Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 2:16:02 PM EDT
I have been looking at the ARMS SIR #50.  Is there any reason to go with the civilian version vs. military version other than easier installation?  Any advantages to either one?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have been looking at the ARMS SIR #50.  Is there any reason to go with the civilian version vs. military version other than easier installation?  Any advantages to either one?

That about covers it. Just easy on easy off if needed. No alterations.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#2]
It is very slightly lighter.  I'd go with a Vltor CAS-V, myself, having tried all three of the models mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I have this model SIR rail in the "C" configuration and I love it so far.
I was initially concerned about weight, but it is actually quite light, to me anyways.
The reason I went with the C model was because

a) I found it for cheap brand new on ebay
b) it is lighter than the M model yet attaches identically so it is just as sturdy
c) it allows you to interchange with the standard plastic forearm grip at will (the M model requires the removal of the delta ring ie. cut it off or remove barrel)
d) I heard military operators ironically prefer the C model over the M
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#4]
With the release of so many other rail systems, what does a SIR get you aside from an offset rail and sticker shock?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
With the release of so many other rail systems, what does a SIR get you aside from an offset rail and sticker shock?

Some like the extra weight benefits.   You know, better workout after a day at the range.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

More sticker shock!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Here we go again ......
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#8]
The SIR is an inferior system, IMHO. It needs to be loc tited, requires ARMS mounts, the plastic lower tends to flex, its heavy, etc.

I like the LaRue FF rail a lot. Or DD if you dont use a VFG and want it to be thin.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:54:32 AM EDT
[#9]
i never had any issues with the sir until i tried mounting a light to it.

too far to hit with the thumb so a tape switch was required, i didnt lik the tape switch setup.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:21:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Doesn't the military version have a built-in PAQ/PEQ mount?

If so, and you don't have that hardware, the front 3"-4" of the top rail is useless.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:47:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:37:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the military version #50M on my Rock River Arms.  The military version requires more work to put on but looks much cleaner.  I like mine and didn't mind shelling over the extra over other rails.  I've got an Eotech mounted on the top rail and my Surefire X200 which I switch back and forth from my Kimber TLE RL.  I like it a lot and it is the most bad ass looking rail out there in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

www.charlesrknight.com/Gallery/Knight/Prehistoric/FMNH/CK5T.jpg

Aaaahhhh....There it is!

I have a SIR 46C and I love it. Never had any issues with it. That said, I would suggest some of the offerings from LaRue, Troy, and DD over it for any real world uses. I have KAC and DD on my other weapons as well as YHM. I am looking at the POF mid FF rail for a SBR build. They seem solid and work well with the Troy front and rear flod down BUISs.

SIRs are old and are getting left behind by far better designs out there. More RAS models are out every few months so you have a wealth of offerings to choose from. If you want the SIR, try to find it CHEAP as possible. Good luck, stay safe...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top