Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/20/2010 5:19:04 AM EDT
I just installed a DPMS lower parts kit in my Spikes lower.
I noticed that the mounting screw for the grip is not a hex key but rather a sloted screw driver type.
Does anyone know if any local places (Lowes, Home Depot, etc...) would have a replacement with a hex key head?
What are the specs on the screw?

Thanks

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:50:02 AM EDT
[#1]
So basically it's a "flat-head-screwdriver-head"?

Because that is what mine is.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:54:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, but I prefer an allen (hex) head.
My son's RRA LPK came with an allen and it was much easier to work with.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:45:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Dang that does sound easier... I hate it cause I can't get the screw driver down in there easy.

And I tried finding the specs for you but I'm at work and I have all that info at home. I got a good link to that has a bunch of info I'll send you if you want.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:06:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!
I did some more searching and found a posting about it.
They said it is a 1/4 - 28  3/4" long.
I'll try Lowes today, hope they have it.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I searched home depot and lowes and came up empty. I looked on DSGarms.com and they have armalite hex head screws it appears for .50 cents a piece or something like that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I searched home depot and lowes and came up empty. I looked on DSGarms.com and they have armalite hex head screws it appears for .50 cents a piece or something like that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

You weren't looking in the right bin. I've picked these up in literally every hardware store I've been in. Including Lowes and Home Depot.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 3:26:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you have an ACE hardware? they normally have a section of specialty screws and other hardware.  I'm sure they would have that size.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Go to Fastenall or Tacoma Screw.  They both have every kind, style, size of screw or bolt you can think of.

Mutt
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Ace even carries 4-40 set screws for the rear take down pin detent spring. My 1/4 - 28 allen head grip screw is 1 inch long. You'll need a long neck allen wrench. 3/16 th's if I remember correctly..
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:25:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks!
I it is a 1/4 - 28  3/4" long.

this is correct. i never have luck with fasteners at lowes. ace may have them. do you have a nut/bolt specialty store near you? I always find what I need at my local specialty store (Floyds). no hair cut, just nuts and bolts. Also, I always chase the grip screw threads with a tap. this cleans out the threads and helps with the screwin.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 8:14:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Try mounting lower upside down in vise and already have the screw started thru the grip hole gravity takes care of the rest.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top