Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2015 11:12:55 AM EDT
i've looked and searched the internet. here i am, which one? advantages and disadvantages
im pondering the thought of an AK,but liking the looks of the AR. thanks!
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#1]
You are really going to need to do some soul searching. I'm assuming you want either an AR or AK in 7.62x39?  

https://www.cmmginc.com/product-category/rifles/7-62x39/
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#2]
IMHO
With so many different ak variants available at a great price I don't see a reason to buy/build x39 ar15 (even though sometimes I got this itch).
Too many cases of reliability issues.  
I got 4 different x39 rifles: sks, saiga, aes10 and pap. And never experienced any malfunction yet.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I built an AR47 because it's too hard to build an AK47.  

Maybe one day...
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're set on 7.62x39 then get an AK. Too many parts reliability issues, specifically magazines and bolts.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Advantages: accuracy, ease of scope mounting, changing parts/modularity, longer sight radius with fixed sights if you want, different muzzle attachments, ease of trigger upgrades, using AR standard lower you may already have
Disadvantages: getting it running if you build it yourself, $20 reliable mags, $10 extended firing pin for reliability with hard primers, possible bolt breakage,
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#6]
There's always the hybrids as I like to call them like Rock River's LAR-47, that is a modified AR made to take AK magazines. Also there's Sigs 556r which isn't an AR but it was also built to take AK magazines as well as the PTR-32 which a H&K clone in 7.62x39. There's always the Mini-Thirty, it doesn't take AK magazines, but I've heard of them being reliable.
As the mag is the heart of reliable operation and the AK mag, the beast that it is, is so reliable, some manufacturers felt the need to build the rifle around the AK mag.
It's somewhat difficult to get a LAR-47 or Sig 556r, and they're rather expensive as well. But when I considered a rifle in 7.62x39 that wasn't an AK, I veered away from traditional AR's, I've just heard too many reliability issues about them.
But here's a list of the current non-AK 7.62x39 rifles available that I've found. Had I not already owned a SLR-95 I probably would've went with one of the following options as they are more optic friendly than the AK. But to get a GOOD AK (oxymoron), your going to pay almost as much as what the following options cost, aside from the Mini.
LAR-47

CMMG MK 47 T Mutant

Sig 556r

Sig 556Xi 7.62x39

Ruger Mini-Thirty

PTR-32
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...but to get a GOOD AK (oxymoron), your going to pay almost as much as what the following options cost, aside from the Mini.
[/url]
View Quote

Not true. The 2013 and up Wasr 10's are good to go and retail for $549-$599 all day every day. Cugir's quality control and attention to detail, fit and finish are LIGHT YEARS ahead of where they were before with the 10/63's, and the current crop of Wasr's are approaching Arsenal quality IMO. Npaps are also still decent options, though probably not quite as good overall as a Wasr, but their fit and finish and some would also say accuracy are arguably superior to the Wasr.

Saiga's can be had for $550 or less if you shop around as well. A basic conversion will only add about $120 to the overall cost if you DIY, and a full conversion can be done for around $200-$300 still if you DIY. There's also the option of a VZ-2008, or for a bit more the VZ58 if you want something a little different from an Ak but still piston driven and shoots 7.62x39.

Vepr's imo are a great deal as well. Vepr's go for $599-$699 depending on where you look, and while heavier than other options they have arguably the best overall fit and finish and feel of any factory AK out there. Vepr's require some basic 922 conversion stuff if you want to run hi cap mags, but are typically more accurate since they use heavy barrels, and come with some really nice factory wood furniture. For a hunting gun or range gun, they're great options. For a shtf gun, stick with a Wasr or Arsenal, or build up a Saiga.

By the way, I own two self converted Saiga's, an Arsenal Slr-107fr, a Vepr 12, VZ-2008, and an Npap. Also own and have built several Ar's as well.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#8]
My definition of GOOD is obviously different than yours, I consider the milled receiver SLR-95 series some of the best AK's made and they're not cheap, and it's still just an AK at the end of the day. But they're definitely not < $750 even if you look far and wide and long enough, still cheaper than the alternatives I listed, but still a bit of coin.
I feel the AK is limited in quality upgrades and it's awkward when it is done. The AR is much more adaptable to add accessories to IMO.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Get both.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I have 2 ARs in 7.62x39, a WASR, a vz2008 and just picked up a PTR32. All great rifles but different.
An AR in 7.62x39 with hybrid mags might run fine right out of the box or might need some adjustments, not difficult to do and this forum has all the answers. My top recommendation for a 7.62x39 rifle. Great ergonomics and optic choices.
AK will work right out of the box, plenty of cheap mag choices. And drums. I saw Tapco mags new for seven bucks each, super cheap. My WASR is the least accurate of all my 7.62x39 rifles.
VZ2008 is (or was) cheap, light, low recoil and great accuracy. Very little aftermarket support.
PTR32 is heavy but accurate, VERY low recoil. Takes most but not all AK mags.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#11]
If accuracy is main goal why bother with x39 round?
IMHO ak platform main advantage is reliability. Seems like ar47 destroys very essence of it. I never looked specifically for issues threads but amount of those I see every day makes me a firm believer - x39 for ak only.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#12]
There are actually accurate AKs out there.  That isn't a serious production criteria, at least from an AR-centric point of view, but it can happen.  My Chinese-made Type 56S will do quite well at 100 yards with good ammunition (Winchester, Federal, Hanson), and reasonably well with steel cased stuff.  If it was easier to scope the thing, I'm sure it would prove to be more accurate than I am.

