Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/5/2014 6:16:48 AM EDT
Is there anyone that makes a A1 profile lower besides going the 80% route? NDS seems to have an indefinite wait time for their receivers and my google-fu has failed me in finding one elsewhere. I have a A1 kit that I want to build into a clone and I would like to get it as close to the real thing as I can. I don't have a milling machine or the skills to operate one at the level it would take to do a decent job of converting a A2 to A1 specs. Also cost is a factor, by the time I buy an unfinished receiver and pay someone to reprofile it, and then buy the jig to open up the trigger well, I will have 2-3 times what I figure I could buy one for that was already done.

So, is there any other options? Anyone here have one for sale?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:29:06 AM EDT
NDS posted their wait times recently in another thread but if you need one now, this is probably your only other alternative at the moment unless you find a preban.

http://store.mckay-ent.com/featured/m16-a1-lower-receiver.html
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 6:47:11 AM EDT
Thanks for the link. Those look pretty good, I just wish they hadn't marked the right side "safe" and :semi".
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:16:59 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Highpower308:
Thanks for the link. Those look pretty good, I just wish they hadn't marked the right side "safe" and :semi".
View Quote

You're going to fit in here just fine I think. LOL.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 7:44:17 AM EDT
There is a trade off we have to have here in Retroland. Manufacturer markings, then engrave around them or 80% that looks perfect, but is a lot of work. NDS is the cream of the crop when it comes to finished A1 lowers. They do a crazy amount of hand work to get them as close as the ATF will allow to original Colt lowers. McKay offers an A2 re-profiled lower that has some issues currently, but does resemble an A1. We also have access to the A2 80% lowers that artists like Braceman prep with re-profiling and engraving. Of course as you noted, they still require finishing. Then there is the used, pre ban A1 lowers, but because of the ban states, they command a higher price for old lower quality lowers.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 8:19:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:00:37 AM EDT
I'm weak, I said I was through. When the enabler above me said A1 blems were available I went to take a look. I saw they had black XM lowers and a new project was started.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:20:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2014 10:21:12 AM EDT by Highpower308]
I broke down and ordered one from NDS that they will send to Ident Marking for the engraving. In the mean time I have an A2 lower that I will fill in the billboard on the side, paint it grey and use until the NDS is done.

How I got so anal about this is totally beyond me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:22:26 AM EDT
I just got 2 80's. now I got to check out an A1 lower, since I ned one for my A1 retro rifle.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:09:49 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Highpower308:

How I got so anal about this is totally beyond me.
View Quote

Welcome to the disease...
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:25:26 AM EDT
I would definitely go with NoDak Spud LLC for all of your retro lower needs. Hey I just made a NoDak commercial! Lol
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:23:57 PM EDT
Got my black partial fence blem today I'm pretty happy so far. Fit is good despite NDS saying it might wiggle a bit.
Top Top