Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2003 12:51:23 PM EDT
I recently purchased an AR15 Kit from "Model 1 Sales" along with a 20" complete upper Bull barrel.

Great Value and product. Though I recommend to be specific to ask for the blackest receiver they have when you buy ... some are not the deep dark black.

MEGA Lowers are excellent !!!

George    [email protected]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently purchased an AR15 Kit from "Model 1 Sales" along with a 20" complete upper Bull barrel.

Going to withhold comment...

The upper receiver of the 24" clearly does not have milspec teflon coating on the inside where the bolt carrier group goes.
View Quote

The Teflon coating on the inside of the upper IS NOT part of the mil-spec.  Only Bushmaster does this to help with break in.  If you don't have it don't worry - neither to the M16s or M4s used by the US Military.

If the teflon simply wears out with a hundred rounds and serves no critical purpose then it isn't a big deal and I won't want to waste the effort then I can go out and shoot my new toy. ("New Toy" desperation!)
View Quote

Don't worry about it - just go out and shoot your rifle!
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with Forest. This is apparently a bench gun, I wouldn't worry about any "coating".
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm confused.  You ordered a 20" but got a 24" upper?  What am I missing?  Teflon coating?  Aren't uppers usually anodized?  Please fill me in.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I could be totally wrong about this but I always thought only Bushmastser put a coating inside there reciever where the bolt carrier slids.I don't think the military rifles has it.I could be wrong though. I never gave it any thought......WarDawg
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Perhaps a change in your medication would help.

Take it out and shoot it or send it back! It is your rifle, you decide!

Just lubricate it, you do lube them, don't you?

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#6]
If it is not what you expected or paid for...call them back state your problem and request an exchange. No sense in owning a gun you will not be happy with.

BR
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I can settle this.  Send me the images.  Then we will decide, and we can all stop bashing my favorite company.  (Model 1 Sales).

EDITED

After receiving the images and viewing the interior, I think something just doesn't look right.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#8]
[image]http://mail.westerncom.net/~stevem/6a9dd1.jpg[/image]
[image]http://mail.westerncom.net/~stevem/6a9e7b.jpg[/image]
[image]http://mail.westerncom.net/~stevem/6a9f07.jpg[/image]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#9]
They are durable.

[url]http://groups.msn.com/THEGUNROOM/weaponsonly1.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=11065&LastModified=4675411320245261392[/url]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I’m no “expert” on the AR Teflon question.
  I do however work at a helicopter depot overhaul facility, and have vast experience with aluminum, titanium, stainless steel, and cobalt (all of which are normally alloyed).
  As aluminum goes, it DOES corrode! It will not rust, rather, it will turn into a chalky white powder. Galling is usually caused by two similar metals contacting and having friction (most notably stainless steel), this doesn’t seem to be an issue here.
  Aluminum should ALWAYS have some form of corrosion treatment, be it alodyne, anodizing, plating, or Teflon coating. Furthermore, corrosion will be accelerated by the contact of dissimilar metals (i.e. bolt carrier to upper receiver).
  How long it will take for this corrosion to be evident will be determined by environmental conditions (temperature, humidity, PH levels, etc). Lubricant used on the weapon will most certainly slow the corrosion by providing a protective barrier. But, rest assured you WILL have a corrosion issue with the bare aluminum, just a matter of when.

Hope this sheds some light.

Oh- I could just be anal about this too. [8)]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Bare aluminum?

Anodizing, of course, adds a hard skin, which protects the softer aluminum underneath.  Maybe I’m missing something here, but I’m real curious why it would be anodized on the outside but not the inside?

However, looking at your top and bottom photos: there appears to something – possible dark anodizing – visible in the milled out area inside the upper where the cam pin rotates.  It does appear that possibly some sort of white coating has been applied over the dark anodizing.

However, you can see that a lot better than I can.

Anyway, it seems to me you’d certainly want some form of protective coating on the inside of the upper.  Otherwise you’ve got the steel bolt carrier rubbing (rather briskly) against raw aluminum.

If there’s any doubt, I’d send it back and ask them to make it right!  
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:55:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Something is definitely wrong with that upper; looks like it has some white powder inside or it is still in the white. Send it back and get a milspec.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Those pics are how the inside of my A2 Bushmaster looked when I got it.  I lubed it and , put a few hundred rounds through it, and it looked a bit better.  I have since swapped it to a flattop.  I just rechecked the A2 upper in my safe, and it still looks like that in areas.

Take the thing out, lube it and shoot it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top