Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2014 6:16:48 AM EDT
Is there anyone that makes a A1 profile lower besides going the 80% route? NDS seems to have an indefinite wait time for their receivers and my google-fu has failed me in finding one elsewhere. I have a A1 kit that I want to build into a clone and I would like to get it as close to the real thing as I can. I don't have a milling machine or the skills to operate one at the level it would take to do a decent job of converting a A2 to A1 specs. Also cost is a factor, by the time I buy an unfinished receiver and pay someone to reprofile it, and then buy the jig to open up the trigger well, I will have 2-3 times what I figure I could buy one for that was already done.

So, is there any other options? Anyone here have one for sale?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:29:06 AM EDT
[#1]
NDS posted their wait times recently in another thread but if you need one now, this is probably your only other alternative at the moment unless you find a preban.

http://store.mckay-ent.com/featured/m16-a1-lower-receiver.html
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the link. Those look pretty good, I just wish they hadn't marked the right side "safe" and :semi".
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:16:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the link. Those look pretty good, I just wish they hadn't marked the right side "safe" and :semi".
View Quote

You're going to fit in here just fine I think. LOL.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#4]
There is a trade off we have to have here in Retroland. Manufacturer markings, then engrave around them or 80% that looks perfect, but is a lot of work. NDS is the cream of the crop when it comes to finished A1 lowers. They do a crazy amount of hand work to get them as close as the ATF will allow to original Colt lowers. McKay offers an A2 re-profiled lower that has some issues currently, but does resemble an A1. We also have access to the A2 80% lowers that artists like Braceman prep with re-profiling and engraving. Of course as you noted, they still require finishing. Then there is the used, pre ban A1 lowers, but because of the ban states, they command a higher price for old lower quality lowers.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm weak, I said I was through. When the enabler above me said A1 blems were available I went to take a look. I saw they had black XM lowers and a new project was started.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I broke down and ordered one from NDS that they will send to Ident Marking for the engraving. In the mean time I have an A2 lower that I will fill in the billboard on the side, paint it grey and use until the NDS is done.

How I got so anal about this is totally beyond me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I just got 2 80's. now I got to check out an A1 lower, since I ned one for my A1 retro rifle.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How I got so anal about this is totally beyond me.
View Quote

Welcome to the disease...
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I would definitely go with NoDak Spud LLC for all of your retro lower needs. Hey I just made a NoDak commercial! Lol
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Got my black partial fence blem today I'm pretty happy so far. Fit is good despite NDS saying it might wiggle a bit.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top