There are some things about the AK design that make it harder to be accurate with, such as the recoil angle.  Since the stock is below the line of recoil, there's muzzle rise with each round fired.  The AKM muzzle device, which directs muzzle gasses upward, helps a bit, but only a bit.  Another "feature" is the location of the rear sight - it is just far enough away from the shooter to be in the eye's "transition zone" between near focus and far focus, so it is harder to get a decent sight picture.  And the heavy bolt carrier - with a heavy piston on its front end - rocks the gun a lot and makes follow up shots harder.

I'll keep my AK, and use it for 7.62X39.  But I have a 5.45X39 upper, and that caliber isn't nearly the compatibility issue that 7.62X39 is.  It takes a slightly tweaked magazine to make it run.  That's it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My definition of GOOD is obviously different than yours, I consider the milled receiver SLR-95 series some of the best AK's made and they're not cheap, and it's still just an AK at the end of the day. But they're definitely not < $750 even if you look far and wide and long enough, still cheaper than the alternatives I listed, but still a bit of coin.
I feel the AK is limited in quality upgrades and it's awkward when it is done. The AR is much more adaptable to add accessories to IMO.
View Quote

Milled AK's are nice, but suggesting that you have to spend $1k+ and step up to a milled receiver to get a decent AK is ludicrous.

An Ak will never be an AR, and no matter how many accessories and crap people throw on one will not turn it into one either. Ak's walk their own path, but with today's aftermarket, I also disagree with your statement about AK's having limited quality upgrade that are awkward when done.
With Magpul, ALG, RS Regulate, even Zentico, and other quality accessory and part manufacturer's stepping up to the plate, AK's can be just as "adaptable" as AR's. We've got padded side folding magpul stocks, and $50 ALG triggers that rival the best the AR world has to offer for a fraction of the price available right now, not to mention several affordable scope mounting options like RS Regulate and TWS. You can even add peep sights and double your sight radius should you choose no problem.

I don't see anything "awkward" at all regarding AK upgrades or aftermarket whatsoever...not even really sure where you're getting that from. AK's can be every bit as ergonomic as you want them to, and will still be inherently more reliable than AR's (especially 7.62x39 AR's).

You could take any $550 Wasr, keep the Tapco G2 or swap in an Alg trigger, RS mount and optic of your choice, sling, and swap out the stock, grip, muzzle device, and handguard should you choose to something that suits you best (or leave it as is as it's perfectly fine IMO)...and that would be all the fighting rifle a man would ever need. You may WANT a fancy milled receiver or name brand AK that costs twice as much, but you certainly don't "need" it. That money could be better spent on ammo, mags, and training.

The AR world is rife with fads and monkey see monkey do mentality, but don't sleep on AK's because there's not as much useless tactical operator high speed low drag high priced crap available for it compared to the AR.

To the OP...if you're building a range/fun gun, there's nothing wrong with a 7.62 AR, I plan on building one myself one day just for fun. If you're looking for a serious hunting/shtf/self defense rifle that you plan on using more than just for dicking around at the range with shooting groups and impressing your friends, the AK is the way to go.

Now a 5.45x39 AR...that's more interesting
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Another option is to get an AR in 6.8spc, you gain accuracy, range and power downrange. My only two AR's are in 6.8spc, can't really see the need for 7.62x39 except for ammo availability. As far as unrivaled AK reliability, I have >1k rounds through each AR without a single malf. That's not to say round 1,001 could't be the bad one, but it could be the same for either AK.
The reasons I still have the AK's are that I bought one in 2000 for $389 and I have a bunch of 20 round mags for it, they have been utterly reliable, relatively compact, simple to operate, hard hitting and my daughter loves it.
I figure since ammo for 6.8 isn't as cheap and available as 7.62x39 I'll keep the AK's around if for no other reason.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#15]
My other ar are Grendel, 9mm and Beowulf

I'll tell you ar15 in Beowulf 50 makes much more sense even accuracy wise. Not an economy choice though.
100 yards 5 shots group.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:42:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If accuracy is main goal why bother with x39 round?
IMHO ak platform main advantage is reliability. Seems like ar47 destroys very essence of it. I never looked specifically for issues threads but amount of those I see every day makes me a firm believer - x39 for ak only.
View Quote

My radical firearms 16" upper has run great with no mods except I had 2 acs mags that needed ground down at the front.  New cpd 30 rounders work right out of the box.  ACS took 5 min with a dremel to run %100.  With cheap wolf ammo its will shoot circles around any ak I have ever shot.  There may be some AK's that are just as accurate but I haven't shot them.  I went with a AR because I wanted a gun I can easily mount optics on and I can have a 223 with just a upper.  My radical firearms upper + psa complete lower was 522 including shipping and FFL fees.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#17]
If I were in this boat (And I sorta am), I'd take something like the LAR-47, or preferably the MK47, lightyears before a regular 7.62x39mm AR.

