Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2003 3:25:08 PM EDT
Just got one of the ACE skeleteon stocks, only problem I have with it is there is a slight "wiggle" to the stock, is there a fix for this or is this a none problem?

Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Wiggle? Hell i had to tap mine on with a rubber mallet....
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
No, I mean, wiggle when it is all locked down and screwed together, there seems to be about 1/8th of an inch between the lower section of the stock and the reciever, allowing about a 1 mm wiggle.

DIsconcerting when mounting the rifle.

Do you know if there is a spacer available or if it is recommended to use one?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The only spacers i have seen are either full on 1/2 inch or so spacers made to increase the LOP on A2 stocks,or side sling adapters and they are about 1/8" or so,But really,It shouldnt fit like that.Use a side sling spacer if ya want,it's prolly as close as youll find and will make itself useful for a tac sling, But if it were me id take off the buffer tube and hand fit to see whats the problem....sorry i cant be more help..........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Wait a minute your not trying to install the ace stock with the A2 tube spacer still on are you?....If so just use the buffer tube,not the plastic spacer..........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wiggle? Hell i had to tap mine on with a rubber mallet....
View Quote

I had to BEAT mine one with a rubber mallet lol.  Then I noticed I hadn't put the foam tube on...DOH.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah i remember,Fenian, how'd that para wrap job go?...........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:16:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Fenian, I did the same thing (thoy ought to explain it better in the docs), luckily, I used a lrge amount of liquid soap and it the foam slipped off quite easily.

No spacer been installed, it just has that tniy little wiggle, which is very annoying.

I am going to try putting a washer in the reciever detent and see if that takes up the play.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:04:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Hielo, the first ARFX I got was from the first pre-production run and it also did what you are describing...

It was binding on the stock 'dimple' that slips into the relieved area of the lower.  Take off the stock and check for any binding marks in the dimple area.  I needed to use a dremel to remove some of the material on the stock.  Also check the area of the stock where the end of the extension slides in.  My third ARFX had rough edges that was keeping the extension from fully seating in the stock.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:05:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hielo, the first ARFX I got was from the first pre-production run and it also did what you are describing...

It was binding on the stock 'dimple' that slips into the relieved area of the lower.  Take off the stock and check for any binding marks in the dimple area.  I needed to use a dremel to remove some of the material on the stock.  Also check the area of the stock where the end of the extension slides in.  My third ARFX had rough edges that was keeping the extension from fully seating in the stock.
View Quote

Will do Darkstar, thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:58:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Perhaps you have an out-of-spec buffer tube that is too long preventing the Ace stock from sliding fully forward during installation.  Did you tighten the two set screws in the forward block?  Isn't there some way you can more closely examine the relationship of the parts to see what's going on?  Call Ace and explain you problem.  See what they say.  Maybe you got a bad stock.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:10:18 PM EDT
[#11]
If I'm not mistaken, the first batch or so of the ARFX stocks were a little tight...I seem to recall hearing something to that effect not too long after I bought mine.  I *think* ACE was offering to exchange them, but I had already installed mine.  Of course, some lube would have helped...lube ALWAYS helps [:D]

uh...huh huh...he said lube huh huh...

Underdog, the para wrap went ok...I might be about 2 coils short of completely tight...I think it shifted/compressed a little after I did it.  All in all, though, it doesn't look bad.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I might be about 2 coils short of completely tight
View Quote

I think we've all felt that way sometimes...[:)]

--Otter
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:52:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I might be about 2 coils short of completely tight
View Quote

I think we've all felt that way sometimes...[:)]

--Otter
View Quote

well, I was talking about the wrap job...anyone who knows me knows I'M about 20 coils short of completely tight lol.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Underdog, the para wrap went ok...I might be about 2 coils short of completely tight...I think it shifted/compressed a little after I did it.  All in all, though, it doesn't look bad.  
View Quote

pics??  is it OD cord?  would probably look good with OD furniture huh?  
i ALMOST didnt get the ACE cause i wanted to go with OD furniture but i got it and went w/black.  

BTW  mine went on REALLY tight.  i also put the tube on before the foam, got me pretty P.O.'ed.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

pics??  is it OD cord?  would probably look good with OD furniture huh?  
i ALMOST didnt get the ACE cause i wanted to go with OD furniture but i got it and went w/black.  

BTW  mine went on REALLY tight.  i also put the tube on before the foam, got me pretty P.O.'ed.
View Quote

[img]HTTP://users.adelphia.net/~masine/ar153.jpg[/img]
OD para cord wrap.........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the para-wrap much better than the foam.....  
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:23:38 AM EDT
[#17]
awesome!!

im gonna have to try it,  if i mess up i can just put the foam back on.  what kind of knot did you use?  a slipknot?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top