BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/21/2003 12:39:44 AM EDT
I got the picture link from SMGLEE's post on another board. (Give credit where credit is due)

Link Posted: 9/21/2003 12:43:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if we will ever be allowed to buy one?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:07:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd prefere the M-41A  Pulse Rifle 10mm explosive tip cassless standard light armour piercing round with 30mm pump action grenade launcher.

Then if that didn't do it, we'd just nuke [s]MECCA[/s] the place from orbit...just to be sure.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:21:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like a phase plasma rifle with a 40 watt range.

Lol that thing looks like its outta Star Trek and it lacks almost all of the versatility of the M4.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 2:01:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Gay, gay, and gay.

Can you get it molded in pink or aqua?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 2:09:31 AM EDT
[#5]
The standard ol' G36 is much better looking.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 2:11:21 AM EDT
[#6]
It's ugly thats for sure. What makes it better than the M16?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 3:34:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Is that thing made by Mattel?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 4:11:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is that thing made by Mattel?
View Quote

Hell, that's what we said about the M16 back in the early '60s [:D][:D]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 4:41:12 AM EDT
[#9]
This isn't good. Marines near that pathetic excuse for a weapon. So sad...
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:23:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Is that a toy that looks real? (barely) Or a real gun that looks like a toy? (realy)

Think of how hard sand would be to keep out of that cover!!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:54:53 AM EDT
[#11]
At least the thing's not a damn bullpup!  The collapsing stock looks clever.  Ambi control set and cocking lever, too.  I'm sure the front handguard is modular.  Where's the mag release?  No iron sights to speak of!  Looks almost like a built-in BAC ACOG.

I don't know, it might not be so bad.  But it do look like a G-36 with the "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" touch...
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#12]
old news! i saw some of those at toy-r-us for $29.99 last week. they have cool sound effects and the muzzle flashes bright red when you pull the trigger!
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#13]
You can really see the H&K influence in the design.  Lets hope they change the colour of the stock before they pass it out to the troops.  Green would be nice or even black but that light grey has got to go.  Talk to ya'll later. TN.Frank
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:03:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll take the sharp sticks.

Hell I'll probably get one should they come out in the civilian market.  I dont see any of the pluses of the M16 with all the drawbacks.  

Is it carbon composite or something?

What ever happened to the OICW?  
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:17:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I bet the guys at ARMS are developing glue on rails as we speak.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:18:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Rails!?

Assumming they can mount three, where are they gonna put their ANEPQ-2 or whatever?

Why is that thing so gay?

Velocity?

Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I bet the guys at ARMS are developing glue on rails as we speak.
View Quote

Crazy Glue!  That will fix anything on this gun.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:54:27 AM EDT
[#18]
That is the single most ugly excuse for a rifle I've seen in a long time.
Definately can see the HK influence, which makes me sad as I'm a big HK fan.  Stick with the plain old G36, no reason for this...thing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:00:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I'll take two of them if they ever come out with a civilian version..........which is doubtful
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#20]
The expresso attachment is on the other side of the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:16:32 AM EDT
[#21]
They looked better in Starship Troopers when they were black.

The real test is of course can a well endowed woman shoulder one after being pinned to the ground by a sharp 2x4 through the chest. If so, then buy two...

[:)]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The real test is of course can a well endowed woman shoulder one after being pinned to the ground by a sharp 2x4 through the chest. If so, then buy two...

View Quote

[LOLabove]

The only thing I like about it is the clear mag. Everything else looks like baby crap brown.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:58:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, since we are talking about M-41A Pulse Rifles and yes if you slapped a new mag in the indicator would read 99 again.  would anyone want the site on how to build a firing replica using an AR and a Spas12 shotgun? You can also buy the molded plastics for the rifle as well.

end of rabbit trail

Link Posted: 9/21/2003 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#24]
What?  No can opener?  No E-mail?  No LCD display?  No Cordless Infrared IntelliMouse What kind of PalmPilot is this?  HUH?  It a what?  You've got to be kidding me.  I thought guns were black, (gunmetal) gray, or green and made of steel.  

Seriously, I have lots of concerns about this.  1.Can't change uppers  2.No dust cover...if you thought it was hard to keep sand out of an AR with its springy dust cover, try keeping it out with a mental dust cover.  3.No back-up sights-think what'll happen if they get EMPed.  4.How do I put a sling on that?  5.Will this survive the 12" drop test?  6.Do you need two or three screwdrivers to field strip this?  Hey, maybe this will go through airport security...[:O][:D][}:D]

Ghost
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#25]
This reminds me of the uproar when the M16 first came out..Plastic handguards?! .22 Caliber?! weak aluminum receiver!? "mouse gun"! "this will never replace the M14!"......lol

It's like the concept cars you see at the Auto Shows. The final production version never looks that much like the concept vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Hitman, Thanks for the credit. [:)]

Firm end of life for the M16/M4 in 2009.  What will replace our beloved M16 system is beyond me.  The XM8 is one that has then most backing at this time from the higher ups.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#28]
I wonder what it would look like after being in a fire, a barrel, some springs and a pile of goo.
I wonder what the Marine standing behind it is thinking...

