Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 9:47:59 AM EDT
Hey all... Just had my AR-15 out to sight it in (have had it for a long time just never actually sighted it in...now I get back from boot camp and want it perfect) so I go flush, centered, 8/3.... fine, no problem... Try to move to 200 and relize, my rear sight is Flush down on 8/3... in other words it won't go to 8/3-2.... wtf? it was on at 36 yds which should mean that the rear sight is on at 300...but I've never seen this... also the rear sight on my M4 carbine won't go below 6/3.... they are both colts.... what's up with this?

Thanks

-Roth
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#1]
The elevation index is off.  There is a very small setscrew that holds the elevation index to the elevation adjust knob.  To set this, you need to position the elevation index/knob assembly so that you can remove the setscrew, set the elevation index to 8/3 -2, then reinstall the setscrew.  This will likely have you setting it in the correct position, then moving the index/knob to a point where you can reinstall the setscrew.  A slight PITA, but if done carefully, it's not hard.

Carry handle sights are only calibrated to 600m (6/3) on both M4s and M16A4s.  The A2s are 800m (8/3).
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't kow how to provide a "hot link" but the Maryland AR15 Shooters web page site describes this really well and has pics:

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#3]
outstanding, thanks a bunch... I was wondering about this- found it pretty wierd.... Now I can go outshoot my dad lol....

-Roth
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you check this site? I'm still trying to figure out how to make this hot.....

I'm such a bubble-head sometimes.....

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw

HOLY CRAP!!!! I FINALLY DID IT!!!!

Thanks Striker!

Sometimes it's the little things in life......
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top