Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2003 3:09:57 PM EDT
I am going to buy a 9mm upper or possibly complete gun at the end of the month. I am still undecided between the colt and oly system and whatever it is I want it to be a quality product. First I have a few questions. I see that ASA is now selling complete 9mm carbines and would like to know if they already come with a 9mm hammer or would I have to change some stuff in the lower or ramp the carrier? Also what type of magazines does the ASA one piece top inserted mag block use and are their any modifications that need to be made to those magazines. Last question, Are ASA and RockRiver comparable in quality or should I go with a RR upper and build my own lower?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 6:31:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a ASA 9mm upper and block on a Rock River lower.It is very well made.I think their mag block is the best out there, It drops in from the top and cannot fall out,and no tension screws.The gun uses uzi mags with a mag catch hole milled in the side.I did buy a 9mm hammer and have had no problems.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:20:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I did really like the concept of how their mag block worked, and if I switch to a 9mm hammer is that the only thing in the lower I have to change and does the 9mm hammer work with the .223 carrier as well because I am probably going to be running  2 uppers off of one lower for now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 7:46:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Also does anyone know were the best place to get a ASA 9mm upper is and how much it would cost. I checked their web site and it doesn't list it. I see that I can get the 9mm I want from Rock River for $425.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure about the ASA, but I just ordered my Rock River ($425) from Sable Co for $375.

http://www.sableco.net/

Joe
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#5]
That's a really good price, I think I have made up my mind I am going to get a rock river A4 car length 9mm upper
9mm hammer
9mm heavy buffer
spacer for full length tube
CAR buffer spring
ASA mag block
lots of UZI mags

This is pretty much all that I need to get this set up running properly, right?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]
What's wrong with the RRA mag block?  Is the ASA better somehow?  I thought they both followed the Colt pattern?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:27:34 AM EDT
[#7]
The Rock River and Colt blocks are identical. The ASA looks a little different and I cannot comment. The RR 9mm set up is very nice and works.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:14:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What's wrong with the RRA mag block?  Is the ASA better somehow?  I thought they both followed the Colt pattern?
View Quote

RRA block is held in with pressure from two little plungers and you tighten it with an allen wrench.  The ASA drops in from the top and can not fall out.  The only down side to the ASA is that I omits the bolt hold open feature to allow it to drop in from the top.  That only applies to Colt mags though, so no big.  Most people are not going to spend over $100 per mag for the Colt mags.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I want to get the RRA colt patters with RRA mag block.  Is there going to be a problem using my exsisting lower, or should I get a dedicated lower for the 9mm?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#10]
your lower should be fine with a new 9mm hammer.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Or just get JoeBlack to ramp your 9mm bolt and you can use whatever hammer you want.....SHAMELESS PLUG #2 JOE!..........LOL.........UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Or just get JoeBlack to ramp your 9mm bolt and you can use whatever hammer you want.....SHAMELESS PLUG #2 JOE!..........LOL.........UNDERDOG
View Quote

thank you    thank you, 20 plugs per customer per board please!!!!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top