Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2007 4:39:13 PM EDT
Is it ok to build an AR Pistol using a standard 6 position buffer tube?  Of course I wouldnt put the stock on, but I dont know if it would fly even without the stock on the tube?

Whats the current word on this?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't do it
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:03:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Just because you don't have a stock on it at the time, does not mean that you can't do it later, the ATF calls it constructive possession. The tube must not be able to accept a stock. You might be able to get away with it for a time, but all you need is that one magical individual that knows the regs and knows what he's looking at to really cause some problems for you. $45 bucks for the right thing or jail/ court costs/ attorney fees/ probation for the wrong thing.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldnt do it. The temptation would be there and you are better off not having to answer to ATF because they know WHAT you could do.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw a pic where someone wrapped the 6 pos. tube in Olive Drab parachute cord.  It looked pretty damn cool plus it prevents you from slipping a stock on the end.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I looked awesome but they may say you can upwrap it and put on a stock. I still wouldnt do it just for the fact "Its better safe than sorry" ......Just me

Quoted:
I saw a pic where someone wrapped the 6 pos. tube in Olive Drab parachute cord.  It looked pretty damn cool plus it prevents you from slipping a stock on the end.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Too easy to be called on the mat for that one. Play it safe.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#7]
look, as smart as we all want to think we are or as lucky we think we are........it's dumb to think "I" will be the one to get away with it just to save $200 on a tax stamp.

when you add up the penalty of loss of gun rights, fines ,lawyer fees, court costs and all of the guns you currently have. taint worth it.

nope, for me I'll play their stupid game and pay the $200 "privilage from the king" tax.

at least while we still have something of a government that likes to throw it's master (the  citizen) in prison.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:37:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm building a pistol right now and decided not to put the stock buffer tube on it.  But you can, and you are in no danger.  Go to the pistols forum and read some of the info in the stickied threads.  You can do it, the ATF says they don't care what you do as long as you don't have a buttstock on it.  In fact, several people recommend that you do that if you want to save some money in your build if you are planning on going the SBR route.  That is what I am doing, however I don't like the looks of carbine buffer just sitting there, so I went with the pistol tube.

The pistol forum is the better place to post and research your question.  The answer is there in several places.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Start here: link

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top