Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2003 8:00:24 AM EDT
I bought some clear plastic mags at local gun show for my Olympic 9mm upper. The have rolled leaf springs attached at the side near the top of the magazine, which I have been told is a Ramline design (the seller didn't know, and there's nothing on the magazines to indicate the maker). Then work fine. They are straight sided, about the length of the 20 round .223 mags, which means I can use them with a low bipod. I later got a longer version of the same mag at the Tulsa show, this one is about the same length as the standard adapted Sten mags. That seller said it was originally sold by Olympic. I'd like to find some more of the short ones, if anyone knows a source, and any information anyone has about who made them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#1]
the last 9mm Olympic upper I bought came with a clear 10 rnd. mag like that, back in 93-94. The older Olympic upper I have came with a block like Socoms and Sten mag. I don't think Olympic sold those plastic mags very long. I've never seen them advertised either. Call Olympic and see who made the mags for them would be your best bet. Myself I just cut the Sten mags down. There a very simple mag to shorten up.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Those mags were mag by RamLine for Oly Arms I believe, I cannot quite remember the exact manufacturer. They had thousands of them made, almost all of them are gone now. Some that survived the fire remained the last time I saw some.

I do know this, they stopped using them because they had a tendancy to crack and fall apart, esp the high cap thirty rounders.

They do use them occasionally for post ban ten rounders when stens are not availible or practical.

They do use them almost exclusively on the Simunitions Training uppers, I used to do the milling on them to make them function correctly. They get milled in three places, front flat of mag side, mag catch area and the follwer gets buzzed down abit.

Just on the simunitions mags, I dont remember what the 9mm mags had done to them.

Then they are cut down to size to only allow ten shots, and the bases are superglued back on and then the base is dipped in blue rubber for indentification purposes.

Alot of work for a mag.

Sooner or later they will run out and it will be interesting to see what Oly does for the Simunition Upper mags.

My advice is to keep a close eye on any plastic oly 9mm mag, watch for cracks, if they fail see if Oly will replace it with a sten mag.

BTW-There are two types of Oly 9mm plastic mags, clear ones and smoke colored ones, the smoke colored ones had a higher failure rate. So high that military contrators refused them for use, so stay away from them at all costs. When I worked on them myself they had many flaws and were somtimes already cracked.

Fritze Out
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top