Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2010 2:31:01 PM EDT
Hi, I'm new on the forum. I joined because I figured this is the best palce for AR info and help. I would like to build a 6.8 AR. Any info on does and don't would be great. As of now I'm thinking of going with the Yankee Hill Specter Black Diamond.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=111534

Any thoughts?

Thank you JMIS
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#1]
good people over at 68 forums, will answer all your questions

http://68forums.com/
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hi, I'm new on the forum. I joined because I figured this is the best palce for AR info and help. I would like to build a 6.8 AR. Any info on does and don't would be great. As of now I'm thinking of going with the Yankee Hill Specter Black Diamond.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=111534

Any thoughts?

Thank you JMIS

My thoughts on that is this:

1. The price is too expensive for what you get.
2. The specs on the barrel/chamber are not the best considering the advancements made in 6.8 (SEE BELOW)

If you really want to be happy with your 6.8 and not have ANY regrets in the future, you will want to click on this.

ARperformance is an excellent company, whose owner has more experience with 6.8 today than most manufacturers will ever have in their lifetime. Look on 68forums or in the industry tab here on arfcom. I have a barrel/bolt combo and could not be happier with the quality of their product.

Whatever you choose, good luck and enjoy it.

ETA: all ITAR laws apply as I reside in the USA. -incase anyone was wondering-
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#3]
you could also do a search.  stuff is posted all over.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Wilson Combat also has some nice 6.8 barrels.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#6]
This is my next build/assemby core .$1315.00 18" Noveske 6.8 SPR w/VLTOR MUR upper+ a free stripped lower.Heres a helpfull  6.8 Upper Evaluation Thread.I would say  Noveske if you want the best. With the free Blem lower it's not too bad of a deal, IMO it blows the YHM out of the water for an extra 3-400$. You get what you pay for.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#7]
The SPCII chamber with .100 leade and 45 degree shoulder is the latest improvement. Barrel twist of 1 in 11 or slower allows the use of tactical ammo, or simply lowers pressure up to 5K from the peak.

Other than getting a bolt headspaced for that barrel, all the rest is based on common sense parts for your build. The particular optimum setup is a 16" midlength, because it will reach out to 400m. A longer barrel doesn't add much to power or accuracy, just length and bulkiness for the user. That doesn't mean other lengths won't work. The cartridge was based on a 14.5" barrel, and 16" is already longer - plus legal for over the counter sale.

It's a medium range hunting cartridge - it's meant to hit harder than 5.56 and cover the same ranges. With that in mind, low power scopes or red dots on flattop uppers fit the bill. It's a tactical or hunting caliber, making the gun tactical or hunting, meaning it shouldn't be black. Pro users don't use black guns, they camo them, and have since before the M16 was type classified. It was OD and grey in the first years.

Since most 6.8 shooters aren't wearing body armor, stancing squared up in CQC drills, use a fixed stock. And since even the principal spokespeople of KAC admit the average shooter doesn't need 48" of rail, like on the M4, use a tube with bolt on strips. Or avoid the expense with issue type handguards.

That's one way to look at it, with connected progressive application for what it does to a specific purpose. Everything contributes to a specific use.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top