Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2003 6:30:58 PM EDT
Is it normal to be able to rotate the rear sight on A2 upper about a few degrees from left to right? This just seems like it would make the upper were difficult to sight if at all? Any suggestions as to how to remove the play from the rear sight? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The play/twist in the rear sight is normal.

There is a single detent and spring in the left side of the sight housing only.  This makes the sight housing track the right side of the upper receiver as the sight is rasised and lowered.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#2]
That was my assumption, thank for you answering the question, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I put a dab of JB weld on the oppposite side of the rear sight from the spring (at the bottom, the same as the spring).  I then dressed down the bump of JB until the the front sight was in alignment with the bore.  This doesn't help accuracy much on a rear sight that doesn't have a hood, but I think it looks better!  Make sure you clean the metal with degreaser before you apply the JB.  It doesn't hurt to rough up the metal a little with a fine grit sandpaper first also.  I'vd heard of others using pieces of a feeler gauge or a small weld bump.  I thought the JB was easier, and it hasn't worn or fallen off in years time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#4]
This play is normal, as long as the sight returns to position when you let go of it, under spring pressure.  I've shot plenty well with sights like this.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top