Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2014 6:19:05 PM EDT
This is my first post of any of my builds.  I have multiple 5.56 builds and a 6.8 finished just before this one.  This is a 6.5 grendel.  A general rundown of the parts list
JP supermatch barrel and bolt 22"

JP lower parts kit W/O FCG

Magpul acs

Mega billet upper and ambi billet lower

Spikes buffer tube assemble with T2

PRI adjustable gas block

Yankee Hill rifle length diamond handguard rail

AR Gold trigger

Leupold  VX6 3-18x44mm

Leupold mount

The first target photo is 5 shots at 100 yards

The second target is 3 shots at 200 yards

They are both with Hornady 123 off the rack.  I could not upload, file to big, the 300 yard shots with Alexander ammo.  They were not as good, the groups opened up quite a bit.  The ammo was erratic compared to the hornady.  It ejected anywhere between 2 O'clock to 5 O'clock.  The hornady stacked up nicely every shot at 4 O'clock.  Every case hit withing a 3" circle we drew on the ground.  We used wolf ordered with the alexander from alexander to get on the paper.  Geez spray and pray with that crap, wasn't worth trying to group.  All together 45 total shots fired through this rifle today.  The first 45 of it's life.  It is an inside meaning referencing some personal stuff, but it will affectionately be named "the Dragonslayer".  Thanks for looking.  Lug

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell yes brother that's what I'm talking about. Great job on the build and component selection your skill as a rifleman is apparent
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 6:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool, congrats on the new Grendel!  I prefer the Hornady 123 grain also, I won't even let a box of Wolf crap in the house.  Sounds like it's doing well, I'm surprised though that the AA ammo was inconsistent, isn't it made by Lapua?  I've had very good performance from the AA .50 Beowulf ammo but I've not tried their Grendel ammo simply because I bought a large amount of Hornady 6.5 Grendel last year on sale.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cool, congrats on the new Grendel!  I prefer the Hornady 123 grain also, I won't even let a box of Wolf crap in the house.  Sounds like it's doing well, I'm surprised though that the AA ammo was inconsistent, isn't it made by Lapua?  I've had very good performance from the AA .50 Beowulf ammo but I've not tried their Grendel ammo simply because I bought a large amount of Hornady 6.5 Grendel last year on sale.
View Quote
I used a box of wolf from alexander, clean per JP instructions.  A box of Hornady from academy, clean per JP instructions.  Then 5 shots of Alexander which measured about 4" across.  I didn't do all the deviation measurement stuff, I don't get all fancy, I just point and shoot and measure from end to end.  The alexander wasn't bad but as I mentioned, the ejection pattern was erratic for every shot.  Not one case landed anywhere near the next.  It wasn't awful like the wolf.  But I will dang sure spend any more money on Hornady!!  I will take it back out to 300 again just ran out of time today.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Great looking rig, looks to be a tack driver as well. Good shooting.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is my first post of any of my builds.  I have multiple 5.56 builds and a 6.8 finished just before this one.  This is a 6.5 grendel.  A general rundown of the parts listJP supermatch barrel and bolt 22"
JP lower parts kit W/O FCG
Magpul acs
Mega billet upper and ambi billet lower
Spikes buffer tube assemble with T2
PRI adjustable gas block
Yankee Hill rifle length diamond handguard rail
AR Gold trigger
Leupold  VX6 3-18x44mm
Leupold mount
The first target photo is 5 shots at 100 yards
The second target is 3 shots at 200 yards
They are both with Hornady 123 off the rack.  I could not upload, file to big, the 300 yard shots with Alexander ammo.  They were not as good, the groups opened up quite a bit.  The ammo was erratic compared to the hornady.  It ejected anywhere between 2 O'clock to 5 O'clock.  The hornady stacked up nicely every shot at 4 O'clock.  Every case hit withing a 3" circle we drew on the ground.  We used wolf ordered with the alexander from alexander to get on the paper.  Geez spray and pray with that crap, wasn't worth trying to group.  All together 45 total shots fired through this rifle today.  The first 45 of it's life.  It is an inside meaning referencing some personal stuff, but it will affectionately be named "the Dragonslayer".  Thanks for looking.  Lug
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=60293
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=60295
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=60294
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=60292

View Quote

That is a balls to the wall build. The shooting aint too shabby either
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

The AA ammo is made using Lapua components.  
OP, dunno if you reload but if you do check out the 123gr Scenars. Great bullet in the 6.5G. I use those and the AMAX bullets in my rifle with great results.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I know the discontinued 90gr TNT loads from AA shoot 1 MOA or better in my 16" Grendel.

Precision Firearms 123gr Lapua Scenar shoot .79" at 100yds for me, with 7fps ES at 2450fps avg.

Hornady 123gr A-MAX box ammo shoots .8" to 1.1" at 100yds, and 1.7" to 2.18" for me at 200yds from a little 16" button-rifled barrel. These average 2470fps for me in 90 F temp.

My CFE hand loads push the 123gr A-MAX to 2550fps easily, without being anywhere near pressure signs in the mid 2600fps. I saw velocity departure from the trend at 2648fps, and 2698fps with that ladder of CFE, loading to 2.275" COL with Lapua brass. My Hornady dies have the old large .071" de-capping pin in them, so it opens my Lapua firing pin holes up.

Looking forward to getting my Lilja barrels.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Beautiful rifle. Hell of a shooter too! I looked at the JP barrels, but settled for a 24" Krieger instead. I may do another build using JP just to have both.

Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice rifle and nice shooting, .. Lilja sent out my Grendel barrel today so hopefully soon I can have a post like this :D
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Update I had time to go out and shoot 25 more rounds.  The first 9 I forgot to tighten the screw on my caldwell rest.  I was wondering why it wasn't shooting as tight.  I tightened it and shoot 16 more.  I shot 9, reload 9, reload 7.  This is the result.  I know it is shooting right but I only hade a few minutes and just wanted to squeeze a few off.  This was only 100 yards.  Not too bad.  I am now a firm believer in JP Rifle barrels.  Thinking about doing a .308 with a JP now.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#11]
How long did you have to wait on your JP barrel?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:20:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

What he said...
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:13:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
Less than two weeks from time of order to ship.  They are in stock, shipping was fairly expediant.  Best barrel of any caliber I have ever owned.  

Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Less than two weeks from time of order to ship.  They are in stock, shipping was fairly expediant.  Best barrel of any caliber I have ever owned.    
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, that sounds promising.  I wonder if they will cut a barrel down to 20" for me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:30:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks, that sounds promising.  I wonder if they will cut a barrel down to 20" for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

cut, crown, and re-thread is $100 and add about a week wait for the barrel to go through the shop.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top