Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 4:18:08 PM EDT
I just recently bought a Colt AR15A2 Carbine with 16" light barrel that has a 6520 model number. The guy in the store told me that this particular model number is hard to find due to the light barrel and thus is a bit more sought after. I bought the gun because I liked it and did not pay much attention to his info really brushing it off as a sales pitch even though he seemed like a pretty straight forward guy. He runs a pretty good store and I have bought a few guns from him.

But after buying it I have been looking for it at other stores and gun shows and I have indeed had a hard time finding it if at all and when I do it is a lot of money.

So do I have something people do prize a bit more than others or was he blowing smoke?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually the one I ordered through my shop just pitched up today... I wanted it because, well, I wanted a Gov't Carbine.
I don't think there is much rare about them, most people want a flattop to mount optics on. In fact, I had originally bought this to sell the upper and use the lower to register for an SBR. I like it and am going to keep it for my collection and just SBR something else.
Mine has the LE/MIL warning, which I am told Colt quit doing. All the distributors are freakin' backordered, luckily another shop cut us a deal.

I'm actually suprised Colt is still turning them out considering a flattop is a better platform.

To answer your question... I don't think Colt makes as many as they do the 6920. I think the people want a 6520, well, they want one. I think a majority of the AR buyers prefer the 6920.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:33:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#3]
You got top of the heap AR. There are different configurations, yours is an A-2 lightweight. If this config. suits you, you are well equipped.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#4]
6520= Sweetness

Great carbines; light, quick, fast handling.  A blast to use.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They are great rifles, I have one and want another....but its nothing rare or special. I hope your dealer didnt make you pay a premium for it.

Right now, the shiznit is still the M4A3 type carbines (6920, one other one) or the uber custom uppers (recce, spr, dmr, blah blah). Eventually someone in the SF world or the contractor world will order a upper from someone here with a super light barrel....the frenzy will hit....then i will sell my 6520 upper for enough to buy 2 more full ARs or something

The LW bbl profile started to come back (at least on this site) around '01-02 or so.

I bought an R6530 back in '00 (the preban days).  Then the 6520 was shit-hot and preban versions were going for sometimes $2K+.  Now the new 6520's are just another Colt rifle, albeit with a LW bbl (which is in favor).

I think the crown jewel these days is a medium profile midlength 16".  Those can be had from a couple of sources.  I got mine from Sabre (through twl/MGI).  There is also Bravo Company rolling their own.

The debate between LW and meduim profiles can go on, but I the consensus seems to be that for those who have a choice, the midlength gas system is the way to go for a carbine.

YMMV.

Corey
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:21:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. I like it a lot. It feels a lot lighter than the standard version which I like for a carbine. I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks guys. I like it a lot. It feels a lot lighter than the standard version which I like for a carbine. I'm happy with it.

The important things!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top