Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2014 2:02:07 PM EDT
I want to start by saying, please forgive me if this is a noob question, and I should already know the answer.

I have a DPMS Oracle A-15 .223/5.56, after putting about 1000 rounds through it throughout the day I was noticing the ejector fail a little. After getting it home and cleaning it, I reassembled the weapon, and wanted to test the ejector. So I proceeded with the following:

1. Opened, and locked the bolt in the open position
2. Securely inserted one live round into the chamber
3. Pressed the bolt release button (confirmed my finger was no where near the trigger)
4. BANG, gun went off.

Being the responsible gun owner I am, the round discharged itself in the ground, and no one was harmed. But I am trying to understand what went wrong? I have done this same pre loading the barrel by hand on many other makes and models of guns, and have never once had an issue. Many owners manuals actually suggest using this method for firing the gun without a magazine. I want to repeat, my finger was no where near the trigger, and the gun functioned just fine after this without ever taking it apart again before shooting.

Is this expected behavior for this gun? Either way, how did this happen? Is this not something you should do with this gun? Are there other types of guns I should be aware of that I should not do this with?

Thank you all in advance for your help!
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#1]
First, get a damn snap cap. Glad no one got hurt.

Are you SURE that you didn't pull the trigger? Be honest. If you even think you're not sure, you probably did pull the trigger.

AR-15 type rifles have a floating firing pin, so it is possible that that upon closing, the firing pin had enough energy to set off the primer. This is pretty rare though. There could be several contributing factors that could have caused this. A poor;y seated primer, a soft primer, an out of spec firing pin, to name a few.

Next time, buy some dummy rounds or use expended brass to test stuff like this.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Soft primer + not using a magazine would be my guess. What kind of ammo? Reloads?

And yes, I would always use a mag.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Soft primer combined with the free floating firing pin and a bolt closing at full speed with no magazine to slow it down.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Which ammo?
Which trigger?
What was the problem you were experiencing with the ejector?

Link Posted: 1/8/2014 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Take rifle to a smith and contact manufacturer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#6]
What kind of ammo? There are a few companies that use standard type primers instead of the cci41 or wolf 5.56 that most of us use?
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#7]
It can happen. Rare. Never had it happen but once and it was loading from a magazine with the gun benched and safed after the range went hot from a cease fire.
Never hurts to make sure that the fire control group function checks correctly because it can also happen from hammer follow if the hammer was not properly retained by the trigger or disconnector. Also make sure the bolt face is free of debris. Something stuck to the bolt face near the firing pin hole can cause it also.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Whoops, nm.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#10]
My guess is dirty firing pin may have been stuck forward, as opposed to being loose to move back and forth before the hammer strikes it
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My guess is dirty firing pin may have been stuck forward, as opposed to being loose to move back and forth before the hammer strikes it
View Quote

Can't happen. The firing pin does not even come into play untill the bolt is locking in. When the gun unlocks the firing pin is held by the rear of the carrier and the bolt is pulled forward away from the firing pin.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Soft primer combined with the free floating firing pin and a bolt closing at full speed with no magazine to slow it down.
View Quote

My guess would be this, also known as a slamfire
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Can't happen. The firing pin does not even come into play untill the bolt is locking in. When the gun unlocks the firing pin is held by the rear of the carrier and the bolt is pulled forward away from the firing pin.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't know that. Learn somethin new everyday. lol
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I am 1 million percent sure I didn't pull the trigger. I was being extra alert since I was in the city, and remember physically looking at my finger to confirm I was below the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Soft primer + not using a magazine would be my guess. What kind of ammo? Reloads?

View Quote

I will confirm I was not using a mag, but why would that matter? The ammo was just the cheepo federal brand from cabellas. Not reloads but new.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Which ammo?
Which trigger?
What was the problem you were experiencing with the ejector?

View Quote

Ammo: Store bought Federal .223 rounds (not reloads)
Trigger: Trigger that came with the gun, never been removed
Ejector issue: I was out in some really dirty areas and got a bunch of crap in the ejector, just needed to be cleaned. Wasn't actually broken or anything.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I will confirm I was not using a mag, but why would that matter? The ammo was just the cheepo federal brand from cabellas. Not reloads but new.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if the round is already in the chamber and there is no mag, you arent going to have any friction/resistance from the bolt having to push the round out of the mag and into the chamber.  there is also probably some friction from the mag itself.  

i've only ever see an SKS slam fire like that.  glad no one got hurt.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I would guess FCG malfunction (hammer following the BCG). caused by a worn, dirty or modified FCG, OR a stuck firing pin (remove BCG from gun and tip it vertical then horizontal to see if the firing pin slides on it's own), OR excessive firing pin (defective firing pin) protrusion (check with firing pin protrusion gauge), or a soft, over-sensitive, or improperly seated primer.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read dano's post.