Having both an AR in 5.56 and an AK in 7.62, I really like the 7.62mm round, but the AK is something of an ergonomic mess. The sights suck, the safety sucks, and the layout of the rifle means you've got more shot-to-shot recoil for no real good reason.

That said, you look at the current crop of 7.62x39mm ARs, and while you have vastly improved ergos of the AR, and superior accuracy to the AK, even with crappy ammo, you have to contend with crappy magazines and a greatly increased chance of having a bolt issue, along with a myriad of other issues caused by shoehorning the round into a receiver never designed for the geometry of it.

So then you have the hybrid rifles, like the LAR-47 and MK47. They keep the two best parts of the AK system, the ammo and the magazines, and blend them with a slightly upscaled (or the the MK47's case, downscaled from the AR10) AR receivers. Although admittedly probably the most expensive options for having a 7.62x39mm AR pattern gun, I personally feel that this is the best route to go, even with the more-or-less proprietary receivers & bolt. The magazines are a large part of the AK's reliability (the other large part being that they are beyond overgassed; try looking at the port sizes on an AK vs an AR sometime, standard AKM gas port is like 0.1285"; of the three 7.62 DI AR's that I've used/examined, 2/3 settled on a 0.082" gas port, the third needed a slightly larger port for reliable operation, haven't had a chance to examine any piston ARs in 7.62x39). You can literally drive tent stakes with a loaded steel AK mag and still have it fire just fine. You could probably drive tent stakes with an unloaded one, it'd just take longer.

So anyway, long-winded crap aside, my personal answer to the question, after having experience behind both an AR and an AK, is to get an AR that was specifically designed around the geometry & magazines of the AKM; essentially this means I'm choosing between either the LAR-47 or the MK47. Between the two, I think I'd rather have the MK47, although I'll be getting rid of the Keymod rail immediately and replacing it with something else.

If KAC hadn't had some kind of brain fart and released a semi-auto SR47 way back in 2002, we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion; the answer would've automatically been to get the KAC. Shame that never happened, even in the 13 years since then.

Although I wouldn't be at all surprised if my MK47 ended up with a free-float quad rail and a fixed rail-mounted AR style front sight. Maybe even a 7.62x39mm optimized ACOG, like the TA33A-13 3x30mm. Then one would have a really supreme preforming little carbine.

KAC definitely had something with the design of the SR-47. It really is a shame they never capitalized on it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#18]

]you have to contend with crappy magazines[/b][/b] and a greatly increased chance of having a bolt issue, along with a myriad of other issues caused by shoehorning the round into a receiver never designed for the geometry of it.  As I said in a earlier post the new CPD mags run right out of the box They are 17 bucks a piece.  The ASC mags run with a little work, for me that takes care of the mag issue.  The bolt is another issue but you can either pony up for a LMT bolt (180 bucks) or have a couple of spares.  I keep a extra bolt on me if I need to replace it 10 minutes and I am back up and running.  The extra 600 bucks you are going to spend on the hybrid system's is going to take a long time to recoup even if you replace a bolt every 1000 rounds and you wouldn't be replacing the lmt bolt nearly that often.  But to me the biggest problem with the hybrid's is the specialized parts.  Something breaks its big bucks and won't be found off the shelf.  I like the fact I can throw any upper on my 7.62 if it comes to it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#19]
With the advent on newer and better parts, you can build an ar/ak in no time and they are accurate to boot. I took my 10.5in radical firearms barreled ar/ak to the range and proceeded to shoot 2 to 3 in groups with wolf off of a piece of wood with a 1x6 scope. I slapped mine together for next to nothing except for making sure I got the reliability of a superior bolt. I bought a Cason eng bolt which was almost the cost of the rest of the upper. If you want to make sure it runs, buy you a top end bolt like the Cason or the LMT and don't dick around with something that is gonna break. The bolt is the most likely part to fail on the ar/ak. It costs more up front but you will have less headaches down the road. A couple of ASC or CProducts mags and you are ready to go. There are threads all over ar15 about problems with the ar/ak and most of them are mag or bolt related. Get the right parts and keep on truckin. Not saying mine won't have problems but as of yet, I have not had anything go wrong with mine so far. Only 500-600 rounds down the pipe at this time but I am not Divenchy with any build. I only know how to slap them together. If I can put one together that shoots, anybody can.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Just finished putting together my 7.62x39 AR and no issues right out of the bag my friends.
A cheap Anderson lower with a CMMG LPK and a ALG trigger group..Ok the trigger is good for Mil spec.
A bare NIB no name bolt carrier with a JSE bolt and enhanced firing pin.
C-Products 30 round mag...filled up full and dumped the whole mag on the first outing, without a single failure
of any kind.
100 yds at the range well within 1 MOA with a Bushnell 3-9x40
with a Radical on sale barrel.

