Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2015 11:08:32 PM EDT
I apologize for my ignorance but here goes...

Through a relative I have found myself in the possession of an AR15 A@ Sporter II model R6510 stamped in 222. I have found a little bit of info on the net about them being produced years ago and were stamped 222 to overcome export restrictions. My questions are:

1) Can it fire a 223 cartridge without mods?
- If not, are the proper 222 cartridges expensive or hard to come by?
- Can it use 223 magazines?

2) I would like to have some idea what it is worth? (All original, rarely shot.)

3) What is you opinion in general?

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't answer your question but you might want to request to get this moved to the retro section where the guys over there know a lot about the .222 export rifles.

My memory is that no they cannot use .223 caliber rounds, as for mags I do not know.

Like i said some of the retro guys can really fill you in on what you need to know. BTW pics would be nice
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#2]
1.  No way can you shoot .223 Remington in .222 Remington.  It won't fully chamber.  Yes, .222 Remington will feed from existing magazines

Ammo availability: Ammoseek .222 Remington

2. Collector's item.

3. Overall opinion is that this was a rifle meant for export sales in countries where civilians aren't allowed to own military calibers.  Since ammo is 49 cents a round best price, I'm not sure what value it would serve in the US, other than a collector's piece.

Pics of rifle?

Colt AR15A2 Sporter in .222 Remington
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:33:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. I have a custom fore-end on it right now but I am going to put it back to stock. After I do, I'll post up some pics.

ZZ
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 5:13:37 PM EDT
[#4]
As a kid in the early 70s  I was at Springfield Armory Museum and the guide showed us one of these , as I recall the presentation  it was developed for French Civilians who were barred from owning rifles in military calibers. (a fuzzy memory , from a decade that got Fuzzier as it went along)
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Here are some pics. I also have the original .222 mags that came with it.

Let me know what you think.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#6]
That does not appear to be the original barrel.  It has an M4 profile and those weren't made when the AR15A2 was being produced.

Does the barrel have any markings on it?  Look under the handguards near the chamber and near the muzzle.  Post pics if you find any.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#7]
The barrel is stamped 3/98 under the handguard and stamped 556 NATO 1/7 above the stamp is the letters C and MP

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, it appears that the barrel on the rifle is a Colt with a 5.56 Nato chamber and 1/7 twist.  That means you should be safe to shoot either .223 or 5.56 ammo no problem.

Is there any chance you could get the original barrel?  That barrel and lower might be worth something to a collector.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't think that's the original upper at all to be honest.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I noticed all of the pics on the net of this model have a triangle stock instead of the collapsible stock shown here too. I was suspicious about whether this one had been tinkered with. I was thinking of selling this one and get one that is .223/556 but now I may not have to.

Thanks for the responses guys.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top