Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2005 3:20:46 PM EDT
A buddy of mine came into town yesterday, and we went to the range.  He shot some pistol with me, then we dropped off some steel poppers on the rifle range to play with the long guns.  We had two EOtechs, one IOR M2, an ACOG 31F (red chevron), and the Accupoint with the red triangle.

I tried the BAC thing with the ACOG, and I guess I'm just a retard or something - but I couldn't get comfortable with it.  The ACOG was great for the longer range stuff (from 50 to 450).  But I just couldn't get my eyes to do the BAC thing (too much time behind a scope I think - or trying too hard or something).

Then he handed me the Accupoint.  

The angels started singing.  

I cried a little - I'll admit it.  

I loved that thing.  Huge FOV, great optics, good eye relief.  On low power, worked similar to an aimpoint, with a really bright dot.  Oh 4x, worked like the ACOG w/o the holdover reticle.  To say the least, I was very forking impressed.  I had read about these things on this forum, but didn't have an appreciation for how well they worked.  I still like my eotech for close in, but I think I will be scraping together the money for an Accupoint and mount very soon.  I see this as a great general purpose optic for a patrol rifle, where all concievable shots will be under 200 yards.

Then, I will have all of my guns and gear for sale on the EE, since my wife will leave me with the kids and take very dime I own.

Anyone out there have a spare bedroom?
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 6:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm with you SPDSNYPR !!!   I started off with Aimpoints.  They were great up close but lacking at

distance or for target ID.   I switched to TA11 ACOG's and loved them for distance but my speed

at close range suffered.   To me the Accupoint is the best of both worlds.  I am actually faster at

close range  than the Aimpoint and faster at distance than the ACOG.  Another benefit  is being

able to be more precise at distance with the triangle as opposed to the Donut.  I liked it so much I

even bought the 3-9X40 version for my .30-06 Tikka deer rifle.  There are some deer here in

eastern Va that are in serious trouble this hunting season.  Many thanks to Grant and Roxanne at

G&R for the Larue mounts and Accupoints.
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 5:45:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Then he handed me the Accupoint.  

The angels started singing.  

I cried a little - I'll admit it.  

I loved that thing.  Huge FOV, great optics, good eye relief.  On low power, worked similar to an aimpoint, with a really bright dot.  Oh 4x, worked like the ACOG w/o the holdover reticle.  To say the least, I was very forking impressed.  

Glad you like it! I've been singing the Accupoint praises here for almost two years. Glad it's finally catching on.
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw someone praising it up when I first signed on here, but had never seen one in real life.  I don't have enough time or money to trade scopes often, and I try to stick with things I know work for me.  Basically, I rely on my buddy who is still in the Marines to show me all the cool toys.

I have already started working on the wife for one of these.  I won't even look at things like the short dot (way outta my reach).  But this looks like a very good system IMO.

Guess I need to start looking at 1" mounts, since everything I have is 30mm.
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#5]
If Trijicon would take the 21R, change to a Chevron and add a BDC it would probably be the ultimate scope.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If Trijicon would take the 21R, change to a Chevron and add a BDC it would probably be the ultimate scope.  

No argument here.  Wonder if it would put a dent in the ACOG market?  Less money, more versatile.  Of course, the price would go up so much I couldn't afford it, so maybe they shouldn't screw with it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 1:55:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

At least for me, the TR21R isn't really usable within 50 yards, but the TR20R is usable from 0 out to at least 300.  I don't need more than 4x at 300 to hit a reasonably sized target, although the 6x-9x magnification possibilities of the TR21R does make it a bit easier at that distance.

Link Posted: 11/2/2005 4:53:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

At least for me, the TR21R isn't really usable within 50 yards, but the TR20R is usable from 0 out to at least 300.  I don't need more than 4x at 300 to hit a reasonably sized target, although the 6x-9x magnification possibilities of the TR21R does make it a bit easier at that distance.

I think you meant the TR20 which is a 3-9x.  The TR21R is a 1.25-4x, it works very well for me, I have two  The reason Trijicon can not put a BDC stadia below the triangle - The post below it is the light transmission conduit.  I have mine zeroed for 250 yds and its good out to 350 yds with 55 gr.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 8:19:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you meant the TR20 which is a 3-9x.  The TR21R is a 1.25-4x, it works very well for me, I have two  The reason Trijicon can not put a BDC stadia below the triangle - The post below it is the light transmission conduit.  I have mine zeroed for 250 yds and its good out to 350 yds with 55 gr.

Yeah, sorry, had that backward.