All this on the cheap and good to go even after 600 plus rounds of Silver Bear and Tula Ammo

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#21]
If you want AK-ish ballistics and AR accuracy why not go with a .300 BLK or better yet
for even better ballistics (at AK ranges) you can go with the 7.62X40 WT...JMHO.

Its a lot cheaper to build/buy a upper in one of the above calibers w/o the Issues Involved
with a x39 in a AR...

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Look into the 300BLK as you get all the 7.62 bullet goodness with only a change of the barrel and without any of the 7.62X39 troubles when going for an AR. Now if you want to stick with the 7.62X39 the best place for that is in an AK as you get all the reliability that comes with the commie cartridge.

If accuracy is your concern and that is why you want to go with an AR variant once again look into the 300BLK as it has a lot more accurate rounds that are made for it than the 7.62X39. With the 300BLK there is no need to change anything but the barrel. This means it uses standard GI magazines that can be had for under $10 and all the internal parts are made for the round it is shooting so you will never have to worry about your bolt breaking or any other malfunctions from parts that are not standard to the AR. With the 7.62X39 AR you have to change or modify the lower, special AR mags to get it to run right, modified bolt that leaves it prone to breakage because of the large case diameter and a new barrel.

Plus as a bonus if you ever plan on putting a suppressor on your rifle the 300BLK can run 240gr+ subsonics with just as much ease as they run supersonics.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:27:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you want AK-ish ballistics and AR accuracy why not go with a .300 BLK or better yet
for even better ballistics (at AK ranges) you can go with the 7.62X40 WT...JMHO.

Its a lot cheaper to build/buy a upper in one of the above calibers w/o the Issues Involved
with a x39 in a AR...

Good luck.
View Quote

For me, I didn't want to have to go through the reloading part. My ar/ak is plenty accurate to 200 yards. Is it as accurate as a 300 black, no but I also pay 225.00/ case to my door. No way you will ever get that on 300 black in the near future anyways. I could load it but takes to much of my time. Plus, I would feel like I had to try and find every case that I shot, more time involved.  I have not had one issue with my ar/ak and mine was put together on the cheap. 59.00 barrel, 99 dollar seekins rail and the most expensive part, the bolt. Cason eng was 170.00 to the house. Already had the upper and the sbr lower. Bought a 30 dollar gas block. Splurged on a trifecta mount for my saker and it runs like a sewing machine. About 420 bucks for the whole thing.
I just checked on 300 black prices, $200/500 with 147gr fmj, too rich for my blood. It would be nice if I could get the x39 as quiet as the 300 black out of my saker. I know it's not gonna happen but that would be nice.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:14:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Im with you rundm ...Its all about gettin by on the cheap. If you like too shoot all the tome.
I shoot my 7.62x39 almost every weekend with nice 100 yd groupings.
Its a toss up with my 300 BLK 16 inch at 100 and definitely better at 200 like you said.
Yes I reload my 300 however sure like not picking up every casing like I do with Blackout ammo.
Its was built on the cheep to shoot on the cheap.
I have many more expensive guns, but enjoy shooting x39 a hell of a lot more and spending less.
Stick to what the guys at AR15 have to say to keep it reliable with ASC and C prod mags and
you cant go wrong.
I do use a Spikes heavy buffer but dont think that matters too much..runs great anyway without a hickup.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 4:40:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

For me, I didn't want to have to go through the reloading part. My ar/ak is plenty accurate to 200 yards. Is it as accurate as a 300 black, no but I also pay 225.00/ case to my door. No way you will ever get that on 300 black in the near future anyways. I could load it but takes to much of my time. Plus, I would feel like I had to try and find every case that I shot, more time involved.  I have not had one issue with my ar/ak and mine was put together on the cheap. 59.00 barrel, 99 dollar seekins rail and the most expensive part, the bolt. Cason eng was 170.00 to the house. Already had the upper and the sbr lower. Bought a 30 dollar gas block. Splurged on a trifecta mount for my saker and it runs like a sewing machine. About 420 bucks for the whole thing.
I just checked on 300 black prices, $200/500 with 147gr fmj, too rich for my blood. It would be nice if I could get the x39 as quiet as the 300 black out of my saker. I know it's not gonna happen but that would be nice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

with a x39 in a AR...

Good luck.

^^This^^ I was in the same boat. I have an AK and chose to build a 7.62x39 AR because its ammo I already buy/have. I thought of a 300-BO but realized I didn't want another caliber bullet. Another reason is 7.62x39 tulammo here where I live (HI) cost around $6.50-$8.00 a box of 20 while 300BO is double that.  Im one of the lucky ones I guess but the parts I picked to build my 7.62 AR is nothing special and it runs like a champ. I ran 120rds of tula using CPD mags one after the other without a single jam. I got around 500rds through the barrel and happy with it so far. I say to the OP if you want a 7.62 AR do a little more research. take note on what parts work and you'll be ok or you could just get both.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:17:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Look into the 300BLK as you get all the 7.62 bullet goodness with only a change of the barrel and without any of the 7.62X39 troubles when going for an AR. Now if you want to stick with the 7.62X39 the best place for that is in an AK as you get all the reliability that comes with the commie cartridge. Except no one I know swaps barrels and most don't swap mags, most people have a complete upper and seperate mags.  So there is no saving and ammo for the blackout is 3x as much.  

