Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 9:51:43 AM EDT
ADCO just threaded my barrel and installed a FH. My question is why are the flanges on the FH not lined up with the top of the barrel, or FH?
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/421565557/0.jpg
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#1]
They are just wrench flats and don't have to be in a specific position.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought it just looked better when they were parallel to the top of the rifle.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I thought it just looked better when they were parallel to the top of the rifle.

Rifles don't care about 'looks' - performance is the only critera.

If you want looks buy an airsoft.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't worry about it, that's normal and any installer would do the same.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Perfectly normal. It looks like you have an A2 there, and as long as the flash hider is timed correctly (closed end on the bottom), the position of the wrench flats does not matter.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmm. That is indeed odd. On all of my ARs, the wrench flats line up vertically when the FH is correctly positioned with the slits covering the nine-through-three-o'clock positions, as depicted in the following image:

http://webpages.charter.net/dlwh/AR15_16in_FH.jpg

Based on your image, my only conclusion is that the FH was machined incorrectly. However, as others here have mentioned. the placements of the flats are irrelevant as long as the slits are correctly positioned.

DL

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies, just wanted to ask.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#8]
it probably depends on how the threads were cut. im sorry your OCD is so severe.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
it probably depends on how the threads were cut. im sorry your OCD is so severe.

It is not a function of how the threads are cut but, rather a result of where the "flats" were positioned on the FH when it was fabricated.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#10]
One of my ARs has a set screw type FH on it and I would like to remove it and but a threaded one on.  My question is what if who ever put the current FH on ground flat spots on the barrel to hold the set screws on the barrel can I thread over these?  Also what size and thread count are the A2 type flashhiders?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#11]
my ADCO installed FH is the same way.  i also have a Colt with the flats on the sides like in the other picture...

if looks dont matter, why does everyone hang all that crap off their rifles when they make those hideous M4geries?

edited to add:
looks like we both have 2 different FHs as well.  look at the slots in each of the pics.  the newer ADCO installed one has very small slits when compared to the second picture...

david
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#12]
my LMT  FH is like the second picture , and looks do count !   unless you like ugly women , bad boob jobs  and Michael Jackson's nose  !!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#13]
i have two phantoms and one is straight and the other isnt

then i have an as that isnt but an a1 that is
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top