Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/18/2009 4:41:29 PM EST
I have an opportunity to buy a TA31F-G at a great price and I've always wanted an ACOG. However, I've been reading various forums and the number one complaint for this model is the lack of eye relief.

Unfortunately, I live in San Francisco and I have never seen an ACOG in real life at any local stores, nor have I ever run across someone at a range who had one mounted. So, I wanted to post here to get people's thoughts on how big of an issue this is. Are people regularly injuring themselves as a result of this, or is it just a matter of personal preference? Or something in-between?

Any insight appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:49:06 PM EST
Nose to the charging handle .... never had a problem

Eye near the Acog ... haven't had a problem

(haven't put an Acog on my FAL though, bit more recoil )
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:49:59 PM EST
Originally Posted By All_Beef_Patty:
I have an opportunity to buy a TA31F-G at a great price and I've always wanted an ACOG. However, I've been reading various forums and the number one complaint for this model is the lack of eye relief.

Unfortunately, I live in San Francisco and I have never seen an ACOG in real life at any local stores, nor have I ever run across someone at a range who had one mounted. So, I wanted to post here to get people's thoughts on how big of an issue this is. Are people regularly injuring themselves as a result of this, or is it just a matter of personal preference? Or something in-between?

Any insight appreciated. Thanks!

The ACOG junkies will tell you to go with a TA11. It is only 3.5x magnification and has more eye relief than the TA31. 2.39 in of eye relief vs. 1.5 in.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:57:07 PM EST
Eye relief is horrible, I've had an TA01, TA01NSN, and a TA31F, got rid of all of them cause I just couldn't get used to that 1.5" eye relief.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:50:42 PM EST
If you don't shoot ntch and you want a flip down rear buis behind it it's going to be difficult.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:02:27 PM EST
TA11 or 33 and you won't have any complaints. All the 4x models, you have to be very close.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:26:13 PM EST
I run a TA31H on my 6.8 and it doesn't bother me because I shoot Nose to CH. I run a Magpul MBUS under mine with no problems. I could understand how people would like more eye relief though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:18:16 PM EST
BAC works much better for me with the ER of an 11 versus a 31. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:20:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/19/2009 2:21:17 AM EST by Hokie]
Comparatively....with regards to eye socket molestation....

TA31:

Eye Relief = 1.5"
Exit Pupil = 8mm

TA11:

Eye Relief = 2.4"
Exit Pupil = 10mm

TA33:

Eye Relief = 1.9"
Exit Pupil = 10mm
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:40:24 AM EST
Originally Posted By carbonfly:
I run a TA31H on my 6.8 and it doesn't bother me because I shoot Nose to CH. I run a Magpul MBUS under mine with no problems. I could understand how people would like more eye relief though.

That about sums it up.

I've ben running a TA31F for months and never had a problem, but I could definitely understand the point.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:51:21 AM EST
If you have an A2 stock, it may be a problem with a 4x32 ACOG, but then you could always remove the BUIS and mount the ACOG all the way back, or you can get a LaRue RCO mount.

If you have a collapsible stock, it makes all the difference. All the way collapsed, it's about perfect for me (with SOPMOD stocks). These days I shoot with the stock completely collapsed whether I have a 4x32 ACOG, Aimpoint or EOTech on it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:17:05 AM EST
It wount smack you in the eye but if you wear shooting glasses it will hit the glasses every few rounds.
Top Top