If accuracy is your concern and that is why you want to go with an AR variant once again look into the 300BLK as it has a lot more accurate rounds that are made for it than the 7.62X39. With the 300BLK there is no need to change anything but the barrel. This means it uses standard GI magazines that can be had for under $10 and all the internal parts are made for the round it is shooting so you will never have to worry about your bolt breaking or any other malfunctions from parts that are not standard to the AR. With the 7.62X39 AR you have to change or modify the lower, special AR mags to get it to run right, modified bolt that leaves it prone to breakage because of the large case diameter and a new barrel.   You don't have to touch the lower, mags, bolt and firing pin and of course barrel.  The extra cost is quickly made up in the cost of ammo.  Also you can buy brass cased 7.62x39 if you want thats just as accurate as 300 blackout.  Sellor and bellot ammo is very accurate in my gun, cost 12.00 a box and runs a 123 grain bullet at 2400 fps, there is no blackout load that can touch that.  Prvi ammo is 10 bucks a box.

Plus as a bonus if you ever plan on putting a suppressor on your rifle the 300BLK can run 240gr+ subsonics with just as much ease as they run supersonics.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Look into the 300BLK as you get all the 7.62 bullet goodness with only a change of the barrel and without any of the 7.62X39 troubles when going for an AR. Now if you want to stick with the 7.62X39 the best place for that is in an AK as you get all the reliability that comes with the commie cartridge.

If accuracy is your concern and that is why you want to go with an AR variant once again look into the 300BLK as it has a lot more accurate rounds that are made for it than the 7.62X39. With the 300BLK there is no need to change anything but the barrel. This means it uses standard GI magazines that can be had for under $10 and all the internal parts are made for the round it is shooting so you will never have to worry about your bolt breaking or any other malfunctions from parts that are not standard to the AR. With the 7.62X39 AR you have to change or modify the lower, special AR mags to get it to run right, modified bolt that leaves it prone to breakage because of the large case diameter and a new barrel.

View Quote

What do you have to modify in the lower?  because I have 2 7.62X39 uppers that run just fine on standard AR lowers.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#28]

Great thing about the 7.62x39 is you can shoot the cheap stuff at the range and run better ammo when hunting or for home defense.  The European brands (fiocchi, sellor and bellot, prvi) seem to be a little hotter than american ammo and are cheaper.  Or you can reload using 308 bullets and get the same thing as the 300 blackout only 150 fps faster.  I have yet to see a american made 7.62x39 barrel that won't shoot 308 bullets well.(I have only tested a couple but all shoot 308 bullets well)  Only time 308 bullets seem not to work is if you don't have the correct dies(many come with a 308 and 310 set) or using a barrel that isn't 310.  Many ak's and sks's tend to be closer to 311 or 312 barrel's and those won't shoot 308 bullets almost all american made barrels(and those made in europe cz and sig) use 310 barrels.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Look into the 300BLK as you get all the 7.62 bullet goodness with only a change of the barrel and without any of the 7.62X39 troubles when going for an AR. Now if you want to stick with the 7.62X39 the best place for that is in an AK as you get all the reliability that comes with the commie cartridge. Except no one I know swaps barrels and most don't swap mags, most people have a complete upper and seperate mags.  So there is no saving and ammo for the blackout is 3x as much.  

If accuracy is your concern and that is why you want to go with an AR variant once again look into the 300BLK as it has a lot more accurate rounds that are made for it than the 7.62X39. With the 300BLK there is no need to change anything but the barrel. This means it uses standard GI magazines that can be had for under $10 and all the internal parts are made for the round it is shooting so you will never have to worry about your bolt breaking or any other malfunctions from parts that are not standard to the AR. With the 7.62X39 AR you have to change or modify the lower, special AR mags to get it to run right, modified bolt that leaves it prone to breakage because of the large case diameter and a new barrel.   You don't have to touch the lower, mags, bolt and firing pin and of course barrel.  The extra cost is quickly made up in the cost of ammo.  Also you can buy brass cased 7.62x39 if you want thats just as accurate as 300 blackout.  Sellor and bellot ammo is very accurate in my gun, cost 12.00 a box and runs a 123 grain bullet at 2400 fps, there is no blackout load that can touch that.  Prvi ammo is 10 bucks a box.

Ok so let me get this straight you are telling me you can use standard AK magazines in a Standard AR Lower? Here I'll save you the time to answer: No you can't!

You can use standard AK magazines in a highly modified AR lower? Yes!

You can use special AK magazines designed for an AR in a standard AR lower? Yes.

You can use a standard AR bolt to shoot your AK round? No you can't! You will need a special bolt to use in the AR.

