Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 11:28:53 AM EDT
I haven't go a chance to shoot my new RRA yet :(   I was wondering how the dust cover worked?

When I pull the bolt back it just plops open and stays open.

I thought the way it was supposed to work, was it opened just enough to let the spent casing out
and then close again.

Does it  just  stay open during firing and then you close it shut with your hand when you are done?

Thanks for info

frank
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#1]
The dust cover pops open by the bolt carrier moving rearward or forward, but once open, it has to be manually closed.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I haven't go a chance to shoot my new RRA yet :(   I was wondering how the dust cover worked?

I thought the way it was supposed to work, was it opened just enough to let the spent casing out
and then close again.

Does it  just  stay open during firing and then you close it shut with your hand when you are done?

Thanks for info

frank

It is performing just as it should, in downtime flip the dust cover back up.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#3]
You've got the right idea...

While it would be cool for it to open just enough to let the spent casing eject,
I think it would increase the likelyhood of it getting jammed up if it didn't clear perfectly.

Does it just stay open during firing and then you close it shut with your hand when you are done?

Pretty much!
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#4]
this is the real world, not the video game world
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm still waiting for the video game that makes people police their brass when they are in training mode.  

I can't say much though at one time I thought the forward assist was used to charge an Ar.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:25:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm still waiting for the video game that makes people police their brass when they are in training mode.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

83% of brass collected, game over, try again?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or a DS that rods your weapon when exiting the range.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

and then close again.

Thanks for info

frank

ManiacRat461
I can't say much though at one time I thought the forward assist was used to charge an Ar.

You guys have been playing too much CounterStrike...ever wonder why all the real ARs look backwards?  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and then close again.

Thanks for info

frank

ManiacRat461

You guys have been playing too much CounterStrike...ever wonder why all the real ARs look backwards?  

What the hell is counterstrike?

I got 3 real Ar's and am well aware of what they look like.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Is it a video game for playstation?  I think it would be cool to play a game that let
you use an Ar-15 or M-16
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I haven't go a chance to shoot my new RRA yet ...

With all due respect, please read your owners manual before you shoot that RRA.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and then close again.

Thanks for info

frank

ManiacRat461

You guys have been playing too much CounterStrike...ever wonder why all the real ARs look backwards?  hr

What the hell is counterstrike? hat

CounterStrike's one of the more popular mindless twitch-oriented PC games. You charge the M4 by yanking on the forward assist (which is on the left side) and the dustcover flops open and closed every time you fire. The bolt action rifles are all left handed, but all the players are right handed...
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and then close again.

Thanks for info

frank

ManiacRat461

CounterStrike's one of the more popular mindless twitch-oriented PC games. You charge the M4 by yanking on the forward assist (which is on the left side) and the dustcover flops open and closed every time you fire. The bolt action rifles are all left handed, but all the players are right handed...

Oh ok, now I understand the joke. The last video game I played with any interest was Mario Bros. when I was 7 or 8 so I figured it was but wasn't sure.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Somebody has been playing too much Counter-Strike.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and then close again.

Thanks for info

frank

ManiacRat461

The M4 model in CS is just downright hilarious.  I replaced all of mine with custom ones.

I now use an M4 with RAS rails and covers, and a A3 carry handle.  Correct animations as well.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#18]

With all due respect, please read your owners manual before you shoot that RRA.

Mr Mojo, With all due respect, I HAVE read the whole manual.

No where does it say how it works while fireing the rifle. It just says to keep it closed to keep
dirt out.

Thanks to the others who answered my simple question.

Frank
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buddy of my was trying to pull the foward assist to load a round instead of the charging andle.. playing too much CS
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buddy of my was trying to pull the foward assist to load a round instead of the charging andle.. playing too much CS

I don't know where on earth I got the thought in my head. Probably just assumed. The only time I had seen an Ar-15 was in a movie until I was 12 or 13 I guess. On film you can't really tell there is a charging handle and since the forward assist is on the side and charging handles are on the side of most weapons like it, well you get the idea.  I did figure out otherwise though the first time I was around one/shot one and thus began the true addiction unfortunately it would be almost 10 years before I actually was able to buy one, then two, then three and then some receivers. Now I got my little sister addicted.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top