Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/7/2003 12:36:23 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy a couple 40 round mags, like
USA, Precision, Western, etc. I know these are not USGI. I'd just like to know what runs and what doesn't. Anybody have experience with these
hi-cap mags?
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Stick with USGIs in 20rd and 30rd (aluminum), or british 30rd and 40rd (steel) mags. the british 40s (sterling manufactured) are pretty expensive though. Get a mag-clench and save yourself some dough.
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with Freakzilla but.... if you got to have a 40, I've had good luck with a Federal Ord mag I bought years ago. You might find one at a gun show since I believe they were bought out by some other company . At any rate, USGI almost always works 99.9% of the time. A Beta C-mag is the other option @ 100 rds. They work but your wallet will be a lot lighter once you buy one!
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#3]
So basically 40 Rounders from some of the manufacturers I,ve mentioned just don't work well? There seems to be plenty out there.

I don't have to have a 40 rounder, I have enough(?) 30 rounders, I just thought it would be nice to have a couple.

Maybe I will try to run down a couple from Sterling and see what they go for.

Appreciate the input. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/8/2003 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#4]
i bought 2 40rnd usa mags and expected them to work well because usa mags have always been good to me...but youre lucky if you can fit 40 rnds in them and they wont feed...i bought 10 of those steel mags from tapco and only one doesnt feed reliably...
Link Posted: 4/8/2003 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had very good luck with FedOrd and PMI 40-rounders, which were made on the same pressing / tooling (FedOrd owned it first, then it went to PMI). The steel is thick enough that it doesn't flex. I have one particular mag I've owned for more than a decade and must have emptied hundreds of times, mostly in full-auto dumps. Still runs flawlessly, as do the less-used ones.

Every other 40-rounder I've seen or tried -- USA, Western, etc. -- was stamped out of thinner steel on different machinery. First off, the geometry is off; second, the sides flex in and out, and when full they swell out so fat they simply won't feed.

Still, while PMI/FedOrds are fun and reliable range mags, I only trust USGI for serious work.
Link Posted: 4/8/2003 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#6]
What does PMI stand for? Are they still made?
Thats all i'm really interested in, is a couple of hi-cap mags to use at the range.
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 5:59:32 AM EDT
[#7]
If you absolutely have to have a couple of 40 rounders, I have two I bought when I bought my Bushy M4.  they are Bushmaster's mags, but are made by a different company, not sure who (I think USA). IM me if you are interested.
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#8]
PMI stands for Precision MAG Industries, according to the floorplate on mine.

As far as I know, production of these stopped when the 1994 hi-cap mag ban took effect. I have never seen a post-'94 LEO version.
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#9]
What's a fair price for a PMI 40 rnd NIW?
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks a bunch for the offer Procop, but I think I'm gonna rethink the 40 rounder thing.

Faltothebone - I think I saw Precision mags in
Cabelas catalog. Thats what got me thinking about them and who may make decent ones.
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#11]
what about the Thermolds that are 30rd mags but have the extension that will allow 40rds
(or 45rds, I don't remember?)

someone said that was just for storage to reduce spring "fatigue"  ?????

Link Posted: 4/30/2003 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone have any first hand experience with the 40 rnd mags BM sells?  I've got a couple I haven't had a chance to use yet and I'm curios to know if I'm going to have problems or not.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a 40rnder from BM and it would not lock into place in my BM, so I sent it back for a refund.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top