As I said in my previous post you either need special AK magazines that are twice as expensive as the standard AR and don't work nearly as well or you have to use a modified AR lower like RRA to use standard AK mags. You will also need a bolt that is specifically designed for the 7.62X39 and they are prone to breakage because you are trying to jam a casing that is wider than the 5.56 cartridge and you have to shave metal off the bolt which makes it thinner and less strong than a standard AR bolt. Of course you also need a barrel change.

Now when it comes to ammo the AK can't be beat as the prices for the steel cased crap ammo is half as much as the brass cased 300BLK ammo. But when it comes to brass cased AK ammo the 300BLK is just as competitive in pricing and if you want to talk hunting ammo the 300BLK has a lot more variety at cheaper prices than that of the 7.62X39.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Great thing about the 7.62x39 is you can shoot the cheap stuff at the range and run better ammo when hunting or for home defense.  The European brands (fiocchi, sellor and bellot, prvi) seem to be a little hotter than american ammo and are cheaper.  Or you can reload using 308 bullets and get the same thing as the 300 blackout only 150 fps faster.  I have yet to see a american made 7.62x39 barrel that won't shoot 308 bullets well.(I have only tested a couple but all shoot 308 bullets well)  Only time 308 bullets seem not to work is if you don't have the correct dies(many come with a 308 and 310 set) or using a barrel that isn't 310.  Many ak's and sks's tend to be closer to 311 or 312 barrel's and those won't shoot 308 bullets almost all american made barrels(and those made in europe cz and sig) use 310 barrels.
View Quote

Are you really telling people to put .308 bullets in your AK?

You do understand that will not produce very good groups as the bullet is bouncing down the barrel, will not seal very well and not impart a very good twist as it is undersized compared to the barrel. So any advantage you see in purchasing better bullets using the .308 for your AK will be negated by the fact you are trying to push a smaller bullet through a larger barrel.

But then again I have shot a 9mm out of my .40 so I did save a little money on that shot.

Stick with what the AK was made for cheap blasting ammo and leave the accurate ammo to the ones specifically made for it.

BTW why would you go to a range, pay money to put bullets on paper and then use the crap ammo? Now out in a field plinking I have used my AK to crack rocks but for any accuracy work I alway go back to the AR and better ammo.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:48:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Ok so let me get this straight you are telling me you can use standard AK magazines in a Standard AR Lower? Here I'll save you the time to answer: No you can't!

You can use special AK magazines designed for an AR in a standard AR lower? Yes.

You can use a standard AR bolt to shoot your AK round? No you can't! You will need a special bolt to use in the AR.

As I said in my previous post you either need special AK magazines that are twice as expensive as the standard AR and don't work nearly as well or you have to use a modified AR lower like RRA to use standard AK mags. You will also need a bolt that is specifically designed for the 7.62X39 and they are prone to breakage because you are trying to jam a casing that is wider than the 5.56 cartridge and you have to shave metal off the bolt which makes it thinner and less strong than a standard AR bolt. Of course you also need a barrel change.

Now when it comes to ammo the AK can't be beat as the prices for the steel cased crap ammo is half as much as the brass cased 300BLK ammo. But when it comes to brass cased AK ammo the 300BLK is just as competitive in pricing and if you want to talk hunting ammo the 300BLK has a lot more variety at cheaper prices than that of the 7.62X39.

You said you have to modify the lower.  That is simply not true.  7.62x39 ar mags are 17 bucks a piece.  The place I bought them charged 12 for regular 223 mags.  All that is need besides the barrel is a bolt and mags.  No different than the 6.8 or 6.5 grendel.
Going by midwayusa cheapest 300 blackout is 17.50 a box of 20
7.62x39 is10.99 for a box of 20  prvi brass case.
So even with brass case the 7.62x39 is cheaper
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#32]

You do understand that will not produce very good groups as the bullet is bouncing down the barrel, will not seal very well and not impart a very good twist as it is undersized compared to the barrel. So any advantage you see in purchasing better bullets using the .308 for your AK will be negated by the fact you are trying to push a smaller bullet through a larger barrel.

But then again I have shot a 9mm out of my .40 so I did save a little money on that shot.

Stick with what the AK was made for cheap blasting ammo and leave the accurate ammo to the ones specifically made for it.

BTW why would you go to a range, pay money to put bullets on paper and then use the crap ammo? Now out in a field plinking I have used my AK to crack rocks but for any accuracy work I alway go back to the AR and better ammo.

