Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2004 10:39:44 AM EDT
I heard someone the other day at the range talking about cleaning their rifles in the millitary with coke/cola.  What the heck was that all about, anybody heard of this before?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
carbonic acid maybe. I heard the same thing for cleaning the barrels on deck of the destoryers. late 60's era.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#2]
i dunno about that, isnt that why carb cleaner was invented?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Coke will work to remove powder fouling. It will probably remove copper and lead fouling if left long enough, but it will also corrode the metal in a non-lined barrel due to the acid content. I don't know what the effect on chrome lining would be.

I've also heard it was used in the '40-60s for cleaning barrels, but suspect that it might be because it was less caustic and hazardous to use than some of the older type bore cleaners that where available. Also, I expect in some places/times, it might have been easier to get Coca-Cola than it was to get bore cleaner.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was used when the M16 was first issued, as they stopped issuing cleaning kits/supplies during that time.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd be leary of any soda pop because the syrup can gum things up if not completely removed.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Works great on car battery posts too. It will eat up a human tooth in less than 24 hours too.(Grade school science project)
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Keep it away from your firearms!

just use the tried and true stuff that's sold in gunstores everywere.

why take chances?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Coke SUGAR = sticky MESS.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I would never get that stuff near my AR, I was just wondering what the hell they were talking about.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...... It will eat up a human tooth in less than 24 hours too.(Grade school science project)

Sure it will:

A tooth left in a glass of Coca-Cola will dissolve overnight

The falicy they dispute is the fact that will happen within 24 hrs and that it will happen to your teeth if you drink too much coke. They don't dispute the fact that a tooth left in coke will soften and dissolve.

We did the same experiment in Jr. High school. We also did it using a nail (carpenters nail, not a finger nail). It took a couple weeks for a tooth to soften and begin to noticably dissolve while the nail took much longer, probably a few months if I remember that far back.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#11]
What are you on......crack ?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

No shit!  Thank you Mr. Helper.

Dang!
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
...... It will eat up a human tooth in less than 24 hours too.(Grade school science project)

Sure it will: href=A tooth left in a glass of Coca-Cola will dissolve overnight

The falicy they dispute is the fact that will happen within 24 hrs and that it will happen to your teeth if you drink too much coke. They don't dispute the fact that a tooth left in coke will soften and dissolve.

We did the same experiment in Jr. High school. We also did it using a nail (carpenters nail, not a finger nail). It took a couple weeks for a tooth to soften and begin to noticably dissolve while the nail took much longer, probably a few months if I remember that far back.

Well falicy or the case of our science teacher stealing the tooth to try and get us to stop drinking pop, there was nothing left of our tooth by the morning of day two. We collected teath from second grade tooth fairy parrents so the teath were pretty much dead any ways.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

No shit!  Thank you Mr. Helper.

You're welcome. Someone had to explain such a complicated topic to you.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I believe the acid is known to break up rust... like if you want to get a rusted nut off a bolt, soak it in coke overnight.

I think its fine for a nut&bolt but why risk it on a gun?  It just cant be good.   IIRC, the Discovery channel show "Mythbusters" completely debunked the coke thing altogether...

- BUCC_Guy
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top