Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2010 3:29:49 AM EDT
Hi guys-

I finally got a nice weekend to go out and shoot at the local outdoor range last weekend and while it was a great time - I came home with a cold. I caught the bug again and now I can't stop thinking about building another AR. I currently have a standard 16" and a 7" pistol just for toying with, so I've been thinking about building a tricked out accuracy gun. I'm thinking a 20" barrel, but I'm not quite sure what next. From my understanding bull barrels are made for accuracy, but it seems like DPMS is the only place who really makes them and I'd like to go with a higher quality manufacturer. That said, I was thinking a SS bbl - am I correct in believing that these are higher quality/more accurate? If I went this route I could get a Stealth upper and feed my Larue addiction as well.

I know you guys have opinions/answers, lets hear them
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 6:20:19 AM EDT
[#1]
going soley on what ive seen here, a custom krieger barrel, white oak, or noveske barrel are all up there, for pure accuracy, ive read krieger is up for the best.  Larue stealth have discusting accuracy as well, pretty much guarunteed sub moa for 1200 for an upper.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Check dynamic armament out... Ive got one of the 20" stainless bull barreled uppers from them and couldnt be happier... Barrels are from wilson combat blanks, thats about all I know about em.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want a factory built upper made for accuracy look at SS Noveske and LaRue. If you want to build one yourself there are quite a few great barrels by various companies out there if you do some research.

[ETA] Wes at MSTN would probably be the best guy to contact about building a very accurate upper.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#4]
My 16" Stealth shoots sub moa and so does my 20" upper with a barrel from Superior Barrels. Both have ACOGs on them and are not set up for extreme accuracy but I do occasionally get groups under an inch at 100 yards when I do my part. Most of the time with that set up I get about an inch or inch and a half. I just got an 18" Stealth and I am waiting on the glass still should be here this month. I ordered a USO SN3 1.8-10x TPAL. So I should see smaller groups using a higher powered scope.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input guys. I don't know that I want to put a whole upper together myself yet, I was planning on buying one assembled. As I said, I have looked into Larue a bit - I'll check out Noveske as well.
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 10:46:05 AM EDT
[#6]
NOVESKERIFLEWORKS.COM
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 11:21:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Looking at Noveske I only see options through 18".  My original plan was a 20" - will the 2" difference on ballistics/accuracy?
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Longer effects velocity. Other than that it has nothing to do with accuracy.

Likewise, bull barrels are made for accuracy but it's a matter of stiffness and mass to soak up heat that is helping, not inherent accuracy. More weight often helps keep a rifle steadier as well, but that doesn't have to be the barrel itself.

Heavier barrels take longer to see any effect from heat build up, but also take longer to cool. The trade off here really depends on your shooting style and expectations.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Compass Lake Engineering

White Oak Armament

Denny's Guns - aka: Global Tactical Supply
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Everything suggested is great. Another option if you want to spend less and are interested in a bull barrell, is the Rock River A4 Varmint. My 18" bead blasted stainless is freaky accurate. I haven't even tried it with a good trigger yet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 2:54:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the insight guys. I hadn't heard of some of these options before. I was thinking at least a 1 in 8" twist, if not a 1 in 7" - any thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm going with a White Oak Armament 18" SPR barrel. Match grade and I can still put a flash suppressor/brake on the end.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#13]
One of my builds is a JT Distributing Bull barrel 20" SS with 1/8 twist. I think it was around $500 for everything minus the lower. The thing is one of my most accurate AR's!!! It shoot WAY under an inch with decent loads. I have a 3-13x56 Doctor Optics scope and it is my designated Varmit rig. I keep wanting to build another varmit rig but then I highly doubt I will ever get any better accuracy no mater how much I spend.
WW
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Take your pick. Larue is the route.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Try this.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Call ADCO, they can build you a sweet rig.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a LaRue Stealth w/ an 18" barrel, and a GTS Operator w/ a 16" barrel.  Both can outshoot me.  On a good day, I can shoot around an inch (5 shot groups) at a hundred yards.  You would be happy with either.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#18]
RRA
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top