Link Posted: 3/8/2005 7:05:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn nice oldie!
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Ar10 yes but not a Sniper  nice rifle though
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry for the hijack, but I have always wondered why the magazine of the AR-10 (and countless other rifles) is "waffled like that?"  Thanks.

Respectfully,

Justin

Anyone?
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice Picture!
Nice rifle!
I wonder when the picture was taken.  Check out the outlet in the rear of the picture.  Was the picture taken in Europe?
MB
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ar10 yes but not a Sniper  nice rifle though

How so? It is the proper issue scope with purpose built bi-pod. Further more, this rifle is semi-auto only when most standard AR10's are full-auto (I am refering to the original ones made for the Portugese army).

That rifle is as issued.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Nice Picture!
Nice rifle!
I wonder when the picture was taken.  Check out the outlet in the rear of the picture.  Was the picture taken in Europe?
MB

That outlet is a current UK style 220 outlet.  It could be any country with former/current UK ties.    
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Pictures were taken by me in New Zealand, the rifle belongs to a friend of mine.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#11]
You`ve got a great rifle!
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You`ve got a great rifle!

+1 Very cool rifle!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sorry for the hijack, but I have always wondered why the magazine of the AR-10 (and countless other rifles) is "waffled like that?"  Thanks.

Respectfully,

Justin

Anyone?

bump.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Respectfully,

Justin

Troy,

Do you have an answer perhaps?  I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Justin
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's my guesses:

Probably to keep the magazine spring centered and allow the follower a set path to move on.  

It also might help to make the magazine more rigid witout adding more metal to it.

More crevices to attract and hold dirt and other stuff that might cause the follower to get stuck.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Here's my guesses:

Probably to keep the magazine spring centered and allow the follower a set path to move on.  

It also might help to make the magazine more rigid witout adding more metal to it.

More crevices to attract and hold dirt and other stuff that might cause the follower to get stuck.

I guess that's a decent reason to "waffle" the magazines.  But like you said, and I was wondering the exact same thing, the indents do pose a problem as far as dirt goes so wouldn't this disadvantage cancel-out the benefits?  Thanks.

Justin
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:12:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The waffling is to add strength.  A piece of paper bends easily, but roll it up into a cylinder, and that cylinder will be quite strong in comparision.  Or take a shoe box with no lid, and holding it lengthwise, twist it.  It will twist easily.  Now put the top on the box and try to twist it.  MUCH more difficult.  Now take a 4 foot, 2" wide piece of steel, and bend it.  It bends easily.  Now bend it lengthwise into a piece of angle iron.  The angle iron is much more difficult to bend.

The ridges in the magazine add a lot of strength by adding angles that resist torsion (twisting).  It's an engineering technique that has been used since the invention of the arch.

-Troy

Troy,

So why didn't Eugene Stoner waffle the AR-15 magazines?  Does anyone make 30 round waffled AR-15 magazines, or is that not possible due to their curved shape?  

And what about a magazine such as this one on the XCR?  I have seen the same magazine on a few AR-15's and was wondering what benefit does this sort of magazine construction provide?  If this technique also makes for a stronger magazine, then is it stronger then the waffled magazines?

Thank you,

Justin
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow!
Real nice weapon.
Looks like a sniper model to me. Did I miss something?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Troy,

So why didn't Eugene Stoner waffle the AR-15 magazines?

The original 25-round prototype AR mags, as well as the earliest 20-round Armalite production mags (1959) were waffle-pattern like the AR10, and were steel.  Those waffle mags weren't as reliable in .223, probably due to the narrow diameter of the case.  Plus, the smaller mag had less structural problems, so the cross-channels were deleted.

Does anyone make 30 round waffled AR-15 magazines, or is that not possible due to their curved shape?

Probably possible, but definitely not a great idea for a curved mag.  The curve adds strength by itself.

And what about a magazine such as this one on the XCR?  I have seen the same magazine on a few AR-15's and was wondering what benefit does this sort of magazine construction provide?  If this technique also makes for a stronger magazine, then is it stronger then the waffled magazines?

That's a plastic Thermold magazine, which was probably just used because it was pretty.  The only military that ever used them was the Canadians, and they abandoned them for USGI magazines after experiencing a lot of problems with them in Iraq in 1991.  I don't recommend them, but they are popular with folks because they work pretty decent at the range.  They don't stand up to rough handling or poor conditions (dust, sand, etc.) very well, and should not be used for "duty" use.

-Troy

Thanks Troy.

-Justin
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#23]
We've come a long way baby!!

That was a nice start though, wasn't it?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Is it a sniper model?
Yes and no.

The dedicated sniper model had a portion of the carry handle "ears" milled down. It's unmistakeable when you see one in profile, but the 3 & 3.6 Delft scopes actually fit on the carry handles whether milled for the scope or not.

The bipod and the dedicated handguards do not make it a sniper model.
Also, sniper models were select fire like all A.I. AR-10s.

I got this information from Maj Pikula's book, so if you disagree, please take it up with him!!

Many thanks to our friend in New Zealand for posting these pics.

The original AR-10 is my favorite rifle.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top