Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 12:49:29 PM EDT
Has anyone had any accuracy decline with their AR after adding a flash suppressor?  My HBar has shot five shots under 1/2" at 100yds with iron sights and hand loads, off of a bench.  It averages about 5/8"-3/4" groups if I do my part.  I don't want to mess up my accuracy, and have been a little apprehensive about having someone put my barrel on a lathe and then thread it.  What has been your experience with your rifle?  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#1]
A total of  9 votes?    

There has got to be more opinions/experience on this?  I don't/can't believe that people don't care about the accuracy of their rifle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:25:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I am still pending threads. The machine I was in line for immediately after 9-14 was unsuitable, as I am not comfortable threading up to a shoulder on a lathe not equipped with a footbrake. Seems a good way to end up with a 19" barrel... However, as soon as I do "get threads" I will post the results of the first range visit without delay.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:52:49 AM EDT
[#3]
The only thing I have noticed to date is that my zero changed (as expected) after getting my barrel cut down, re-crowned, threaded, and flash hider installed. No bad shot groups yet.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I removed the blaster from an Armalite, and installed an A2 flash hider with a so called crush washer.
It moved the groups about 3-4" to the right.  Readjusted my optics for the change.  Accuracy is about the same as before.  I'm averaging  1.5" at 100 yds for 5 shots.  I think the gun will do better with a shooter that still has good eye sight.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Your zero changed, but in what direction?  I suspect the windage was different and would be really surprised if the elevation changed.  Anyway, some little tweaking seems normal if you removed and remounted your barrel on the upper.  Flash supressors can change the overall harmonics of a barrel in some situations.  This is an important thing to take into consideration.  I would think that the longer the barrel, the more potential effect a F.S. might have.  
-WhiteFox
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:24:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I had my Rock River Arms M4gery barrel chopped and threaded and then had a Phantom permanently pinned on. There was a slight change in POI (less than two inches), but I found the accuracy to be the same using my Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I think WhiteFox has an excellent point.  I'd be surprised if the act of removing an reinstalling the barrel did not effect the POI.

What we're looking for is changes in group size and it looks like the answer so far is no significant effect.  Of course, that brings up the definition of 'significant'...

EDITED TO ADD:
A few months ago, a shot a match next to a high-master and he was putting them in the X-ring all day long.  I was in no position to say, "You know, you should really get rid of that flash supressor."
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top