Link Posted: 1/10/2014 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Accidental Negligent Discharge on Bolt Close

Call it what it is.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 7:14:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Call it what it is.
View Quote

i've always wondered why people get nitpicky over this, frankly, after 4 years in the military, what op describes i DO see it as a accidental discharge, since op NEVER pulled the trigger, hit the  trigger, or purposely tried to get the hammer to strike.

the easiest way i would say to describe this, did the user perform a action with the intent to cycle teh weapon, (if yes adn roudn is discharge neglegent fire) did the user perform a action that should NOT of cause a round firing(loading a round, extracting a round etc) then accidental.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:00:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

i've always wondered why people get nitpicky over this, frankly, after 4 years in the military, what op describes i DO see it as a accidental discharge, since op NEVER pulled the trigger, hit the  trigger, or purposely tried to get the hammer to strike.

the easiest way i would say to describe this, did the user perform a action with the intent to cycle teh weapon, (if yes adn roudn is discharge neglegent fire) did the user perform a action that should NOT of cause a round firing(loading a round, extracting a round etc) then accidental.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Call it what it is.

Accidental discharge and a good lesson.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Guys, have this on a hot range during basic, explain to the to D.I or Range master how you did not load the weapon correctly and this happened, and trust me, by the time you get done wearing out many pairs of boots on your nature runs with a full pack filled with extra rocks, you will understand the difference between a AD, and a incorrectly charging of the weapon that resulted in a neglectful discharge instead.

And as stated, incorrect loading is nothing new.  Way back it  the colt 1911 days, same would happen when a round was not correctly loaded out of the mag, and pretty much ending up with long nature runs as well (that is after you had choked yourself out a few times on both the DI and range masters hands before the military become more PC that is has become today).
View Quote

The difference is, I am not in the military. I do not have a DI chasing after me to make sure I didn't blink too many times in the last hour. And where procedure in the military might say you are neglectful if you don't spit shine your boots every day, I wouldn't say what i did qualifies as neglectful in any way.

Now if say, the manual that came with the weapon specified not to do this, and I just failed to listen, than yes, neglectful. But after owning many guns for a very long time, and many of the manuals actually suggesting this method, there was nothing telling me I shouldn't do what I did. No range master, no DI, no user manual, none of the other shooters that were with me (two of which were Marines, including an Armorer).

I'm not even necessarily saying that me not knowing qualifies the absence of neglect, but when people that have been trained to maintain these guns by our military don't know about this issue, I would hardly say it is common knowledge, let alone anything but accidental.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:32:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The difference is, I am not in the military. I do not have a DI chasing after me to make sure I didn't blink too many times in the last hour. And where procedure in the military might say you are neglectful if you don't spit shine your boots every day, I wouldn't say what i did qualifies as neglectful in any way.

Now if say, the manual that came with the weapon specified not to do this, and I just failed to listen, than yes, neglectful. But after owning many guns for a very long time, and many of the manuals actually suggesting this method, there was nothing telling me I shouldn't do what I did. No range master, no DI, no user manual, none of the other shooters that were with me (two of which were Marines, including an Armorer).

I'm not even necessarily saying that me not knowing qualifies the absence of neglect, but when people that have been trained to maintain these guns by our military don't know about this issue, I would hardly say it is common knowledge, let alone anything but accidental.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys, have this on a hot range during basic, explain to the to D.I or Range master how you did not load the weapon correctly and this happened, and trust me, by the time you get done wearing out many pairs of boots on your nature runs with a full pack filled with extra rocks, you will understand the difference between a AD, and a incorrectly charging of the weapon that resulted in a neglectful discharge instead.

And as stated, incorrect loading is nothing new.  Way back it  the colt 1911 days, same would happen when a round was not correctly loaded out of the mag, and pretty much ending up with long nature runs as well (that is after you had choked yourself out a few times on both the DI and range masters hands before the military become more PC that is has become today).

The eight steps of functioning (feeding, chambering, locking, firing, unlocking, extracting, ejecting, and cocking) begin after the loaded magazine has been inserted into the weapon.

http://quarterbore.com/library/pdf_files/fm23_9v1.pdf

To put it as nicely as possible, I highly doubt your story about a USMC armorer being present for your event and having no clue as to what could have gone wrong.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top