Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2004 9:51:00 AM EDT
So, what is everyone adding to their Beowulf/SOCOM/L-W, especially now that the AWB is gone?
Lets start at the muzzle: Muzzle brake or flash suppressor?
Forend: rail and/or free float handguards? lights? vertical fore grips?
How about optics?  What all works/doesn't work with the heavier recoil?
Speaking of recoil, how about heavier buffers/springs and recoil pads on the stock?
And magazines...L-W says that they have switched vendors for their magazines and the replacement for the 12 rounders will hold 14 rounds!  They're testing a double stack that will hold "about" 25 rounds and they're still working on the 60 rd Beta type mag.  And best of all, everything will be available to the public!
What did I miss?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#3]
KKM's must be really efficient.
I would imagine that 458 would put out a big blast.
What type of hunting are you going to do with it ?
Bear or wild boar?

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool,
That'll hit em so hard it'll look like somebody jerked their feet out from under them.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:43:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So, what is everyone adding to their Beowulf/SOCOM/L-W, especially now that the AWB is gone?
Lets start at the muzzle: Muzzle brake or flash suppressor?
Forend: rail and/or free float handguards? lights? vertical fore grips?
How about optics?  What all works/doesn't work with the heavier recoil?
Speaking of recoil, how about heavier buffers/springs and recoil pads on the stock?
And magazines...L-W says that they have switched vendors for their magazines and the replacement for the 12 rounders will hold 14 rounds!  They're testing a double stack that will hold "about" 25 rounds and they're still working on the 60 rd Beta type mag.  And best of all, everything will be available to the public!
What did I miss?

a 25 AND 60 ROUND MAG?
man talk about a load.
Actually I think it would be cool if everyone that had them would post up some pics of these updated beasts.
458's 50'wulfs and the like.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Who makes a collapsable stock that will withstand the recoil?  The standard CAR or M4 stocks both have such a small locking stud, that they end up bending and jamming up.  The VLTOR stock has the same little stud on it as well.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:16:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The standard CAR or M4 stocks both have such a small locking stud, that they end up bending and jamming up.  The VLTOR stock has the same little stud on it as well.

Wow, I didn't know it was a problem.  My Vltor has less than 100 rounds of Beowulf through it.  What about the ACE SOCOM stock?  That is often touted as the strongest collapsable.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The standard CAR or M4 stocks both have such a small locking stud, that they end up bending and jamming up.  The VLTOR stock has the same little stud on it as well.

Wow, I didn't know it was a problem.  My Vltor has less than 100 rounds of Beowulf through it.  What about the ACE SOCOM stock?  That is often touted as the strongest collapsable.

MAINEiac,
went to the range today with stingray, he's got one of those on his 'wulf.
I asked him about it and he said he's got about 100 rounds through it with no problems at all.
You could probably email him and see what he had to say about it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's mine: I have one of the RRA lowers. I bought it very soon after they came out, when they first started offerring the brake. As far as the stock, all I did is put on a rubber butt pad. The old one is in the kitchen, being used as a meat tenderizing hammer. The laser is a cheapy BSA ($30) that has held its zero for  about 300 rds. It looks like it is blocking the scope, but actually no,as it is below the 1" part of the tube. The scope is a Leupold Vari X-II 3X9X40 that I had on my muzzle loader. It is mounted on Millet extra hihg AR rings and has been great. The flashlight is bright as hell, and you can actually see well enough through the scope with it on to make a 100 yard shot in the dark, or blind an intruder in a hallway. The problem I have had with the light is that the solder connection from the switch to the battery spring in the back of the light keeps breaking.

I would love to have a free floating handguard, but I think they are just too expensive, If I spend that kind of money, it will be for a Jewell trigger. I am so glad I finally got the jamming problems fixed so I can actually start using the 3 Bucc brass catcher!!

Sometimes I think I have too many gadjets on this thing, but, oh well.........

This forum rocks!!
http://home.alltel.net/fdombek/beo.JPG
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice set up man.
Wee you want ing the free float for accuracy or to be able to mount some of the gadgets on ?
If it was just for gadjets there are a few rail mounts out there that would fit the bill.
I've got the alostyr's on mine.
Solid as a rock too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks. I was wanting to free float for better accuracy and LOOKS. I think the round slotted hanguards look great.

So please tell me. I have read the handguard threads, but I am still confused. It is said that the Beowulf uses mid-length handguards, but when I look on supplier websites I see "rifle" and "carbine" length handguards. So, is it the carbine, or neither of the above?

Ihave spent ALL DAY working on an Adventureline aluminum mag, since I got one of the England mags to work so well yesterday. I had bought 5 each of the England and grey Adventureline (US GI, right?) mags from Ammoman awhile back. Anyway back to the Adventure. First of all, there are 2 extra little dimples at the very top of the ribs on these mags that are deeper than the rib, and reduce the ID of the mag such that a 50 Beowulf cartridge will hang between them. Easily fixed with very little filing.

After that,  I have spent hours adjusting the feed lips, only to finally decide that the spring definitely felt weaker in the Adventureline mag. I had the cartridge presentation in the mag exactly like  in the Rotal Ordinance mag that works perfectly, and it still didn't work. (alredy had the green follower installed) I just put the spring and follower out of one of the England mags into the the GI mag, and it worked great. So, Iguess I will be ordering 5 rebuild kits. I Don't lioke the aluminum mags as much (besides all the trouble they have been) because they flex at the top easier, and with the 50,  you have a little more mass ramming into the feed lips. I am not sure how durable they will be. Think I'll get 5 more of the England mags.....

Comments?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

So please tell me. I have read the handguard threads, but I am still confused. It is said that the Beowulf uses mid-length handguards, but when I look on supplier websites I see "rifle" and "carbine" length handguards. So, is it the carbine, or neither of the above?

The "midlength" is in between carbine and rifle as far as length.  Not all manufacturers of replacement handguards and forends make the midlength size.
BTW, that is a great setup you have there
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Ihave spent ALL DAY working on an Adventureline aluminum mag...
After that,  I have spent hours adjusting the feed lips...I Don't lioke the aluminum mags as much (besides all the trouble they have been) because they flex at the top easier, and with the 50,  you have a little more mass ramming into the feed lips. I am not sure how durable they will be. Think I'll get 5 more of the England mags.....

Comments?

Bill Alexander had a couple of interesting comments about magazines.  He said that he has received numerous reports of USA brand magzines working very well in the Beowulf.  He also suggested just going through your collection of magazines and picking out those that worked...pretty simple idea...
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I salivate at the thought of a 25 rounder for the 'wulf!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#17]
444slayer,
The thermold mags work well too.
Very little if any modification needed. One other thing I've found is that the little "post ban" colt
9-10 rounds mags like what I got with my RRA will hold and feed 3 rounds perfectly.
good short mag for hunting or bench shooting.

And, to second MAINEiac's statement, the hand guards are in between carbine and rifle.
I looked for a while before asking what would work here. Glad I did.

I love my alostyrs. I've got the tango down rail panels on mine , stingray's got the ladder type rail protectors (that's what I call them) on his and they both work very well and provide a good grip.
If you have small hands you might want to go with the ladder type, the rail panels do make it a bit big for someone with small hands.

And since they come in different lengths you can mix and match them to fit whateve goodies you mount on them.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top