Yes 308 bullets work well in almost all american made 7.62x39 barrel's.  Mine shoot just over a inch at 100 yards with 125 grain nosler ballistic tips.  The saami specs for 7.62x39 is 310 +- .002  that means 308 bullets are to spec.  But don't take my word for it here is a professional's experience
http://www.realguns.com/articles/260.htm

and
http://www.gunsandammo.com/reloading/reloading-the-7-62x39/

Both give loads for .308 bullets also notice the accuracy of the mini 30, not known to be accurate gun.  While on the real guns sight check out the 300 black out ruger ranch rifle.  Its loads are 150 fps slower than the 7.62x39 using the same bullet, same action and same length barrel.  thats 50 yards of usable range gone because the use of the 300 blackout.  Google around there are many other that have found the 308 bullets shoot well in the 7.62x39.  Now many AK's will actually be closer to .312 than .310 and the .312 barrel's won't shoot 308 bullets well.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:14:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You said you have to modify the lower.  That is simply not true.  7.62x39 ar mags are 17 bucks a piece.  The place I bought them charged 12 for regular 223 mags.  All that is need besides the barrel is a bolt and mags.  No different than the 6.8 or 6.5 grendel.
Going by midwayusa cheapest 300 blackout is 17.50 a box of 20
7.62x39 is10.99 for a box of 20  prvi brass case.
So even with brass case the 7.62x39 is cheaper
View Quote

Like I said you either need special non standard AK mags or a special highly modified lower to run your 7.62X39 round in an AR. Those mags that plug into the standard AR lower are notorious for not being near as reliable as the standard AR mag that the 300BLK uses and can be had for under $11.

I am sorry your google foo is so weak that you could only use midway to compare but if you were to actually search it is not hard to find rounds for under .50 cents each or less than $10 per 20. Once again less than or equal to the 7.62X39 brass rounds.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:32:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes 308 bullets work well in almost all american made 7.62x39 barrel's.  Mine shoot just over a inch at 100 yards with 125 grain nosler ballistic tips.  The saami specs for 7.62x39 is 310 +- .002  that means 308 bullets are to spec.  But don't take my word for it here is a professional's experience
http://www.realguns.com/articles/260.htm

and
http://www.gunsandammo.com/reloading/reloading-the-7-62x39/

Both give loads for .308 bullets also notice the accuracy of the mini 30, not known to be accurate gun.  While on the real guns sight check out the 300 black out ruger ranch rifle.  Its loads are 150 fps slower than the 7.62x39 using the same bullet, same action and same length barrel.  thats 50 yards of usable range gone because the use of the 300 blackout.  Google around there are many other that have found the 308 bullets shoot well in the 7.62x39.  Now many AK's will actually be closer to .312 than .310 and the .312 barrel's won't shoot 308 bullets well.
View Quote

No, the 308 Bullets do not work well in American made guns as you seem to know very little about your own bullets. You do know that the SAAMI for the 7.62 x39 size is actually .3110 right not .310 so even with your .002 variance you still are not in spec. SAMMI SPEC? The article you posted got it wrong. Also you do know that most of the bullets that are used for the AK run closer to .312. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62%C3%9739mm. That is why the barrels are made at .312 because if you try and squeeze a standard sized .312 bullet that is already loaded hot down a .310 barrel then you run the risk of over pressure.

You can use the .308 bullet in a pinch but to suggest that it can be used on any U.S. AK barrel is just irresponsible and asking for problems.

Now if you want to load .308 bullets wouldn't it be so much simpler in buying a round that is specifically made for the .308 bullets and within all specs than trying to pound a square peg in a round hole while hoping your AK barrel is out of spec enough to run the .308 than having to worry about running standard ammo because your barrel is too small?

BTW the 300BLK can easily run all AK bullets as all we have to do is put them through a sizer and I know plenty of people running the 123gr 7.62X39 Vmax through their rifles with no problems.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#35]

I have run 308 bullets in my 7.62x39 ar and they work very well.  Also I linked to articles where they have also run 308 bullets with very good accuracy.  You don't know what you are talking about unless you have tried to run 308 bullets in a 7.62x39 ar and got poor accuracy.  I am not suggesting someone run them in a AK, although some do, but they work very well in most 7.62x39 ar's because most 7.62x39 ar's are .310 barrel's.
this is from another AR15 member chopperbob
I've been reloading for 7.62x39 for fifteen years, for sks, ak, rashid, vz57, mini 30 and 77mkII

125 gr Rem SP, CCI primer (small for Rem brass), max loads of AA1680

have tried just about every type of .308 or .311 bullet avail. : plated .311s, cast w/checks, nosler BT, all the sierras, even subsonic tests w/220 gr.

generally, the load I settled on makes a group about half the size of imported ammo

that being said on my military guns, I shoot a lot more imported than reloads, but I love reloads for certain range days

But have found no disadvantages for using any .308 bullets in my testing

first, lube and resize/deprime brass, then tumble to remove lube, trim and chamfer

set up prog press w/ decapping pin only in first stage to remove the piece of media in flash hole, then load cases in and finish progressively

You do know many 7.62x39 dies come with a 308 expander?  Why would they include that if 308 bullets would not work?
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#36]

BTW the 300BLK can easily run all AK bullets as all we have to do is put them through a sizer and I know plenty of people running the 123gr 7.62X39 Vmax through their rifles with no problems.]

Sorry you are butt hurt over you precious 300 blk.  I will bow to your infinite wisdom and 300 blk fandom.  This thread is about the ar47 vs ak47, I don't know why you had to jump in and add your 300 blk love.  But since you did I will allow the thread to get back on target by no longer responding to a obvious fanboy.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Faxon makes an upper for 7.62x39 that is piston driven put that on a hybrid lower should be a terrific gun.

http://faxonfirearms.com/arak-21-upper-receiver/
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

BTW the 300BLK can easily run all AK bullets as all we have to do is put them through a sizer and I know plenty of people running the 123gr 7.62X39 Vmax through their rifles with no problems.]

