Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 6:26:46 AM EDT
I'm in the market for my first ar-15, and wondered what I should look for as far as something thats accurate? I'd use it primarily for targets and coyotes, nothing competitive. Thanks for any help or info you can give me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#1]
A Bushy A3 20 inch, if you're looking for a factory gun.  I would strongly suggest building one, though, if the prospect of putting together a lower receiver isn't all that daunting.  You save a ton of money, money that's good for ammo and optics, which I would strongly recommend in your case.

Though you say you will be hunting coyotes.  Ever think about an AR-10 (.308) type rifle, or perhaps a bolt?

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:51:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm in the market for my first ar-15, and wondered what I should look for as far as something thats accurate? I'd use it primarily for targets and coyotes, nothing competitive. Thanks for any help or info you can give me.

Take a look at RRA Varmint SS 20" 1:8 twist A4 flat top.
What range are you shooting paper/coyotes at?
Now, if you are planning on toting that AR around a bit in the field, you may want something a bit lighter in weight, but go with a flat top for optics mounting.

www.rbprecision.com/rb_precision_ar15_performance_tips_.htm
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:59:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Accuracy is a function of the shooter as much as the rifle.  I'd get something simple with a flattop, simple FF tube and an HBAR or bull barrel, 20"-24".  Don't skimp on optics, if you can afford to.  

You can give a novice a $10,000 rifle and he will shoot like a novice.  You can give an expert marksman a $300 dragged in the dirt, beater rifle with poor optics and he will shoot it with expert marksman accuracy or to the limits of the rifle, anyway.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:10:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a bolt action .223 and .22/250 that I use on yotes, but just thought it would be fun to have a semi/auto sometimes. I have been told it's cheaper to build one, but i really have no clue at all how to get started. I fugured it would be easier to just buy something used and pre-assembled
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#5]
DO not Build one, unless you want to end up with Black rifle syndrome.  I built on rifle.  I know have three black rifles invarious configurationas and an AK47 clone.  Thousands of rounds of ammuniton and I have also become a member of magaholics.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Bushmaster varmiter or a heavy barrel armilite flat top for factory jobs.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top