Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2016 9:52:44 AM EDT
I have about a month before my trip to WY to eradicate prairie dogs. Unfortunately, my range time is limited or I would buy and handload a bunch of different ammo and work this out myself. I'm looking to either buy or handload the best possible round for my new AR build.
My rifle has a 1/8 twist, 20" LaRue Stealth barrel, chambered in .223 Wylde. I can get a 3/4" five shot group at 100 yards with Federal Premium Gold Medal 77 Grain Sierra MatchKing Hollow Point Boat Tails. Optics and all other parts are great, so I'm not worried about anything but getting the ammunition tuned in quickly for some long distance, precision shooting.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I have about a month before my trip to WY to eradicate prairie dogs. Unfortunately, my range time is limited or I would buy and handload a bunch of different ammo and work this out myself. I'm looking to either buy or handload the best possible round for my new AR build.

My rifle has a 1/8 twist, 20" LaRue Stealth barrel, chambered in .223 Wylde. I can get a 3/4" five shot group at 100 yards with Federal Premium Gold Medal 77 Grain Sierra MatchKing Hollow Point Boat Tails. Optics and all other parts are great, so I'm not worried about anything but getting the ammunition tuned in quickly for some long distance, precision shooting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
View Quote

I was killing prairie dogs in AZ out beyond 350 yards with Australian Outback 55gr BlitzKing ammo. It's like $10/box right now, and it flies great in all my rifles. At that time, I was shooting with an 18" WOA SPR barrel.

If you want something that will buck the wind better on long shots, I'd look into Sierra's newer 69gr or 77gr Tipped MatchKings. Either factory loaded by Black Hills, or roll your own. I've taken a ground hog at 400+ yards with the 77gr version.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive had great results with sierra blitzkings in 50 gr and ramshot tac powder. I can check what the powder charge was tonight. PSA had a varmint round on sale some time ago and reports were that it was very accurate. Looks like its no longer on thier website though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ive had great results with sierra blitzkings in 50 gr and ramshot tac powder. I can check what the powder charge was tonight. PSA had a varmint round on sale some time ago and reports were that it was very accurate. Looks like its no longer on thier website though.
View Quote

I think you're referring to the Federal 50gr Varmint Tipped ammo. Many on here have mentioned that it flies well.

You can still find it for about $.50/round: http://ammoseek.com/rifle-ammo/Federal-50grains-?ikw=varmint&nr=20
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:11:38 AM EDT
[#4]
If you can find Fiocchi Exacta 50 gr V-Max give it a try. Not expensive and I get very good accuracy out of both 1/9 and 1/7 barrels.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:54:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think you're referring to the Federal 50gr Varmint Tipped ammo. Many on here have mentioned that it flies well.

You can still find it for about $.50/round: http://ammoseek.com/rifle-ammo/Federal-50grains-?ikw=varmint&nr=20
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Fed. 50gr Tipped varmint is very accurate out of every rifle I have seen it fired from.

100yds, benched , scoped, front bag, 20" Kreiger 1n7.7 twist...IMHO... it is an outstanding deal even at $10 / 20rds.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you can find Fiocchi Exacta 50 gr V-Max give it a try. Not expensive and I get very good accuracy out of both 1/9 and 1/7 barrels.
View Quote

+1 on the Fiocchi 50.  I get 1MOA or better 5-shot groups with my Rainier 18" 1:8 Wylde.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Just checked my data, 50gr blitzing with 27.5gr Ramshot TAC clocks at 3315fps. Very accurate in both my Rock River rifles.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top