Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2004 2:49:36 AM EDT
First off I don't want to deal with a two stage trigger. Can anyone suggest a good single stage trigger that someone with decent mechanical ability could install on their own. Thanks in advance, 2200v
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:46:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't understand why you don't want a 2-stage trigger,
but the Rock River 2-stage trigger is superb.
It's a drop-in replacement for the stock trigger,
non-adjustable, and will definitely tighten-up your groups!
N2OGV
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:18:30 AM EDT
[#2]
i'd second that notion.  

please take a 2 stage out for a try before you make decisions.  the 2 stage is wonderful.  the alternative is a $350 jewell.  you can also have a gunsmith do a nice trigger job on your stock unit, but the price is going to be about the same as the 2 stage.  

each to his own.  peace to all americans on this hallowed day.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

the alternative is a $350 jewell.  you can also have a gunsmith do a nice trigger job on your stock unit, but the price is going to be about the same as the 2 stage.  

each to his own.  peace to all americans on this hallowed day.  

Where did you see a Jewell for $350? You have got to be kidding. They sell new for $175 and I have seen them used for around $125 or so.

Watch out for your neighborhood shade tree gunsmith doing a trigger job on the AR trigger. Unless they are familiar with it and know how to do it correctly, you can end up with an unsafe trigger and a pile of junk.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#4]
RRA 2-stage.  For the money, you wont find a finer trigger.  I cant imagine why you wouldnt want a 2-stage???
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
RRA 2-stage.  For the money, you wont find a finer trigger.  I cant imagine why you wouldnt want a 2-stage???

Because we are all different, I also prefer a single state trigger. Just put in a Chip Mc Cormick drop in single stage in my just completed build. It has an 18" SS 1x10  twist barrel turned down to .820 under the handguards and frozen.  I have a SS PacNor 18" SPR contour 1x10 barrel on order for another build, this one for use with a suppressor. These suit my purposes.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I strongly recommend the Accuracy Speaks FCG. It's basically a stock set-up but with improved geometry. It requires some file, stone-and-try fitting to get it just the way you want it. The instructions are clear enough that even I can follow them. However, once it's set, it's set forever. There are no adjustment screws to worry about. Not having adjustment screws means that you are going to get a tiny bit of overtravel. However, unlike the adjustables, it's an arrangement you wouldn't hesitate to carry into a fight. It absolutely will work every damned time.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:21:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I like the single stage better myself and I also have an Accruacy Speaks.  It's great, same as Mil Spec except all the surfaces are polished and have tighter tolerances.  No creep and light pull.  

For fast CQB 3-gun matches or SHTF you can't beat a single stage.

Edited to add:  No screws to adjust.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I prefer the singe stage trigger myself.  But, my shooting background comes from match bolt guns.

I personally like the JP trigger.  I installed one in my Colt preban over 1850 rds ago and have never had a problem.  Very crisp and fully adjustable.  I hear a lot of people complain about the adjustment screws and the "possiblity" of a malfunction.  But, you know... I've never heard of anyone who's actually had a problem.  Just follow the instructions and use a little loc-tite.

FWIW, I plan to try the McCormick match trigger in the very near future.

-Red-
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#9]
My vote goes to the JP Trigger as well...   Easy to adjust, Easy to install, Excellent instructions, Good price too... You will save some money over that '$350 Jewell?' hIt will only take a few minutes longer and it will make you feel better knowing they won't move.
The Lock-Tite is not required but it can't hurt anything...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Is a 50 ounce "let off" normal with an untuned RRA NM trigger?

Every safety test is passed, and the new trigger pull is really sweet...but you can hardly feel the first stage weight, even while the trigger is moving rearward, then before you can hardly sense the extra weight, the 2nd stage drops the hammer.  It may be I am  still just too used to the HEAVY pull I had before.

For sure, it is way too light to be considered a NM LEGAL trigger(4.5# MINIMUM).  Mine is a varminter so a 3# trigger makes sense, but I would be a little concerned if it was on a serious "social" rifle.

Paladin
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Every safety test is passed, and the new trigger pull is really sweet...but you can hardly feel the first stage weight, even while the trigger is moving rearward, then before you can hardly sense the extra weight, the 2nd stage drops the hammer.  It may be I am  still just too used to the HEAVY pull I had before.

For sure, it is way too light to be considered a NM LEGAL trigger(4.5# MINIMUM).  Mine is a varminter so a 3# trigger makes sense, but I would be a little concerned if it was on a serious "social" rifle.

Paladin

Sounds like you got a NICE one.  Both of my RRA triggers measure out right at 4 to 4.5 lbs.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Blue loctite.  I'll confirm Redhook's experiences with the JP trigger as mine are the same.

Quoted:
I prefer the singe stage trigger myself.  But, my shooting background comes from match bolt guns.

I personally like the JP trigger.  I installed one in my Colt preban over 1850 rds ago and have never had a problem.  Very crisp and fully adjustable.  I hear a lot of people complain about the adjustment screws and the "possiblity" of a malfunction.  But, you know... I've never heard of anyone who's actually had a problem.  Just follow the instructions and use a little loc-tite.

-Red-

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Paladin

Sounds like you got a NICE one.  Both of my RRA triggers measure out right at 4 to 4.5 lbs.

Varmint RRA guns are set with lighter 2 stages at the factory.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Accuracy Speaks, as mentioned before, is a great single stage.  McCormick also has the new drop-in trigger packs.  These are self contained and don't require gunsmithing of any kind and are completely drop-in.  They come in both single stage and two stage.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I am fairly new to this forum and until recently, own mostly handguns...  

Can someone please explain to me exactly how a two stage trigger works, and how it would benefit an autoloading rifle such as the AR-15?

Thanks in advance...

-JMS
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I am fairly new to this forum and until recently, own mostly handguns...  

Can someone please explain to me exactly how a two stage trigger works, and how it would benefit an autoloading rifle such as the AR-15?

Thanks in advance...

-JMS

A properly built AR15 is just as accurate as a properly made bolt action.  A tuned trigger or a two-stage trigger just helps get the maximum potential out of the rifle's inherent accuracy.

A two-stage has just that, two stages:  a heavier initial pull for take-up and a light, crisp break.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:46:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Blue loctite.  I'll confirm Redhook's experiences with the JP trigger as mine are the same.

Quoted:

-Red-

My experience with JP as well. I used red loctite on mine. I have several buddies that use JP with no problems in many rounds. If either of the set screws comes loose (which I've never heard of happening to properly installed screws) you're just going back closer to a stock trigger with pre and overtravel. I could see the screws causing havoc if they were floating around loose in the lower, but there again, have never heard of that actually happening.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top