Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2023 4:17:25 PM EDT
So I'm wondering the differences between the AAC 300BO 110 tmk vs the 125 Sabre beyond the obvious grain differences. I'm familiar with the TMK but after numerous searches here there and everywhere, I cannot find a real description of what exactly this Sabre Blade actually is. Would I be correct in assuming it's AAC'S in house tmk? My question could easily be applied to 5.56 as well. How do they compare both in accuracy as well as terminal performance? I'm a bit miffed how PSA is able to put this ammo out without telling us what the hell it is. I get it, the price points are great to behold but I'm still having trouble making a purchase without knowing what exactly what it is that I'm buying?
Blacktip IMHO refers to either AP M2 or Barnes TacTX (tipped copper projectile). I guess now it's also something else entirely....but what?
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#1]
PSA/Jammin has already said on here that it is their TMK
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 4:52:23 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a black painted tip
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 4:56:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a black painted tip
View Quote

It's a black polymer tip
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
PSA/Jammin has already said on here that it is their TMK
View Quote

That's what I had assumed but never read it as fact. So are there any numbers comparing the two (110 TMK vs 125 Sabre Blade) accuracy as well as terminal effects? I'd like an apples to apples comparison if anybody has it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#5]
It’s a ballistic tip similar to the TMK/ ELD. It does NOT retain weight or expand like the description states but it does fragment nicely.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I've shot some AAC "SABRE BLADE BLACK TIP" 5.56 NATO 62 GRAIN out of my 12.5 AR.

I set zero at 50 yd, POI was an inch high and right vs prior 55 grain I used.
Accuracy was mostly good with an 1 in 5 flyer. Maybe me or gun. Certainly better than most FMJ ammo.

I shot a round into a piece of dry firewood that was not split, 6" diameter, from 35 yards. It did not exit.
I split the wood, got lucky it split right at the bullet. It was very mushroomed and almost all intact.
I found a separate small fragment that had went vertical a good ways.
Pretty crude test, but it was interesting.

Seemed pretty clean, I was shooting suppressed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Some people were saying it was the same as Vmax but why offer both? I think I read on the .223 ammo PSA said it was like a thicker jacket maybe for a little more penetration and retention  but didn't say that on the 300BLK. Yes I agree I wish they could explain the differences a little better. I shot paper with some yesterday sighting in a scope ultimately for Barnes ttsx but I was pleased with the grouping  considering I was huffing and puffing and sweating profusely.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's a black painted tip
View Quote
You're 50% right.
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Some people were saying it was the same as Vmax but why offer both? I think I read on the .223 ammo PSA said it was like a thicker jacket maybe for a little more penetration and retention  but didn't say that on the 300BLK. Yes I agree I wish they could explain the differences a little better. I shot paper with some yesterday sighting in a scope ultimately for Barnes ttsx but I was pleased with the grouping  considering I was huffing and puffing and sweating profusely.
View Quote

My assumption, and it is an assumption, is that it’s like a VMAX in a broad sense. Like comparing it against FMJ or soft point etc, to give a general explanation of the round for the masses, but that when looking closer at the bullet it’s not meant to frag as shallow as a vmax and supposed to retain weight more akin to a TMK.

But unlike the VMAX and TMK there’s not a ton of analysis on the round at the moment yet either. If it turns out to approximate TMK performance at its price point, especially if it shoots as straight, it’ll be a huge hit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#10]
From a previous thread on AAC Sabre Blade:

Quoted:
It's a ballistic tip with excellent expansion and we made the jacket a little thicker than Sierra TMK to increase weight retention. It is more a beefed up Sierra TMK.

View Quote

Quoted:
There are a total of 4 30 cal Sabre Blade Black Tip rounds, the 110gr is probably best described as close to a V-Max, the 125gr, 150gr and 220gr versions are a little closer to a hornady SST. All four are being released in 300 BO and the 150gr is also being released in our 308 series which is being launched early August.

View Quote

@Jman_JJE
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I am looking forward to trying the 150gr Sabre Blade Black Tip in 308 Winchester which is expected to be released in August.
A slightly heavier projectile would be preferred for 308 hunting, but 150gr should be good.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am looking forward to trying the 150gr Sabre Blade Black Tip in 308 Winchester which is expected to be released in August.
A slightly heavier projectile would be preferred for 308 hunting, but 150gr should be good.
View Quote

It’s looking like the first week in September now.

Mrgunsandgear released a detailed gel testing video.

I’m not sure how to imbed a YouTube video, but if anyone else knows how it will answer most everyone’s questions.
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#13]
AAC Sabre Black Tip Ballistic Tipped 5.56 Gel Test & Review ????
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I’m not sure how to imbed a YouTube video, but if anyone else knows how it will answer most everyone’s questions.
View Quote

I’m not sure this the video to which you are referring, but here it is
Did Blackout Score the Knockout?...Sabre Blade .300 AAC Blackout, AR-15 Self-Defense AMMO test!
Link Posted: 8/23/2023 11:17:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

@Jman_JJE
Can you tell us the BC and minimum expansion velocity of these Sabre rounds (for 300blk and 5.56)?  

I'm really curious about that 110gr round and how thick the jacket is.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the 5.56 loads to test down to 7.5" barrels. I hope to attack it within the next month or so.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 11:31:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have the 5.56 loads to test down to 7.5" barrels. I hope to attack it within the next month or so.
View Quote

You planning on testing the 77gr TMK as well?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Good video.
I bought 200 rnd initially, will be getting more.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#19]

I also thank you for providing this link. Was hoping to see more accuracy reporting but it's a start. Maybe Molon will come thru fairly soon? I also would like to see similar reporting on 300BO and I'm also very curious to see what 7.62X39 as well as 7.62x51 has in store for us if and when it comes out.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I also thank you for providing this link. Was hoping to see more accuracy reporting but it's a start. Maybe Molon will come thru fairly soon? I also would like to see similar reporting on 300BO and I'm also very curious to see what 7.62X39 as well as 7.62x51 has in store for us if and when it comes out.  
View Quote

Given his response to this ammo so far, I wouldn’t hold my breath

I’m refreshing the page constantly hoping for 7.62 or x39 options to be on there
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 10:57:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You planning on testing the 77gr TMK as well?
View Quote
During these tests, probably not. They didn't send any of it during this round.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw the Sabre Blade Black Tip ammo .308 Win 150gr available one day (9/21), and sold out the next (9/22).
Seems like the factory is shipping it to PSA in batches, looking forward to continued supply.

EDIT: 9/23/23 Now it is back in stock.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top