Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 5:57:06 PM EDT
What is the best place to get an 80% reciever? The only place I know of is The Tannery Shop. Are they good? Can anyone give me some pointers on building an 80% reciever.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#1]
found it. this is where i got mine byogun.com/80percent.htm

John
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. I think thats a bit spendy though. But thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Someone said they paid like $40 for one awhile back. I kinda thought I could get one for maybe $80? If not, then I might just get the grade 1 from Shadetree.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I think 0% forgings are $20-$30 but for all the extra work that is done on an 80% I would expect it to be more.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#6]
come on now...loosen those purse strings a bit....
I really dont  think you can buy an 80% "FORGED" AR receiver for $40 bucks... anywhere!!

be sure to let me know when you find some....=)
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't say it was forged, did I? Supposedly you could buy a "grade 3" 80% cast lower from The Tannery Shop for $40, apparently grade 3 meens it has cosmetic blemishs, wich is fine with me because I mite screw up since it is my first lower. I emailed Tannery Shop twice, and still no reply. I may just have to use the phone.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#8]
William is in the process of transitioning from his active duty call-up back to civilian life. If you mailed to his .mil address, he many not have received it. I don't know if he's updated his website yet, as he is making some changes there. He posted on another site that his new email addresses are going to be:

[email protected]
[email protected]

Try one of these addresses, or a phone call.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#9]
www.footpounds.com is a directory of 80% receiver suppliers, jig suppliers, tool suppliers, "how-tos" and basically anything that you could want to know about 80% receivers.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Best ones I have ever seen ar available from [email protected].  He was selling the last couple for $119+shipping.  The reason the are so good is all you need to do is drill holes and tap the buffer.  The magwell was broached to spec and there is no milling required, the top and rear deck are cut to spec and perpendicular to each other and yes, they are forged too.  Throw one of these in CNCGunsmithings jig and the whole process is a piece of cake.  

It is WELL WORTH the extra money to get a good forging, you will easily save yourself many hours of filing, sanding and cursing.  If you are looking to get an 80% lower because you think they are cheaper, move on and get one of the stripped lowers on the EE for $89 shipped.  The tooling alone for an 80% will run you $200 or so not to mention anodizing and coating.  Nothing like playing with battery acid on a weekend!

Do a web search for the "builders squad" and it is about the best page I found.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top