Link Posted: 9/21/2003 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Are they considering ballistics at all or what? It seems that version of XM8 is using even shorter barrel than M4A1!
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Kinda looks like a sex toy...only it shoots bullets.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well, since we are talking about M-41A Pulse Rifles and yes if you slapped a new mag in the indicator would read 99 again.  [red]would anyone want the site on how to build a firing replica using an AR and a Spas12 shotgun?[/red] You can also buy the molded plastics for the rifle as well.

end of rabbit trail

View Quote

Actually it was a Thomson SMG and a Spas12, not an AR... see the Special ed DVD'd Bonus section.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Re: XM8 Battle Rifle.

We here at Toys ‘R’ Us, would like very much, to take this time to say, Thank You! We have really had positive feed back on our new line of holiday toy guns. You all here, at AR15.com have been an invaluable asset to the design process. The kids will be so happy this Christmas, when they run to the tree early in the morning, to find the new XM8 rifle, which you all here at this fine forum, have helped to bring into reality. The process was long and hard, but you all hung in there, and the final project is simply, nothing short of amazing! We will have these ready for our stores just after Thanksgiving. So keep an eye out for them, when they hit stores near you!
We would also like to take this time, to give a big “hug” to our marketing wiz kid…SMGLee. His leadership in this project, has been an inspiration to us all here at Toys ‘R’ Us. So again… Thank you all! Keep up the good work, and enjoy all your airsoft guns.

Sincerely,
John Eyler, Toys "R" Us chairman and CEO.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Chen-
Did anyone mention their impressions at the show?
Why the carrying handle again, "lessons learned are lessons lost" or what?

Thanks Chen
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Gay, gay, and gay.

Can you get it molded in pink or aqua?
View Quote

Yeah, what he said...

That's gotta be the [b]FUGLIEST[/b] excuse for a [s]rifle[/s]...[s]carbine[/s]...whatever that I've seen.

Methinks this is what happens when the folks in the Engineering Dept. are allowed to cultivate cannibis...
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#35]
It looks a lot like the old Lazer Tag rifle, except that was white, and had a second pistol grip where the mag is.

I'm serious!
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It looks a lot like the old Lazer Tag rifle, except that was white, and had a second pistol grip where the mag is.

I'm serious!
View Quote

I remember those! And you could buy full body suits that vibrate when hit.

Link Posted: 9/21/2003 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#37]
What's the projected weight?

If it were'nt for the funky Buttstock it would'nt be bad (but it does need a longer Barrel).
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Thats worse than H&K's OICW!
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

[img]http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/labrinid/hoff/movies/1998/feb/StarshipTroopers.jpg[/img]

I'll say something good about it...at least its not a bullpup.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Simple question, and really the only relevant question is, What does it do, that makes it an improvement over what we already have?  Changing just for the sake of change is stupid.  Changing to realize real and useful benefits has merit.  Now, what are the selling points? Obviously beauty is not one of them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

[url]http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/labrinid/hoff/movies/1998/feb/StarshipTroopers.jpg[/url]

I'll say something good about it...at least its not a bullpup.
View Quote

You have to admit that this is the wildest setup for a mini 14.
GG
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I wonder if we will ever be allowed to buy one?
View Quote

I would think so. Can you say TOYS-R-US?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#43]
"Looks like somebody really humped the bunk here"

Gotta love the brilliance of that observation.

Actually I shouldn't be so flippant but I have a bunch of questions about that rifle.

Glass only?
Magazine material?

It looks like a "designer" weapon to me but I admit I have an attitude. As far as the carry handle goes I used to like mine way back when. I'm not sure that's so bad. I think it would be nice to see optics on a weapon that didn't act like a fish hook in brush. I suppose all the foliage that gets stripped of branches onto your rail goodies would break up the weapons silhouette so maybe that's a toss up?

Anyway new isn't always bad but it gives us something to joke about...
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Your correct, my mistake a thompson and a spas12

but i do have th elink to a guy who builds them and i am sure if you have the insides to a good machinest and gunsmith you could make it a working rifle/shotgun

i dont know how to make links active but here it is.

http://home.pressroom.com/philips/pulser/printro.htm
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#45]
eh, I'm not too terribly thrilled about it...

...but i have a feeling we'll all be posting threads on a site called XM8.com one day...

all the bitching we're doing has already been done about 40 years ago about the AR-15...Déjà vu anyone?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Am I the only one that thinks, that does not look like a working rifle, but more like an Engineering clay mock up?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#47]
It looks like a G36 with a restyled (read de-styled) shell.  I'll bet that's exactly what it is.  You can see the H&K fire control group and markings.  

It's got a G36 mag in it

It's got what appear to be G36 optics.

It's got a G36 flash hider

It even looks like it is charged the same way.  

What's new except the ugliness?   I'll bet it's because the US military doesn't want to adopt a standard issue rifle already in use by a another country, so they had H&K secretely redesign the shell of the rifle so it would be a "new" rifle for US trials.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#48]
It looks like if you were to shoulder that rifle, just that pressure would collapse the stock.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#49]
This ‘special version’ of the XM8 was recently spotted undergoing testing. Of particular note are the integrated lipstick holder, and the replacement of the terms ‘safe’ and ‘fire’, with ‘Lets Talk’ and Lets Not Fight’.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid80/p9bc5d224d42c4395dcd8c99bf7633b07/fb05f26e.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Looks OK to me. SOme of you are overreacting old farts... same kind of folks who whined about the AR back in the day I'm sure.

I am more interested in its technical specifications. Other than the improved (and interchangeable) optics systems, what makes this any better or more reliable than the AR?

That is a much more important question than how it looks. Stop acting like a bunch of women! Questioning Looks over function! Ha! (just kidding...)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top