Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/4/2003 12:54:54 PM EDT
Dear List:

My RRA A2 buttstock came with some discoloration at the sling "swivel" insert.  It is darker than the rest of the stock, and appears to be adhesive that oozed out of the swivel hole.

Anyone else experience this, and have ideas for cleaning this off?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not an adhesive, it's lubricant... AR's love to ooze their lube.

You can degrease the area to remove the lubricant or you can give the whole stock a good rub down with CLP using a black t-shirt which will give the stock a uniform deep black...

It'll look much better if you use the CLP trick, the stocks don't look that great chalky grey, IMHO...
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I used CLP...Break Free brand...on my lower, before I had the thing all together.  After a few days, it was covered in a white residue.  There are many guys who like CLP, but what is with the residue?  Why is CLP recommended over plain old gun oil?  I also use FP-10, and like it very much.  By the way, I did hit that stock with FP-10, and now it looks GREAT!

Thanks for the tip, DarkStar.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:16:34 PM EDT
[#3]
The residue is very possibly small flakes of Teflon that Breakfree CLP has in it (though newer versions may not have it).

CLP is a cleaner, lubricant and protectant.  Plain old gun oil does not contain the cleaner.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#4]
My RRA A2 buttstock also came with some discoloration on the buttstock. The best stuff to use on the furniture is Armorall..the plastic dressing and preservative used in cleaning and detailing cars.  Cleans all of the solvents off and gives the furniture a  nice even dark color.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top