Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2019 12:16:43 AM EDT
I have tried to do some research but have primarily came up blank, so here goes nothing lol.

Is there a 80% lower receiver jig that has the jog templates for both a M16 Fire Control Pocket as well as an AR-15 Fire Control Pocket?

I really like the 5D Tactical 80% jig, how it has the depth charts right on the jig, and was wondering if somebody offers something like that, but with both an M16 and AR-15 Fire Control Pocket template?

Thanks for your time.

~Josh
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 1:11:06 AM EDT
[#1]
The 5D jig should do a deeper pocket. Just leave the #1 pins in and set the depth to the #2 setting. How deep you go before using the #2 pins is up to you.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 3:23:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The 5D jig should do a deeper pocket. Just leave the #1 pins in and set the depth to the #2 setting. How deep you go before using the #2 pins is up to you.
View Quote
I think it would do a deeper pocket, but the actual dimensions of the M16 Fire Control Group's pocket is considerably different in the rear in both shape and depth than a AR-15. I am looking for a jig that will do the straight back pockets of the M16 that includes the different depths in the rear, as well as be able to do the AR-15's curved-in rear pocket with a high and low shelf as to not accept the auto sear but allow trigger groups such as the Fostech Echo or a Drop In Auto Sear.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 3:27:57 AM EDT
[#3]

This is a basic picture of what I am talking about. I am looking for a jig that will be able to do pockets. It DOES NOT have to be able to drill the Auto Sear hole, but if it does, I won't complain lol.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 4:13:04 AM EDT
[#4]
They are out there. I remember seeing them somewhere years ago bit honestly dont remember the site.

If you have access to a mill its basically just going a little deeper and making the inner walls flush. Dont really think you even need a jig for it
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#5]
It has been a few years since I have seen any M16 jigs being sold, you can still get the sear hole jig, I see them various places every once in a while.

Milling a M16 spec lower is not difficult, if you have the drawings.

There are a few companies that are selling low shelf receivers.

One thing to remember that possessing certain combinations of parts can be charged as constructive possession and land you in jail for a long time with big fines.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I think it would do a deeper pocket, but the actual dimensions of the M16 Fire Control Group's pocket is considerably different in the rear in both shape and depth than a AR-15. I am looking for a jig that will do the straight back pockets of the M16 that includes the different depths in the rear, as well as be able to do the AR-15's curved-in rear pocket with a high and low shelf as to not accept the auto sear but allow trigger groups such as the Fostech Echo or a Drop In Auto Sear.
View Quote
Fostech Echo fits in a standard pocket lower.  DIAS needs a low shelf, but doesn't need the wider M16 pocket.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It has been a few years since I have seen any M16 jigs being sold, you can still get the sear hole jig, I see them various places every once in a while.

Milling a M16 spec lower is not difficult, if you have the drawings.

There are a few companies that are selling low shelf receivers.

One thing to remember that possessing certain combinations of parts can be charged as constructive possession and land you in jail for a long time with big fines.
View Quote
If anyone comes across a link to some of the jigs I’m looking for please post or pm me a link.

I know it is not difficult, I’m just looking for a jig that has the right templates w/ the correct depth gauges already on it.

I don’t have any M16 trigger groups or auto sears so I should be fine.

I just like the idea of already having the ability to build lowers to M16 spec so if I ever get my FFL’s with SOT’s I don’t have to buy a whole new jig.
~Josh
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If anyone comes across a link to some of the jigs I’m looking for please post or pm me a link.

I know it is not difficult, I’m just looking for a jig that has the right templates w/ the correct depth gauges already on it.

I just like the idea of already having the ability to build lowers to M16 spec so if I ever get my FFL’s with SOT’s I don’t have to buy a whole new jig.
~Josh
View Quote
I have done a few as a manufacture and you really don't need a jig to do one correctly, once you do one, they are really easy to do.  A drawing with the correct specifications and a manual mill with DRO's it is a piece of cake to do one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 11:14:56 PM EDT
[#9]
It's pretty easy with a mill. No jig is needed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 11:52:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have done a few as a manufacture and you really don't need a jig to do one correctly, once you do one, they are really easy to do.  A drawing with the correct specifications and a manual mill with DRO's it is a piece of cake to do one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Josh
Sorry for the dumb question friend, but what is a DRO?
~Josh
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe digital read out?
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:30:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Maybe digital read out?
View Quote
As J3_ said, it is a digital read out, so you know where your x, y, and z is sitting from your zero point.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 10:24:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As J3_ said, it is a digital read out, so you know where your x, y, and z is sitting from your zero point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe digital read out?
Thanks for the clarification.
~Josh
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 4:35:57 PM EDT
[#14]
New Frontier Armory

Machine Gun Guy

FTF Industries

Any of them should have what you need.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top