Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2021 8:36:28 AM EDT
Anyone on here have a ACOG 4x32 with the crosshair reticle ? I cannot find one to look through around my parts. Every acog I have shot with has the chevron and I just don’t like it for precise work.
So can those with the crosshair acog please give me your feedback on shooting groups with that reticle?
My 2nd choice is the dot with the donut but I don’t know the size of that dot & if it completely covers 6&8 inch plates at 200 yards. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a very old 4x32 with cross hairs and furthest I have shot with it was 250yds. Off a bench rest , basically an ammo can , it's pretty good. I'm kind of old school and like the cross hairs for a bit more distance shooting. So , yes it's good when used right , but not wonderful overall.

Now , you can shoot it fairly fast and all , but the other sight pictures are much better suited for picking up target.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I had one and didn't really care for it. It was really tiny to the eye and the illumination made it looks busy. I also had a green chevron reticle in a TA33, but only have a red TA31 with the horseshoe/dot anymore, which is my preference

Link Posted: 8/21/2021 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#3]
ACOGs aren’t for shooting groups. Additionally, the crosshair often blooms which mucks up a lot of that theoretical added precision, as does the bewildering addition of a 200m bold barely underneath the 100m hold which gets in the way even more. They all work, but trying to get an ACOG under the premise of which is most precise for shooting groups @ 100 is to misunderstand the philosophy of the optic.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#4]
TA01 or TA01NSN is what you seek.

I've shot them for years, and for "Precision" combat shooting (think combat EIC), they're great.

For the Army National Match Course, I shot a 192-6X at 500y at FT. Benning this year, with a TA01 on a FN M4A1, shooting M855A1.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2021 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
TA01 or TA01NSN is what you seek.

I've shot them for years, and for "Precision" combat shooting (think combat EIC), they're great.

For the Army National Match Course, I shot a 192-6X at 500y at FT. Benning this year, with a TA01 on a FN M4A1, shooting M855A1.  

View Quote

Now having said what I said, for some odd niche situation where you’re restricted to specific optics but charged with precision shooting, such as those listed here, then yeah the crosshairs make sense. But yes I’d definitely go with an 01 or LED model to prevent blooming.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:29:40 AM EDT
[#6]
The 100 and 200 meter stadia lines are too close together and redundant.  

They should have made it a 200M zero and started from there.

I like the horseshoe dot a lot better.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The 100 and 200 meter stadia lines are too close together and redundant.  

They should have made it a 200M zero and started from there.

I like the horseshoe dot a lot better.
View Quote

This is close to how I think they should have done it. Crossed @ 200, and extended the top portion of the crosshair just a smidge like a tiny post that extends up as a 100m hold. But no. They just put two big fat crosshairs right next to each other and dicked up both holds as functionally it’s one bigass 100-200m crosshair.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a TA01 acog w/ crosshair reticle and also a A4RCO with chevron reticle. I've always shot better groups with the crosshair and I prefer the TA01. Yes the reticle is thin but the clarity of the glass is so nice that it's not an issue. TA01 acog is my favorite acog and as an added bonus I've discovered that zeroed at 100 yards w/ m193 ammo on a flattop 16" carbine, the bdc is spot on out to 500 yards and pretty close after that.

This is my best group I shot at 200 yards with the crosshair. With the chevron it would probably be twice that size, I'm just not as good with the chevron.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 11:16:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Crosshair it is then.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anyone on here have a ACOG 4x32 with the crosshair reticle ? I cannot find one to look through around my parts. Every acog I have shot with has the chevron and I just don’t like it for precise work.
So can those with the crosshair acog please give me your feedback on shooting groups with that reticle?
My 2nd choice is the dot with the donut but I don’t know the size of that dot & if it completely covers 6&8 inch plates at 200 yards. Thanks
View Quote

I’ll echo what a few others have said.  I find the 200m line to close to the main crosshair which made it difficult for me to be precise.  My example was a TA01NSN which didn’t have illumination.  I could only imagine it would be more difficult with the bloom from the illumination on a TA31.

The dot on the horseshoe/dot reticle is 2moa.  Not very precise.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an old 01NSN and still use it..

Both the glass & reticle are very clear.. the real limit of the Acog are the adjustments.. older model used to have 1/3moa clicks.. newer ones have 1/2moa clicks..

Enough for shooting talibans with 2-3moa ammo though
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 12:30:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I have Trijicon LAW reticle ACOG's mounted on DD Mk18's. Simple crosshairs with no BDC. I zeroed them at 200 yards. Because the Mk18 has such a short barrel I decided I didn't need a BDC. The reticle is a simple + that has low level illumination at night.

I have an early ACOG with a serial number under 2000 that has crosshairs and a BDC. I prefer the 3.5x TA11 crosshairs because they left the useless 200 hash mark off that model. All that did was interfere with getting a good sight picture. The horseshoe reticle is very good, the donut reticle is horrible for anything other than up close and personal, it completely covers your intended target even at relatively short ranges. I'm not a fan of the chevron. The chevron is popular because so many people have experience using them in the military, I doubt they would be as well liked had Uncle Sam used a different reticle.

ACOG's are great scopes that enable quick BDC sighting for combat applications.

Link Posted: 8/22/2021 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Mirroring what everyone else has said, that 200 line is busy in the 31. With plenty of tape on the fiber optic it's not really a big deal, especially if you're actually shooting at things 200 meters away.. you might appreciate that line. 100-200 targets can get lost behind the reticle illumination unless it's taped up good. In a 31, the chevron will do the same thing in a less busy way. 200 in the crotch is tough to see.  I have all the ACOG scopes in different colors and reticles, all my 31s have some flavor of chevron.  For me I prefer crosshairs in the 11 or 33.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m leaning towards the horse shoe/ dot reticle. But I want RED but don’t see that listed for 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a 2x compact acog with red and amber crosshairs. Love them both
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 9:50:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I agree that ACOG’s suck for shooting groups as do chevron reticles in general. I have an older accupoint with a spear reticle and it’s not great for precise long range stuff.

If you are looking for precision a small scope with more magnification might be worth looking into.

Quoted:
I’m leaning towards the horse shoe/ dot reticle. But I want RED but don’t see that listed for 5.56.
View Quote

What is it available in? If it’s 308 it will work fine. Almost all the similar reticles are close enough to fine tune for your load.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I agree that ACOG's suck for shooting groups as do chevron reticles in general. I have an older accupoint with a spear reticle and it's not great for precise long range stuff.
View Quote
TR24 spear ain't too shabby at 100yds from an M4 slung up. Not enough 600yd Dope yet.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/3/2021 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

People like you with your skill and good technique don’t count

I did alright off a bench but even there I wish it had some kind horizontal stadia lines. I think it’s going to end up on my Howa Blackout that will enventually be a SBR. Should be a pretty good fit for that being I probably won’t ever shoot it out very far.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 6:01:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Started shooting the TA01NSN back in 95'.  Center is tritium that has a 10 yr shelf life.  Still usable in daylight after but yellow night tritium fades away.

CD
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 7:05:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I got a TA01 specifically for the crosshair, and the precision problems I was having with the TA31F.

The chevron is faster, but the crosshair really lets me be precise.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/4/2021 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Got a product number?
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Got a product number?
View Quote

https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/ta31h
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 1:02:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Old Razor cell phone picture of a TA01NSN on a AR in NM Dec 07.  Rifle rested on a cedar fence post, target mule deer.

Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#26]
TA31 with red crosshair is best ACOG
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top