Anyway, I like the option of having a 1.25-2x setting I can use within the 0-50 yard range.  For me, the 3x minimum doesn't work for CQB.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#10]
have to say its a hard to beat setup. my accupoints replaced my ta31fs . get the larue mount. i called direct to larue and got great service,latest mount with lock and a couple of other items free. check on ebay you can get a new accupoint for 400 range.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#11]
As much as I'd like to save the money, I hate to buy stuff used - especially over the internet.  You just don't have any idea what you are getting.  Anyone can alter pictures - or post a pic of their wares while they were new, and send you the one they used as a hammer.  If it was someone I knew, sure - but not the e-bay stranger.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

And put it in a 30mm tube it would be the ULTIMATE optic.....espcecially considering the price.

Just my .02

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:57:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Not only do I have a spare bedroom I have a spare Accupoint!

FWIW, I have a 3X9 Accupoint on my primary deer rifle....and the last two deer I shot were taken SOLEY because of the BAC feature.  I wouldn't have made the shot ... or had the confidence during that slit hair decision to even fire.... if it weren't for the Accupoint.

I swear by that scope now.  I'm a huge fan.

Also FWIW...atop my AR sits a TA31A....which I also swear by!  

I think they're two completely different animals with two different purposes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, now I went off and bought a Nikon tactical that was such a good deal, I couldn't pass it up.  Be another few months before I can scrape together enough OT to get an accupoint.  Now, I just gotta figure out how to get another AR to put it on.  I was thinking a middy.  Boy will the wife be happy when I get another AR and scope!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:10:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Well, now I went off and bought a Nikon tactical that was such a good deal, I couldn't pass it up.  Be another few months before I can scrape together enough OT to get an accupoint.  Now, I just gotta figure out how to get another AR to put it on.  I was thinking a middy.  Boy will the wife be happy when I get another AR and scope!!

Don't worry, I told my parents if I don't make it back on this tour, you get the scope, lol
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Ron, that ain't funny, dude.  

If you don't come back from the sandbox . . . I get all your toys.

Just make sure you come back.  

And where were you at the end of Nov?  You were supposed to stop by, biyatch.  How am I supposed to play with all your cool toys if you don't stop by?

How long till you leave (you honorary MP, you)?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh, and send me an e-mail if you're going to be around a few more weeks.  We're going skiing in CO in 2 wks.  You're officially invited.  Just say 'yes' to skiing.  Don't argue.  I'm still bigger than you (but I have to admit your a better shot with the AR now - dammit).  Still gotcha with the pistols.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Too late I am forward, away from CO, getting ready to leave CONUS in a short while.  I already got the speech from my dad about no more medals with Vs.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Alright.  Guess you have a pretty good excuse for missing this one - "I'm going to war again"

You'll be on the next one.  Have fun in the sandbox.  Say hello to mom and dad for me next time you talk to them.  Keep your head down.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I have an 15 from RRA. It has the removeable Tactical Carrying Handle and a fixed A-2 front site post. I am getting an Accupoint TR21 in red. Here are my 2 questions.

1) Do I mount the accupoint on top of the Tactical carrying handle, or do I remove the handle and mount the Accupoint starigt on the top rail of the 15?

2) Will I have a problem seeing over that front site post?

Thanx-
Bill
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:36:37 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have an 15 from RRA. It has the removeable Tactical Carrying Handle and a fixed A-2 front site post. I am getting an Accupoint TR21 in red. Here are my 2 questions.

1) Do I mount the accupoint on top of the Tactical carrying handle, or do I remove the handle and mount the Accupoint starigt on the top rail of the 15?

2) Will I have a problem seeing over that front site post?

Thanx-
Bill

Take the CH off, and mount the scope to the rail w/ an appropriate mount.  You won't have probs with the FS at all (won't even see it).
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You won't have probs with the FS at all (won't even see it).

At 1.25X?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#23]
I guess if you look for it, you can find it.  The accupoint that I borrowed from Ron has lines (I guess fiber optics) that run up to the triangle.  If I am remembering correctly, I never noticed the FS at all while shooting it.  If you just can't stand it, get a folding front sight and your problem is solved as if by magic.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#24]
If you have a fixed from site what is involved in replacing it with a flip up? Is it pricey?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:46:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Depends on how it's put on, whether you have a permanent flash hider, etc.  I replaced mine easily since it used screws as opposed to pins.  Compared to the price of the scope and mount, it's beans (depending on how nice you want to get).  I thought it was fairly simple.  I'm sure you can find a better source of info than me in the do-it-yourself portion of the site.  Cost of the sights is easily found with the search function on the EE or in a midway or brownells catalog.  

I personally don't mind the FS in the scope pic - it really isn't a big deal.  I'd try it first, and if you just can't stand it, get the folding FSB.  I see no use in it, but to each his own.

My big plan (after I buy a bbl and take my ski trip) is to save for the accupoint, then a mount, then throw it on a gun with a fixed FSB.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top