Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 8:36:07 AM EDT
Since I live in NJ, where we need to have non-threaded bull-barrels, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a non-threaded 16" or 18" barrel that is chambered for 6.8 SPC.  I am considering building up my new RRA stripped lower to a 6.8 SPC, it's also appealing to me since NJ limits us to 15-round mags, and PRI makes 15-round 6.8 mags.  Anyway, thanks for any help you can offer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#1]
No experience or affiliation, but check with www.ar15barrels.com/
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#2]
You could have your vendor perm. attach a muzzle break, if those are legal in your state.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#3]
There's actually no law against "muzzle breaks," but if attached over a threaded barrel they don't care, they'll treat them as illegal.

The NJ law actually consists of a list of weapons, including the M1 Garand, Colt AR-15, Colt CAR-15, AK and about 150 other "assault weapons."  Technically, they don't ban flash-hiders and other evil features, but a provision in the law states that "any weapon designed to be substantially similar to any firearm listed shall be considered an assault weapon."  NJ DAs have been instructed to utilize the ambiguity of that statement in the legislature to continue to enforce the Federal AWB, past it's sunset, on a state level.

The memo to NJ DAs, which is public record, is a verbatim copy of the Federal AWB, with instructions to continue to enforce the ban tacked on the end, with no actual legal backing, siting the fact that any weapon having an "evil" feature is "substantially identical" to any weapon on that list.

So, to be NJ-legal you can not have a bayonet lug (not to worried about that one as I was going to put a PRI front-end on it anyway), no threads on the barrel, no flash-hider and no collapsable-stock.  With further provisions banning any magazine with a capacity over 15 rounds.

My idea, based on what I have to work with, is to build what is essentialy an SPR clone in 6.8 SPC with an OPS Inc. SPR muzzle-brake on an 18" non-threaded barrel (probably have to weld it on) and PRI 15-round 6.8 mags.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Model 1 has 'post-ban' barrels in 6.8....model1sales.com
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#5]
As halfmoon already mentioned, I can make you a barrel with any kind or length, profile and gas system length...
I have OPS Inc brakes as well and it would not be a problem to bore out the threads, weld it to the barrel and machine it so that it blends to the barrel profile.

Randall
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Lived in NJ once. Now live in CO. One more reason not to go back. Life is full of choices.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
There's actually no law against "muzzle breaks," but if attached over a threaded barrel they don't care, they'll treat them as illegal.

The NJ law actually consists of a list of weapons, including the M1 Garand, Colt AR-15, Colt CAR-15, AK and about 150 other "assault weapons."  Technically, they don't ban flash-hiders and other evil features, but a provision in the law states that "any weapon designed to be substantially similar to any firearm listed shall be considered an assault weapon."  NJ DAs have been instructed to utilize the ambiguity of that statement in the legislature to continue to enforce the Federal AWB, past it's sunset, on a state level.

The memo to NJ DAs, which is public record, is a verbatim copy of the Federal AWB, with instructions to continue to enforce the ban tacked on the end, with no actual legal backing, siting the fact that any weapon having an "evil" feature is "substantially identical" to any weapon on that list.

So, to be NJ-legal you can not have a bayonet lug (not to worried about that one as I was going to put a PRI front-end on it anyway), no threads on the barrel, no flash-hider and no collapsable-stock.  With further provisions banning any magazine with a capacity over 15 rounds.

My idea, based on what I have to work with, is to build what is essentialy an SPR clone in 6.8 SPC with an OPS Inc. SPR muzzle-brake on an 18" non-threaded barrel (probably have to weld it on) and PRI 15-round 6.8 mags.

If you permanetly install them on a threaded barrel they are legal
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top