Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 6:25:36 PM EDT
A friend of mine gave me a RR 9mm upper to try out, it wouldn't fit his bushy lower for some reason. I tried it on my RR lower, and low and behold, the same problem. The bolt won't return all the way forward. Neither of us have any experience with 9mm uppers, is this normal? are we doing something wrong? is there a release for the bolt?

Please help, I can't remove this upper because the bolt is locked back into the stock. How can I remove the upper? And what needs to be repaired?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
A friend of mine gave me a RR 9mm upper to try out, it wouldn't fit his bushy lower for some reason. I tried it on my RR lower, and low and behold, the same problem. The bolt won't return all the way forward. Neither of us have any experience with 9mm uppers, is this normal?
YES --- you have hammer #3 in both your lowers..... right.....  You need to use hammer #2 (the one with the spring still attached). The hook at the top is snagged in the groove on the bottom of the std 9mm bolt.....

are we doing something wrong?
YES, see above

is there a release for the bolt?
NO, must push the take-down pin and pivot pins out, and wiggle the upper-lower to unhook the hammer so bolt will drop forward.

Please help, I can't remove this upper because the bolt is locked back into the stock. How can I remove the upper?
See answer above

And what needs to be repaired?
No repair, use the right hammer, see pic above, hammer #2 if semi auto, #1 if M16,  and have the bolt ramped by joeblack, and enjoy your new caliber rifle. The bolt in the pic has been "ramped".
Thanks

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:58:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A friend of mine gave me a RR 9mm upper to try out, it wouldn't fit his bushy lower for some reason. I tried it on my RR lower, and low and behold, the same problem. The bolt won't return all the way forward. Neither of us have any experience with 9mm uppers, is this normal?
YES --- you have hammer #3 in both your lowers..... right.....  You need to use hammer #2 (the one with the spring still attached). The hook at the top is snagged in the groove on the bottom of the std 9mm bolt.....

img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/capttoyota/ARhammers-9mmbolt.jpg

are we doing something wrong?
YES, see above

is there a release for the bolt?
NO, must push the take-down pin and pivot pins out, and wiggle the upper-lower to unhook the hammer so bolt will drop forward.

Please help, I can't remove this upper because the bolt is locked back into the stock. How can I remove the upper?
See answer above

And what needs to be repaired?
No repair, use the right hammer, see pic above, hammer #2 if semi auto, #1 if M16,  and have the bolt ramped by joeblack, and enjoy your new caliber rifle. The bolt in the pic has been "ramped".
Thanks

+1
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:59:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, so I need a new hammer.  Does the bolt also have to be ramped?  RR sells upper that down work without modifying them?

I have taken both take down pins out and I can't get this thing apart.  I can see where the hammer is protruding into the bolt, but I just can't seem to get them apart.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:10:28 AM EDT
[#4]
O.K. first of all you dont need a new hammer.
I respect SBR7_11's opinion, but I dont agree 100%.  
I had the exact same problem, all I did was ramp the bolt myself and Viola!
Gun goes Bang!  
I have a Bussy lower with a two stage trig and I did not want to mess with the hammer.
I looked at the bolt and saw what was needed, just a little dremmel work and you are done.
I would be happy to post some pics as soon as I can.

I almost forgot about your bolt problem!
If you need to you can pull the charging hadle back till the hammer gets unstuck, remember you dont need to pull the bolt all the way back,  then with some sort of un marring divice push the hammer down while riding the charging handle forward keeping an eye on your bolt, soon as it gets past the groove under your bolt let it go forward by itself.
If that does not work pull the handle back and keep releasing the bolt with the bolt release till it clears the hammer by itself.  You might get lucky and it might pass by on its own once or twice.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, as stated above, you are using a standard AR hammer.  You need to use either an M16 hammer or a 9mm hammer from RRA.  Switching the hammer takes less than a minute if you know what you are doing.  A second hammer is going to be cheaper than having the bolt ramped and is only a pain if you are planning on switching back and fort constantly.  Glad I read this though.  I'm leaving for the range in a few minutes and still have the 9mm hammer in my lower, need to remove it.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I had the same problem, and then I changed the hammer......no more problems.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, I had to drive out the pin that holds the hammer to get it apart.  But after I did they bolt slid froward and the upper dropped free.  Where is the best place to get a 9mm hammer?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks, I had to drive out the pin that holds the hammer to get it apart.  But after I did they bolt slid froward and the upper dropped free.  Where is the best place to get a 9mm hammer?

RRA. OR Adcofirearms.com
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:55:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:38:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:37:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You didn't like the other answer?

dont you just hate that
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:56:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#13]
FYI, if you ever have a problem with the bolt getting locked by the hammer again, Pachmayr Widget tool Works to get it freed up.

All you do is pull the bolt to the read, slide the widget tool over the hammer, and work the bolt home.
There is enough clearence to get the tool out once you get the bolr back over the hammer.

Don't ask how I learned this trick, just trust me......
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top