Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2007 6:12:39 PM EDT
Just finished an F Class  500yd  practice match and shot a 197-6x out of a 18" 1:9.5 Twist Kotonics barrel.  The ammo used was SSA (Standard Velocity) Military/LE 115 gr sierra fragmentation round (notice I didn't say SMK).  I have no idea what the velocity was, but it required 14.5 MOA from a 100 yd 0 and maintained elevation perfectly.  I had a little left/right drift that was my fault on several accounts.

1.  Some dumb a$% forgot his sling, which is not my favored shooting position.

2.  The same dumb a#$ left his Hi tech gee wiz Creedmoor shooting jacket with the aforementioned sling.

3.  I was giggling to much while beating Palma rifles.

4.  My Elbow was more slippery in a hooded sweatshirt than the above mentioned jacket.

Anyway the thing freaking rocked and was super easy to shoot.  Oh by the way the rifle
only weighs about 8.5 pounds.  Once again Tim's rifles rock! Even the ones that he has cast off for slower twist less grooved ones.

The 197-6 was the last of the three strings I shot the first one was a 194-4 followed by a 190-8.( got caught up in a nasty fishtail).  Anyway guys you should really quit yer pie throwing and start shooting.  You don't have to believe me, but if you wanna find out what it will do I'll show you (I prefer to fly business over coach).

P.S. Art From SSA I forgot to mention your ammo is the shit.  A Combat load maintaining aprrox 1MOA at 500 yds is freaking awesome.

ElSenor
Out.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup...6.8 mm is quite accurate.

As we previously reported, "The USAMU Oehler Model 83 at the Parks Test Range at Ft. Benning was used to chronograph the 6.8 mm 115 gr OTM fired out of the current 12" barrel configuration—average muzzle velocity was 2434 fps; military SOF personnel reported shooting 8" groups at 600 yards from the 12” barrel carbine variant, using a 4x ACOG."

The fact is that 6.8 is more than accurate enough for any combat engagements using a carbine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 10:21:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the update, looks like that 18inch barrel is the way I need to go!
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top