Here is my take on it:

- I like the 1" rings for their clamping ability on the light and their cost.  However they are slower to use (installing & removing the light - however the time is not a consideration for Range removal), slightly heavier, can rust, and are uncomforatable when using the Surefire in your hand.  I now restrict my use of 1" scope rings to my TACM 3 as it has a tape switch and will never be used in my hand.

- For the 6P (or G2) I prefer the Fobus Light Mount.  Its a simple push button to install or remove (very fast), its light, won't rust and it works well when handheld.  You can still use your 6P in your hand and have your thumb activate the button - or you can use it in the 'Cigar Hold' with the button pressing in the fleshy part of your hand.  Use the Fobus mount like the ring on the more expensive 'Combat Lights' Z series.  The plastic mount is MUCH more comfortable than the 1" scope ring (and doesn't have the rattle either).  So using the Fobus mount you get a light that can be used 3 different ways, at a higher ($24) cost.

BTW I mount my Fobus mount on the rear of the light to get all these features - just before the point where you can tighten the light down to.  You must make sure that the mount will not interfer with the on/off rotation of the switch.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Finished my weaponlight. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have a Z32 bezel on order, but they were out of stock at tactgear.com.

Here is a picture of my Colt! (I know the egg beater on the end of the barrel is ugly and needs to be removed - but I really don't mind it).

[img]http://home.insightbb.com/~karlknapp2/ColtM4Final.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Finished my weaponlight. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have a Z32 bezel on order, but they were out of stock at tactgear.com.
View Quote

Call up Surefire at 1-800-828-8809 and order the Z32.  From them it costs $22 + shipping and they have them in stock (that is where I got mine).

Here is a picture of my Colt!
View Quote

Nice looking rifle!  

BTW are you planning on using a foward grip?  The light is in a great position when using a foward grip - but would be a pain if you hold the handguard normally.

You might want to try the mount Fight4YourRights is showing in his post.  Its cheap and doesn't take long to do.  The light can be operated with the thumb constant on/off or momentary.  Others use the mount at the 4:00 position so they can manipulate the controls with their index finger.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#17]
How is the light best engaged in the 6 o'clock position with a VFG?  How about with no VFG?

TIA
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I went for the Inisght M3 ($104 on impactguns.com right now) and the GG&G short  rail it's about 2 inches ($25).  I drilled the handgard out and mounted the rail in the ideal position for my hand.  About $130 and I can use the M3 on my Glocks as well.  The M3 is not the toughest thing around, but it works for me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I haven't had a lot of practice with the light yet, but in answer to your question, to engage the light in the six o'clock position, I can move my left index finger a bit forward to press on the tailcap of the 6P. Works pretty easy. For continuous on you can buy a new tailcap, but I am going to skip the $34.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top