Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/1/2005 12:13:57 PM EDT
After some thinking I decided to build my own 9mm ar15, after the whole oly arms debacle (still waiting for my $...).

Anyways, I have ordered most of the parts I need. I am going the RRA style route.
On RRA's site they say that a 9mm buffer is needed, so:
1) What does the buffer do?
2) Do I really need it?

ty
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:35:32 PM EDT
Depends.

Most people that have the 9mm setup have a collapsing stock. In that case you need a 9mm buffer. Take out carbine buffer put in 9mm buffer. The 9mm buffer is heavier than the carbine buffer. Since it is a blowback system more energy is forced back vs AR15 which is a gas system. Even w/ a 9mm buffer the recoil is more noticeable in the 9mm carbine than in a rifle mode.

If you have an A2 stock then you can probally live with it. Some people change it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:56:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lakemoor:
Depends.

Most people that have the 9mm setup have a collapsing stock. In that case you need a "9mm" buffer. Take out std carbine buffer (@2.9oz) put in 9mm buffer. The 9mm buffer is heavier than the carbine buffer. Since it is a blowback system more energy is forced back vs AR15 which is a gas system. Even w/ a 9mm buffer the recoil is more noticeable in the 9mm carbine than in a rifle mode.

If you have an A2 stock then you can probably live with it. Some people change it.

The ""9MM"" buffer is a CAR style buffer that weighs very slight bit more than the std A2 rifle buffer (5.6oz vs 5.1oz).....

I prefer the std rifle stock, but due to my running a suppressor, I took and gutted my buffer body and installed a machined brass dowel to fit inside, bringing the weight to 7.0oz, this provides a delay in the opening, and reduce the amount of debris I get from the port.

Top Top