Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 2:39:22 AM EDT
Could someone please explain about contoured barrels?  What are the common ways that barrels are usually contoured? Advantages/ Disadvantages? Cost?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:15:09 AM EDT
[#1]
HBAR - usually cheapest
Gov't - lighter (thin under handguards)
Superthin/pencil- very light
M4 - similar to what most army/af are using (notch is useless unless you can hang a gl off it)
straight fluting - takes away some weight while keepins some rigidity and increases surface area somewhat
spiral fluting - same as straight
bull -  heavy

Those are just what I can think of off the top of my head as standard.

You can also get pretty much whatever you want from a custom barrel turner.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 6:38:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I've always wondered about the gov't A2 and m4 profile barrel, why are they only thin under the handguards?  What's the point of making only the section forward of the FSB heavy?  
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#3]
The 20" 2nd generation XM-8 that I played with has a fluted barrel.  I think it is going to become much more popular with the military in the future, but that is simply a SWAG on my part.  If you have ever felt a fluted and a non-fluted, it is noticeable
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've always wondered about the gov't A2 and m4 profile barrel, why are they only thin under the handguards?  What's the point of making only the section forward of the FSB heavy?  

The extra weight out on the end helps make the rifle more steady when aiming and offers a little help in controlling recoil.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:12:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Also, I believe that hanging the M203 GL off the end puts alot of stress on the forward part of the barrel, so they made them heavy forward of the FSB to add a little rigidity to the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So it won't bend as easy when using a bayonette...or so I've heard.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:52:56 PM EDT
[#7]
This thread has some related information that you might find helpful.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top