Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 8:35:26 PM EDT
I currently have an RRA Tactical Entry 16" carbine. I also want a 20" AR. Instead of buying another complete rifle I was debating on just buying a 20" upper and swapping it out with my 16" upper as needed.

If I zero both uppers on the same lower, is it reasonable to assume that the zeros would be retained while swapping out uppers. I basically assume this to be true since GI rifles retain their zeroes even after field stripping for operator maintenance. I don't mean to ask a stupid question, I'm just asking to make sure someone out there doesn't know something that I'm not aware of before I throw down $500.00 for a new upper.

Thanks for your time,

Brent
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I currently have an RRA Tactical Entry 16" carbine. I also want a 20" AR. Instead of buying another complete rifle I was debating on just buying a 20" upper and swapping it out with my 16" upper as needed.

If I zero both uppers on the same lower, is it reasonable to assume that the zeros would be retained while swapping out uppers. I basically assume this to be true since GI rifles retain their zeroes even after field stripping for operator maintenance. I don't mean to ask a stupid question, I'm just asking to make sure someone out there doesn't know something that I'm not aware of before I throw down $500.00 for a new upper.

Thanks for your time,

Brent

Think of it as swapping out lowers, as the sights and barrel are part of the upper receiver assembly.  The zero will stay put.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#3]
what the other's said.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#4]
What the others said.

You'll have ZERO ZERO change.
Ha! I'm so witty sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I do it all the time....

DCM upper, varmint upper, 3 gun upper....   same lower (well, I DO pull the lead out of the buttstock that's in there for HP matches) when using it for the other uppers.

Increased utility, lower total cost....  benefit of modularity
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top