Sorry you are butt hurt over you precious 300 blk.  I will bow to your infinite wisdom and 300 blk fandom.  This thread is about the ar47 vs ak47, I don't know why you had to jump in and add your 300 blk love.  But since you did I will allow the thread to get back on target by no longer responding to a obvious fanboy.
View Quote

I am sorry you don't even know the size of your bullets and it hurts when I point out that you are wrong but go ahead and attack me because you can't refute the facts that I offered you. All I did was offer up another options to putting a 7.62X39 cartridge into an AR. That would have just been the one post but it seems you were a little butthurt that I posted that you have to have special mags, lower, bolt and barrel to make a 7.62X39 run in an AR.

The fact that all you need to do to get nearly the same performance in the AR with a lot more bullet options and subsonic capabilities was to change a barrel for the 300BLK is what I pointed out but you couldn't leave that alone and this stupid back and forth happened.

Now please stop telling people it is OK to put .308 bullets into your AK as it is not. This is a technical forum and the fact that you advocate this as a common practice shows that you belong somewhere else instead of trying to give advice to those seeking it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#39]

I am sorry you don't even know the size of your bullets and it hurts when I point out that you are wrong but go ahead and attack me because you can't refute the facts that I offered you. All I did was offer up another options to putting a 7.62X39 cartridge into an AR. That would have just been the one post but it seems you were a little butthurt that I posted that you have to have special mags, lower, bolt and barrel to make a 7.62X39 run in an AR.

The fact that all you need to do to get nearly the same performance in the AR with a lot more bullet options and subsonic capabilities was to change a barrel for the 300BLK is what I pointed out but you couldn't leave that alone and this stupid back and forth happened.

Now please stop telling people it is OK to put .308 bullets into your AK as it is not. This is a technical forum and the fact that you advocate this as a common practice shows that you belong somewhere else instead of trying to give advice to those seeking it.

Your the one that resorted to personal attacks after I provided proof from 3 different sources that the 7.62x39 can be loaded with .308 bullets and be accurate.  I pointed out that your post in a ar47 vs ak 47 thread you stated that the 300 blk is the better option because all that needs changed is the barrel.  I responded that while that maybe true everyone I have known that has a 300 blk uses a complete upper and all but one keeps separate mags.  So the only savings by using the 300 blk is slightly cheaper mags.  You also keep repeating the whole modify the lower thing even though the vast majority of AR47's are on regular ar 15 lowers.  I have seen your post on other topics always jumping in and bashing anyone who isn't a 300 blk fanboy like yourself.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 2:09:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Your the one that resorted to personal attacks after I provided proof from 3 different sources that the 7.62x39 can be loaded with .308 bullets and be accurate.  I pointed out that your post in a ar47 vs ak 47 thread you stated that the 300 blk is the better option because all that needs changed is the barrel.  I responded that while that maybe true everyone I have known that has a 300 blk uses a complete upper and all but one keeps separate mags.  So the only savings by using the 300 blk is slightly cheaper mags.  You also keep repeating the whole modify the lower thing even though the vast majority of AR47's are on regular ar 15 lowers.  I have seen your post on other topics always jumping in and bashing anyone who isn't a 300 blk fanboy like yourself.
View Quote

Ok you are right go ahead and tell everyone to shoot the .308 out of your AK barrel. I mean I only gave you SAAMI specs while you gave me a couple guys on the internet that said they didn't blow themselves up putting .308 bullets through their AK.

The stupid part is that you are arguing with yourself as in your previous posts you more than admitted that it may not work. Yet you double down on dumb and keep saying it is ok to put .308 bullets into your oversized AK barrel. There is a reason that bullets and barrels are made to exacting standards and the fact that you keep saying it is OK because if your SAMMI specs are .002 off and your barrel is a little smaller than spec then you can come close to being able to put a .308 bullet down your tube...just smacks of stupid.

Once again this is a technical forum and the fact you are advocating putting wrong sized bullets into a barrel show that you should not be giving any advice but should be reading a lot more of it before posting.

Then again since you did just join last month I am sure you are quite the expert.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#41]
FWIW I checked ammo seek, .300 BO starts around 46 cents/round, that's remanufactured ammo available from at least three different vendors. Cheapest factory ammo was 59 cents/round.

Ammo seek also show Tula 7.62x39 starting at 22 cents/round. Less than half. The best 7.62x39 IMHO is Golen Tiger and I bought a case earlier this year for 25 cents/round.

A few years ago 7.62x39 mags weren't as good as they are today. My first 7.62x39 upper is several years old, had to modify the feed ramps & my ASC mags to run reliably but it does.  
Earlier this year I picked up a PSA 7.62x39 upper, unmodified it runs my old ASC mags fine as well as unmodified CPD mags.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top